Ortofon 2M Bronze, a review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stefan, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

If it is about the same, then it is your phono preamp that is limiting you from hearing the majority of difference. This is where majority of people will experience as they keep upgrading their cartridges without looking at their phono preamp and the rest of their equipments.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I didn't say they sound the same, I said they track about the same.

3. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

My bad!

4. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

I spent a lot of time tweaking the setup with the Black (especially azimuth and SRA), but I never got it to handle sibilance as well as the AT. It's a little odd that the Bronze, which should be in theory an inferior stylus, would be able to track better than the Black.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually, I've read comments in a couple of forums on the web that claim the Bronze handles some situations better than the Black. I suspect it has more to do with the shibata stylus being slightly more sensitive to setup and arm matching than the fine line, but it's possible. I know I read quite a few comments over the years that the old OM40 model didn't sound as good to some as the OM30.

6. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Very interesting. The Bronze is sounding even more attractive. The Black and Bronze generators are the same and the styli aren't too different but the Bronze is a good deal cheaper.

Stylus dimensions:

Bronze: 8 x 40 microns (0.315 x 1.575 mils)

Black: 6 x 50 microns (0.236 x 1.969 mils)

7. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

OK, hold on, I think my stylus IS defective! I decided to remount the 2M Black because of this thread and broke out the macro lens to see what was going on:

[​IMG]

The azimuth is way off, even after rotating the headshell in my 1200 as far as I could. So my assessment of the Black has been off as well! I bought it months ago, but I'm gonna get in touch with my dealer to see what can be done.

Robert Chauval likes this.
  8. zoeinterloper

zoeinterloper New Member

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>` ·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Nice, Stefan the Ortofon M2 Bronze has been toward the top of my list now for some time and this review is most helpful.

Happy Analogue Listening!

9. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Bump for an old thread.

I'm going down to my dealer today and upgrading my TT from a Pro-Ject Debut III to most likely a Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 or, depending if the price is right (demo model, sale or something), perhaps a model from the 9 series. Looking at throwing on a Ort 2M Bronze. I have had the 2M Blue on the Debut and it's a wonderful sounding cartridge for 200 bones.

So thanks for the review Stefan and others, it's looking like this maybe my dream cartridge (without breaking the bank).

Can't wait the 4 hours until the store opens!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Tombby likes this.
  10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have a Blue that I had on my Well Tempered and switched to a Bronze...very nice and smooth. Put the Blue on my Traveler.

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The Bronze is an excellent cart. I use it for years already, and it keep sounding better and better.

12. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Another happy Bronze owner here, it performers as the OP has stated to my ears here as well, nice review.

What tiger says about the phono stage has some merit, I'm not attacking the 640 here, but I had a loaner one and I get so much more from the Bronze with my upgraded BHL phono compared to the 640.

Just worth considering the phono stage when looking at upgrades IMO.

Robert Chauval likes this.
  13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have one in my RP6 and love it. Prefer it to my dynavector 10x5.

Art K likes this.
  14. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I had a 10x5 on my Well Tempered (as well as a P5 and P3-24) before the 2M Blue and definitely prefer the Bronze over the Dynavector.

15. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

What did you end up getting? I have the 5.1 and love it. I'm running the Blue that came with it but my next cart will most likely be the Bronze

16. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

They were out of most models from Pro-Ject, but the dealer had a demo of the Xperience Acryl so I ordered one. When it arrives, they'll be putting on a Ort 2M Bronze :)

[​IMG]

17. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Very nice. Will be a huge step up from the Debut III

Kitlope likes this.
  18. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Yeah. I'm never gonna leave the house!

Gasman1003, Ash76 and Ortofun like this.
  19. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have an Ortofon 2M Bronze on my 34 year old Thorens TD160 BC/SME 3009 Seies II Tonearm combo.

I got the cartridge in November last year and the turntable has never sounded better.

It really earns its keep!!

May get a 2M Black stylus next, but this really does sound lovely on my modest system

Might just invest in a valve phono preamp instead, decisions, decisions!!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, TimArruda and Ortofun like this.
  20. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Nice review Stefan on the 2M Bronze by Ortofon, it is a very resolving cart, isn't it? Picked mine up in Germany for the equivalent of about 300USD back a couple years ago and have never regretted the purchase, one bit. I found it very picky though (as most line-contact styli) about SRA alignment and can understand why some folks have found it a bit bright or edgy or just overly analytical, yet I don't thing they had the SRA/VTA just right. When it is aligned right though, it becomes sweet AND detailed as anything one could possibly expect (or maybe more, much more) for this price point. It is kind of surprising that all its other stable mates, above (black), and below (red & blue) have received such accolades and it has nearly gone without mention, puzzling. I've experienced that over the years Ortofon have had very close to spec alignment of their cantilever position to headshell mounting surface on all their products, so even without a USB scope their carts can be set-up very well without too much pain. Wish we could say that about most cart manufacturers.

I've had it on three arms now with great success on each, including employing it when I wrote a revue on the 12 inch String Theory Pete Riggle Woody tonearm. I felt the Bronze performed beautifully and was very telling in evaluating that arm. This cart actually revealed each of the arms personalities with intimate detail and handled like a champ through difficult tracks and was unremarkable in that respect. I've been mostly into MC carts for the last couple decades and this modest MM made me rethink by bias. It's been one of my favorite MM cartridges, heck, one of my favorite carts (period). And the ability to swap out to the Black's Shibata stylus is just another bonus!

I couldn't agree more whole heartedly with your observations about the Bronze both on sonic personality and tracking ability, it's another real winner for us and Ortofon.

Ash76 and Gasman1003 like this.
  21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Good review. I really like the general descriptions and findings around this cart, and it's definitely on my option list come next upgrade time.

22. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend what would work well with a 2M Bronze on a Pro-Ject Debut III? I am looking for something with a little upper freq boost. Tube? Solid State? Something under 400?

23. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I put a Bronze on my Pro-Ject Carbon. I know it is pushing that TT's limits, but man does it sound sweet!

Gasman1003 and John Bliss like this.
  24. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

What do you mean by "metallic" highs?

25. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

I have a pro-ject 2xperience with a bronze cartridge... What tracking force do you use? I read that the 2m blue gains in qualitywhen the force floats around 1.9-2.0 ... Is this the same for the bronze?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.