Original Jazz Classics (OJC) Discography?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gordolindsay, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi there, does anyone have a link or know a site that lists all of the Artists/Albums that are on the OJC label?

2. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

SOONERFAN likes this.
  3. Hank

Hank Senior Member

I have an Adobe.pdf of the 2004 Fantasy 208-page catalog, which includes everything (jazz, blues, soul etc) released up till January 2004. Nice because it includes cover art, catalog numbers, personnel, and tune listings. A big file to receive in your email though (43.8 MB). PM your email address if you're interested.

4. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Are '80s OJC vinyl titles considered collectible?

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IMHO it depends how do you think with the word 'collectible'.

6. bw

bw Forum Resident

This is a great resource. A couple of years ago someone posted this and I downloaded a copy. I use it all the time. You can get an idea of what was released on SACD and K2. I've only found a couple of times that are not listed on it.

7. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Are they worth any money?

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I think so as long as they are available cheaply.:) They are really good products.

9. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Jazz experts! Quick question for you all: in terms of the OJC albums that are currently available new in stores, is the mastering the same excellent quality as those from the 80's and 90's before Fantasy changed hands? Or did they have all new engineers and new equipment which changed the sound for the worse? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I believe the vast majority of OJC LPs continue to be pressed from all-analog sources. I've yet to hear a bad-sounding one.

11. David Beckwith

Thanks! I was actually referring to the CD's. Sometimes the convenience of CD's is not to be discounted even though I am a vinyl guy these days!

12. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

The OJC LPs are excellent for the money, but you can do better if you spend more money.

13. David Beckwith

For sure. But I'm generally of the feeling that if I'm getting reissues I might as well get high quality CD's.

For vinyl 9 times out of 10 I prefer the original. Unfortunate for my wallet!

14. westcott

westcott Member

If you're buying new don't be surprised if the occasional CD is actually a CDR. I've had two recently, both ordered new through my local indie: Larry Young/Testifying and Shelly Manne & his Men/Live at the Black Hawk Vol. 4 (1, 2, 3 & 5 were fine ). They sound great, anyway.

15. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

That's the first time I've heard of OJC CDRs. Are they legit or knock offs? If legit, then perhaps Concorde is only re-releasing in small batches? How is the cover art?
    I buy a lot of OJC warehouse cutouts at Newbury Comics (a New England chain), you'll see Newbury listed as a market place supplier at Amazon too. Just wonderin'.
    FWIW, Trevor.

16. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

The Hampton Hawes All Night Session thread had a discussion about CD-R copies from amazon:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...night-session-ojc-cds-wonderful-cheap.271136/

17. westcott

westcott Member

This was also discussed over at Organissimo. Even though these are almost certainly official releases I think they should still be considered cheap knock-offs. Both stamped and burned copies sell for the same price. I've seen a few others besides my own. The disk label is sometimes a stick-on. The booklet can look like a fuzzy/pixilated laser copy, probably from a low-res PDF. The better ones I guess are later printings?

I've picked up around 50 new OJCs in the past year, all from my local b&m seller, and only the two I mentioned were CDRs. Seems to be a lottery.

At least Amazon itself usually gives fair warning, but who knows what stock the market place sellers have?

Smithsonian Folkways has also been doing this for quite some time now. As the old stock runs out only CDRs are available, but with the same high catalogue prices.

18. David Beckwith

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The durability of a CD-R can be significantly lower.

The collectible/resale value of a CD-R is certainly lower. Instead of making CD-Rs, labels could move to lossless downloads altogether.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Wow, I knew it! I just bought a Dexter Gordon The Panther from HMV last week, and thought something seemed off with the CD. The CD booklet looked like a cheap folded print job, and the CD is clearly a CD-R. Sounds great though, but for $10 I prefer to have an original. Does HMV know they are selling CD-R's? Why would the record company do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.