Ortofon 2M Blue, low volume

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mrtn77, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I've just brought home a Ortofon 2M Blue stylus to replace a worn-out 2M Red.
    The thing is far from burned in, since I've been using it for a hour, if that, but I'm rather worried by the difference in volume with my previous stylus, given their output should be similar.
    Nothing else seems amiss for now, but I'd rather react quickly if there's an underlying issue.
    Any thoughts ?

2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Strange. What tracking force you apply? And is the volume difference minor, or really noticeable?

3. Mrtn77

I haven't changed the tracking force (1,9 g I'd say) since switching the stylus, and the volume difference is, indeed, noticeable. Not to the point where I'd think the stylus is clearly busted, but the difference does seem wrong : where I used to set my amp at a low to mid 2, it's now at a high 3.

4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm not sure what to suggest, but if you just replaced the stylus (without doing any other adjustments), you may first check if the weight of the new stylus is the same by checking the balance of your arm (it have to be the same, but who knows..). Also increase the tracking force to 2.1-2.2. If you can adjust the VTA, lower it a bit (the feeling that the volume is lower can be result of lack of bass, the Blue have a great bass, but needs a tad lower VTA and some breack-in, the Red have more "meaty" sound in general). Not sure if my suggestions can help, but at least you can try without risking anything.

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just had a look at the specs, The output of both cartridges as packaged from the factory are identical at 5.5 mv, The stylus tips are exactly the same elliptical shape, the cantilevers the same, the tracking force exactly the same. The only published difference is the frequency response to 25k for the blue, which tells me the blue has a tighter quality control, selected to tighter tolerances vs the red.

You should not have any volume difference. I guarantee the problem is not break in, nor the tracking force being insufficient. (even reduced bass tracking would not be so different)

Where did you purchase the stylus? I wonder, can it be you received a counterfeit stylus? The only other possibility is a factory defect.. smaller magnets. That's all I can think of.

Have you tried the old stylus to see if the volume difference changes? This would eliminate the possibility of any other cause other than the stylus itself.

delmonaco likes this.
  6. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I have to add that based on my expirience, the Blue and Bronze are very VTA sensitive, while the Red not so much. So if the volume difference is not that big, wrong VTA can be the reason. Of course if it's really big there must be some other problem.

7. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Volume should be the same. If you are sure the new stylus is fully seated, you may have a defective stylus. I think I recall a similar problem on one of the forums (this one I think) with the 2M bronze stylus, and it turned out to be defective.

8. Mrtn77

Thanks to all of you.
    I've made sure to push in the stylus as much as it would go.
    Seems the thing might be a dud. A quick google search led me to a vinylengine.com in which someone had encountered the same problem, brought his stylus back to his dealer, who'd taken it back.
    I've written to my own dealer (a reputable French store called http://www.son-video.com/) and will see what they say. I've also written to Ortofon themselves.
    In the meantime, I'd rather not put the old stylus back in if I can help it, as it was very worn.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  9. GyrodecMan

GyrodecMan Active Member

I hope it's not defective but just out of interest does your amp have a MM/MC switch at the back? I accidentally flicked it one evening connecting something else & I thought I busted the cartridge or had a loose head shell wire.

10. Mrtn77

I use a MM only Rega Fono Mini : no chance of any unfortunate flicks there !
    (I also checked the cartridge wires just in case, and they were all firmly in place.)

11. Mrtn77

Hello again all,
    I've just received a fairly tardy answer from Ortofon's French distributor who has this to say (my translation) :
    "The 2M Blue's stylus is compatible with the 2M Red and output levels for these two cartridges are indeed identical. Output levels are not determined by the stylus itself but by the cartidge's coils and inner gear, so I think your 2M Red is even more worn than you think."
    This seems very weird to me as the output level had not lowered at all before the stylus change.
    I'll had that I've been using the Blue stylus since last writing, and while the output level doesn't appear to have changed much with burn-in (I must have around 50 hours with it by now), its sound doesn't seem elsewise compromised or problematic.
    Any thoughts ?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What they are saying is right, the body produces the signal and should be unchanged in volume. There seems to be some suggestion that the old stylus was somehow louder because of wear. I don't get that part at all. I would take a moment to recheck the general alignment because not every stylus and cantilever is going to be exactly the same. Other than that, I would say you are fine.

13. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I had the same problem that you are writing about. The Blue output is lower than the older Red. I was lucky that I could take both my carts in and show the sales people what I was talking about. If you can take your cart or stylus into the store and get them to compare your Blue to a new one of theirs I am sure that would at least show if your Blue is defective. Worth a shot if you can do that. The 2M series is popular so maybe even go to any audio store that had one on a record player and ask if they can swap yours in for theirs to see if the sound changes. Take your Red as well and see if you can produce the results that you are getting at home. Good luck. ...

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Put the red back on if you have not already done so, check volume level. Use a back up LP if you think it's too worn for the good stuff. Volume OK? If so, plug the blue back in and recheck. If the volume is fine on the red and not the blue....I can't help but think it's a connection issue with the stylus, whether with the insert or internal, I've had the same thing happen, and I was sure the stylus was all the way in, yet it was not.
    Good luck!

ThorensSme and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

no reason a worn stylus should be louder. Its a bad cart or bad connection.

The Pinhead and ThorensSme like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.