Original UK Mono Pepper vs. 2014 mono Pepper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnyard Symphony, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnyard Symphony

Barnyard Symphony Sunny Days Thread Starter

Hello,

Has anyone play tested the original UK mono Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club album with the 2014 version that was just released? Are they comparable? Any help is appreciated.

LitHum05 and DK Pete like this.
  2. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Hey there - considering this - a NM mono Pepper is big $$$. Be careful on original pressings - I just got ripped off on a 69 Y&B pressing with a huge amount of groove damage.
    Edit: sorry that was a YB stereo copy.

I have another original pressing that is VG+ and I like the repress better. I think it sounds fresher.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I slightly prefer my Original -- seems more balanced to me -- but StateOfTheArt is correct in that tracking down a nice Original is a crap shoot, especially given that lots of online sellers vastly exaggerate the conditions of their items.

4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I preferred the 2014 to the point that I offed my original UK pressing. No regrets, but I've since gotten a much better amp so I wish I could compare the two again.

LitHum05, Rickchick and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They *are* comparable but the 2014 *is* an improvement in both aspects of clarity and low end. The remastering also makes the mix sound a bit "cleaner" and less cluttered than the original.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. For me, nothing matches the originals. But the 2014's are certainly an awesome option and no slouch. If I had to do it all over again Id probably just get the 2014's and be happy. Also saved more.

One day Ill probably sell my originals and keep the mono lp boxset and the bluebox stereo.

canonlon, ssmith3046 and Leonthepro like this.
  7. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Tell me where I can even find a mono repress affordably

8. StateOfTheArt

Scott - the only places I see them is overseas, they are around.

lawz likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

He was right when he said that the 2014 mono would be worth money one day. I have a UHQR copy and I agree with his comments on that pressing.

StateOfTheArt and Leonthepro like this.
  11. StateOfTheArt

I like how he says he's stockpiling them - smart man.

ODShowtime and Leonthepro like this.
  12. StateOfTheArt

Nimbus and Audio 5 = best stereo IMO

Squad 701 likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

He owns his own record shop so he should. Wish I was into vinyl back then. Actually, I wish I was for every record I missed out on ;^D

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

I'm just the opposite. I'll probably keep my original pressings and sell my box one day. I've barely touched it since I bought new.

All Down The Line and longdist01 like this.
  15. Leonthepro

You know, I feel similarly about most boxes I have. I used to love the idea of them since it can be so awesome, but I soon realized that you just barely play them. Maybe because I already had the albums in normal sleeves, or because I then feel obligated the finish the whole thing.
    Sold by Mothership box of Led Zeppelin cus of it. It sounded pretty bad anyway ;^)

APH and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. StateOfTheArt

I feel you - sometimes I feel like I'm being manipulated into buying certain sets. But most, I'm happy I did.

17. ssmith3046

If I didn't have original Parlophone mono pressings I would have definitely played the records in this particular box set. It's one of the best ever done IMO. But I understand what you mean.

18. StateOfTheArt

OK - I just A/B'd both pressings. UK original mono vs. (2) 1st press mono. I can say with confidence 2014 wins. Crisper is the word that comes to mind. Higher definition.

Super super close though with the second pressing I had, especially on Mr. Kite. They really nailed these.

19. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Anyone know where I could find a 2014 Mono ?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

lawz likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The new ones pulled back the upper midrange where there had been an emphasis. As a result, the midrange is more open. The new ones also go a bit deeper in the bass. Finally, these were mastered solid- state. I believe the originals were tube mastered.

So in the end, they're tonally a bit different. Each has its supporters. They're both great in their own ways.

22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I think I know what you mean to say. :confused:

"(2) 1st press mono" refers to two 2014 LPs?

23. Kenneth Gerber

Kenneth Gerber Well-Known Member

The man in the video is spot on .( a caveat here. They are Parlophone YELLOW logo labels, NOT GOLD ! The gold was a banner label U.K. first two pressings of Please,Please Me ,they go for a fortune if I. EX condition ) In any event ,the first U.K. mono is killer, but like all others it depends on how close you are to the master . I’ve got five copies , all sound great, but the one with 1-1 mothers,and one or possibly two digit stampers are noticeable better sounding . I’ve got all the Beatles first U.K. pressings in Ex to NM condition, but I have not heard the 2014 pressings , apparently I should . I also agree on the 76 reissues ,biggest Stereo bang for your buck. One thing the man said that I can’t stress enough. CAPITOL RECORDS ARE GARBAGE ,EVERYONE OF THEM . I was lucky to have an English mother, I got on the Parlophone band wagon early on. The world has changed in the past fifty five years . Original UK pressings in the stores were around 1-2.5£ . at the time the pound was over $2.00 , still you’re looking at $3.50-$5.00 NEW in the sixties . Technology has changed the landscape ...

ODShowtime, AnalogJ and Leonthepro like this.
  24. StateOfTheArt

Sorry! 1st press mono meaning original pressing Parlophone (-1 stampers) vs 2014. o_O

Dinstun likes this.
  25. StateOfTheArt

Slightly off topic, I know :hide:

Do you think the 2014 Mono WA will see the same fate? Those are everywhere I look still. Online and B&M.

I guess enough people loved the Stereo 2012? :shrug: I thought the 2014 WA was killer as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.