Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I watched a little of that video and the frames were still loaded with dirt.

Is that the final "fan restored" version?

The clips Mike Verta produced were far better.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Which video are you referring to?

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Can't be Harmy's. That's super clean. No dirt at all!

andrewskyDE and Jerry Horne like this.
  4. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

2017 is almost over, and no sign of the original theatrical versions actually coming out.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet that Kathy Kennedy (current president of Lucasfilm) will be making the interview rounds next month, and one hopes somebody will ask her, "hey, when the hell are you guys ever going to release the original theatrical versions of all the Star Wars films on home video?"

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

This interviewer had his chance but chose to dance around the question rather than asking it in a straightforward manner. The look on Kennedy's face is priceless. She clearly didn't understand the question. It's at the 2:55 mark.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

;)

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

If it were happening in 2017 it would've been announced months ago, for pre-orders. Our next best (new) hope is probably 2020, when Fox's home video distributions rights for the original film expire.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's not going to happen folks. 20th Century Fox and Disney would make tons of money off of it. But I have a feeling that George Lucas put something in the contract when he sold to Disney that the original theatrical versions would never be released. Don't you think that if it was going to happen, it would have already happened? The only way to officially get the originals is the 2006 Special Edition DVDs which have the poorly-done Laserdisc transfers, the actual Laserdiscs themselves or VHS tapes. You can also do some digging and find high-quality transfers aka "Despecialized Editions" done by a guy named Harmy. But this goes into legal grey areas and no-no's so check the laws where you live first. And I thought I read somewhere that 20th Century Fox completely owns Star Wars: A New Hope and that the rights do not transfer to Disney in 2020.

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

There's no legal impediment to the OT theatrical versions being (theoretically) released... that's essentially been confirmed by Kathleen Kennedy herself; when Lucas sold out - in all senses - to the Mouse House, he signed it all away... Disney made sure of that for a $4bn price tag!!!

It will happen eventually... but not before either the person running Lucasfilm grows a backbone and decides to go against the wishes of their founder and former boss, and/or until Disney gets the rights to all SW films in perpetuity.

Place your bets now on which one will happen first...

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Do the rights to the first film actually transfer over to Disney in 2020? I thought 20th Century Fox totally owned the movie forever.

12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

20th Century Fox own the rights to Star Wars - the 1977 film - in perpetuity since the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm in 2012 because they both financed and distributed said film, unlike the subsequent two sequels and prequels, which were financed/produced by Lucasfilm and merely distributed by Fox.

Disney own the rights to all SW films except the 1977 one from May 2020 onward... unless they purchase Fox's film division, which they have been in negotiations to do of late... so all bets are off.

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

They're just waiting to finish the new trilogy..........then all 9 will be released in a gargantuan box...............making you buy the first 3 again!
    :D

scobb and supermd like this.
  14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

But will they be the original theatrical versions of the first three? :D

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I actually don't mind the new CG Yoda in Episode I, as it fits well with Eps II and III.

I also think the original puppet works, so either way...

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There should have just used the puppet from Empire. Yoda never looked better.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, but he was only 870 years old in Episode I. ;)

Encuentro likes this.
  18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Foam latex doesn't stay supple after 20 or so years. The puppet is probably preserved, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in usable condition.

Lost In The Flood and Encuentro like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

So... let me get this straight. The original trilogy will never be issued in their original formats?

20. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

All supposition here. No one actually knows but we hold out hope.

Ed

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is exactly what I was told by two different insiders. Lucas truly did walk away from all of his film empire. BTW, part of what he's spending his money on is a $1 billion investment in the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in downtown Los Angeles, which will be a huge, sprawling building close to USC and the Memorial Coliseum:

[​IMG]

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

I think if they do another Indiana Jones film, Lucas might come back as a "consultant" or something, and maybe even contribute a story idea, but I tend to doubt he'll take an active role.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That was literally the WORST way he could have phrased that question. Jesus Christ.

anthontherun, Encuentro and Plan9 like this.
  23. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

If you love Star Wars you probably know most of this but it's still a very good presentation.

24. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Dear George Lucas,

You are not a film editor. Stop editing. Leave it to the professionals.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

andrewskyDE, Dude111 and bru87tr like this.
  25. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

I'd give my soul to the devil to finally have these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.