Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It's not impossible. I used to be fully immersed in the Harmy editions at home, they're not more than 720p.

Solaris and supermd like this.
  2. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

I was heartbroken too. I really thought getting the theatrical cut might be that easy. Foolish me. I hit up Warner Archive on Twitter about it, and they basically said they don’t have any plans for the original cut. At least regarding Star Wars, we have he hope of Disney doing it. With THX 1138, it doesn’t sound like there’s even enough interest in the theatrical cut to justify any of it, and even if there was, I’d bet Lucas won’t want it released anyway, and I’m sure that in this case, he has the last word.

3. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I prefer Adywan's Star Wars restores. Excellent stuff.

4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

They (Lucasfilm/Fox and soon Disney) can, but they should be starting from the original camera negatives (OCN). A print is a few generations away from the OCN so doesn't have the same quality.

Why haven't they done it? They simply don't want to at this point in time.

5. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

You may want to update the thread title to 2018, or maybe 21st Century, to be safe.

[​IMG]

Luke The Drifter, budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

And there's a lingering question as to the existence of a complete OCN for Star Wars. Certainly the sections used in the special editions have beeen scanned and restored but we don't know the condition of the shots that were replaced.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes.

bferr1 likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

What is meant by “crushed?” I’m familiar with the term “crushed blacks.” Is that what you’re referring to?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, crushed blacks: no detail, kind of muddy. A lot of theatrical prints have this same problem. Low-contrast prints are better, but nothing has the detail of the original camera negative.

Clipped whites are the brightness version of the same problem, where the white detail has kind of been sheared off and blown out due to overexposure.

enro99, budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  10. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

The word has always been that the original negative is basically gone, conformed to the special edition. would it still be useful in as bad of shape as it was in back in the 90’s?

11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

He's adding things that weren't there originally, like George Lucas but without the license. A fun fan project just because, but not the kind of thing I'm interested in. If you're going to go to all that trouble, I say just make your own movie (and maybe he will -- wouldn't that be a great way to get into filmmaking).

budwhite, Rhett and Encuentro like this.
  12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I don't like to watch movies on my computer unless it's the only available option. I used to use USB flash drives connected to my Oppo blu-ray player but I've since switched to a spare 2TB portable hard drive I had that pretty much stays plugged into the player all the time unless I'm transferring files to it from my computer.

I also have an external USB blu-ray burner but I don't often burn discs with it unless I'm dealing with an ISO disc image.

budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  13. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I put them into iTunes and watch them on my TV through Apple TV.

LivingForever and Encuentro like this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

MKV file>NAS>Oppo BD>Projector>114" scope screen

Robert C and Encuentro like this.
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

If I'm understanding your question correctly, the answer is no, it - the camera negative for the 1977 film - was not in any usable state prior to the 1990's restoration... it was badly faded, scratched up, torn, and basically on the point of disintegration; it took a reported $10m and two years of work to restore it back to health. The negative as it exists today - conformed to the Special Edition version, ditto the two sequels - is well preserved and likely still in pristine condition... all three films' camera negatives were re-scanned for the 2004 remastered DVD release, but they managed to screw that up, although theoretically they could be scanned again at any time; in fact, the recent and much-discussed 4K transfers of the OT were almost certainly taken from the altered negatives.

If the newly-restored negatives had been scanned prior to being altered back in the mid-1990's, it would have made things a lot less complicated, alas...

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

How do you do that? I have a hard drive with some movies on it that I watch through my Oppo, but I'd love to see how they'd look through the AppleTV.

17. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Turn on home sharing on iTunes, then go to “Computer” on Apple TV and you’ll see your iTunes media mirrored there.

bferr1 likes this.
  18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I watch mine by running a hard drive through my Oppo. Indeed, I have transferred many of my physical discs to the 4TB portable hard drive that I run through my Oppo. Works like a charm.

bferr1 likes this.
  19. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

MKV > USB (the trilogy just fits on a 64 GB drive) > Roku 3 > Roku Media Player > 50" plasma TV

[​IMG]

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Original as far as Editing/CGI altered, or with Original effects that have visual issues also?

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Well that's the argument. Some say they should be presented absolutely original, FX errors and all, otherwise you embark on a slippery slope that leads to the special editions anyway.

More sensible people say that the films should be presented as absolutely best as possible while still adhering to the original 1977-1983 vision of the films. That means fix errors, really clean it up, recomp effects (if possible) that looked particularly rough back in the day, and provide a clean, shiny (but not processed to death) new vision of the original trilogy. But with pros like Vidiot suggesting that all you'd need to get rid of some of the most egregious issues like garbage mattes is decent film grading (I think!), I happen to think the films could be restored extraordinarily well.

Whether that'll happen or not is anybody's guess.

supermd, Higlander, Encuentro and 4 others like this.
  22. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Plex

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

There are a few weird edits in the original film that Lucas DIDN'T fix. Think of Luke turning off his light saber when they were on the Millenium Falcon while training blindfolded. There's a really odd edit when he turns it off that's still in the newest altered blu-ray versions. There were other things, too, and I would rather have the whole films as they were because Lucas didn't even bother to fix some of the worst edits in the films. He went overboard with CGI instead.

enro99 likes this.
  24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Fix the technical errors. Garbage matte's, wampa stick, etc. That is all it needs.

25. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Don’t fix anything.

If you want the originals, take them as they were released. That’s the whole point.

As Vidiot said, a restrained, proper color correction is all you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.