Ortofon 2M bronze to black question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dmann201, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2m bronze to the 2m black stylus and just wondering if this would require a re alignment of the cartridge or can the black stylus just plug in with similar alignment?

DanBNash and Heckto35 like this.
  2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

No, the stylus should just plug in though it wouldn't hurt to recheck. But it shouldn't be necessary.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It looks a little goofy, but apparently you can plug the Ortofon 40 stylus into the 2M body. The 40 has a Fritz Geiger 70 stylus, which is technically superior to the Shibata on the 2M Black. Also, the 40 stylus is over than $200 less.

McLover, AaronW, Leonthepro and 3 others like this.
  4. macster

macster Forum Resident

Call me crazy but the 40 has a little air as in artifacts on the high end.

M~

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Hard to tell from a YouTube video...but from just listening on my PC speakers it sounds to me like the 40 has a slightly better high-end extension and is a bit smoother. In any event, my point was if one didn't care about the look, and wanted to save some $200 or so, the 40 stylus can be used to good (better?) effect with the 2M body.

Night Rider and Heckto35 like this.
  6. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Hmmmm....so would the OM series styli fit the 2m blue as well?

Heckto35 likes this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good question. Supposedly there's some difference in the 2M Red/Blue body and the 2MBronze/Black, but I don't know what it is.

It's probably better to just buy an OM body for $70 and the 40 stylus for $300 (or buy them together from somebody like KAB for $350) and you've got a better cartridge all around I think, for half the price of a 2M Black.

The FRiNgE, Heckto35 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Agreed!

M~

snorker likes this.
  9. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Yes, just a small adjustment of VTA to achieve proper SRA (stylus rake angle) for that stylus profile (Shibata). Make sure to recheck VTF also and not be far off from 1.5 grams.

Dmann201 and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. AmericanHIFI

Also check for correct azimuth as this stylus is sensitive to it and adjust (if your tonearm allows it).

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Don’t do it. I sent me Black stylus back and kept the Bronze. The Black was picking up an insane amount of groove noise and dirt that the Bronze just ignored. I’m picky about that, so if you are, too, better stick with the Bronze.

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There are several good threads that have been on this subject. There is a wealth of information in them. I did a first impressions post when I bought the Black stylus. I have a Vinyl Nirvana, Thoren's TD-160 Super TT, midnight edition.

Congratulations on an excellent stylus suggestion @snorker! :pineapple: Imagine a money saving suggestion in higher end audio. I'll have to acquire one as a back up to the Shibata, thanks!

Another suggestion, check eBay and find a seller in Germany. You will get a much better price on either a stylus or a cartridge there. Since you are talking about something that is both small and light, shipping will be real inexpensive too.

I bought my Black for about $350, slightly used, from a seller in Germany.

The thoughts of @crispi have been echo'd by other users as well. I will say that there is truth to the Black fishing more noise out of the groves, along with more detail. Seems they both come hand in hand.

I switch back and forth between them and I have the Black in there now. That is the great thing about this 2M cart, you can change the stylus to fit your mood and the record that you are playing. I think that is GREAT!

The Bronze is "smoother" and gathers less surface noise. With that regard, it is the quietest cartridge that I have ever owned.

On the other hand, the Black is deep and organic. The one plesant suprise for me, with the Black, is the far heavier and more natural the bass was. I was not expecting that at all.

13. finnsbo

finnsbo Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying one of these for my Thorens 160 table. My tonearm is a SME 3009-R (12.8g mass) and wonder if the resonance frequency is something to be alarmed by?

With the cart installed the resonance frequency will be 7.587 Hz. My understanting was that 8-12 Hz is recommended, but Ortofon states that optimum is between 7-12 Hz.

14. Smokeybuns

Smokeybuns Well-Known Member

They sound exactly the same.

The FRiNgE and mtrot like this.
  15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Same here.

Smokeybuns likes this.
  16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

$750 for the 2M Black. $350 for the OM 40. And the OM 40 is actually better with inner grooves because the stylus shape is superior. So, what was Ortofon doing here? Their older cheaper product is at least as good, if not a bit better...

Heckto35 and Leonthepro like this.
  17. Smokeybuns

Smokeybuns Well-Known Member

I’m just glad I’ve moved on from using records. Too much stuff to keep track of.

Doug Walton likes this.
  18. AmericanHIFI

Yes, IMO it is a bit high of tonearm mass. Maximum I have found to work well (audibly and technically) was 11 grams. I vouch for 8-12 Hz.

19. AmericanHIFI

It should end up sounding a bit bottom end heavy, and putting a bit too much pressure on its suspension long term (regardless of correct VTF setting).

20. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, I hear no difference, the most comparative "sameness" I've ever heard.
    You tube frequency resp at 480p at the time of this post, brick walls at about 16 kHz, but very flat up to that point.
    Going to higher resolution affects only the video.

21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Many thanks for sharing this video from YouTube.

At present on my Pro-Ject 2 Xperience SB DC Turntable I'm using an Ortofon 2M silver. Whilst I've greatly enjoyed this setup, I have for most of the last year been considering an upgrade to either the 2M Bronze or Black. However, after reading many reviews and comments here and elsewhere about the nightmare setup issues of the Black and it's over sensitivity to noise within the grooves of a record, I've been leaning towards the Bronze. I was not able to make the final decision until you posted that Youtube clip above. Now I've decided to go down the route of using an OM 40 stylus with the body of the 2M Bronze/Black. Once I have this all set up, I shall report back with my thoughts and observations.

DanBNash, nosliw, punkmusick and 2 others like this.
  22. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

I prefer the OM10-30 over the 40, since the 40 is a bit noisy. I do think that the FG stylus is not 100 % well polished as e.g. the original vdH. Below is two tests including OM10, OM40 and Shure V15Vx/SAS using the same loading (in random order). It is quite easy to spot the different cartridges if you know what to listen for.

Test 1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg7jvan3n1utq ... 1.wav?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xctejqiodxhm0 ... 2.wav?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/la72yf970339b ... 3.wav?dl=0

Test 2
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5jtwvvzw9h1p ... 1.wav?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j15j4bkuy4rh1 ... 2.wav?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvqe4uypaimhm ... 3.wav?dl=0

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  23. hodgo

Having arrived on Friday, I managed over the weekend to get the 2M Bronze cartridge and OM 40 stylus all set up.

At first I set it all up for the bronze stylus, I then gave it a run through using the first of my two chosen test records, Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop". Immediately I noticed differences between the Bronze and the 2M silver that I was replacing. The Bronze had a noticibly warmer sound, at the same time it pulled more from the grooves and added more definition and clarity to the instrumentation. I then followed this up by playing the Pure Pleasure release, "Louis Armstrong Plays WC Handy" with equally satisfying results.

All in all, I highly recommend this is as a top quality replacement for anyone thinking of an upgrade to their existing Red, Silver, or Blue Stylus and Cartridge.

The big test came the following day. How would removing the 2M Bronze stylus from it's cartridge, then replacing it with the OM40 Stylus work out, would it mean more work setting it up and would the end result be worth it?

After checking everything anew, it turns out that the existing cartridge alignment is also perfect for the Bronze/Black cartridge with the OM 40 connected in place of the bronze. All that was needed was just to rebalance the arm to accomdodate the new stylus, then off we go playing some records.

Once again playing the same two test records, there was a noticble difference in the sound coming out of the speakers. For starters and this is by no means a negative thing, the OM40 wasn't quite as warm as the bronze, what it did have however, was even more clarity and definition, it also has a much beefier sound. That put a smile on my face the moment I heard it, because at that moment, I knew I'd not made a costly mistake and that I had in fact made the right decision in trying this combination.

I have to say, I would expect any stylus that picks out more definition and clarity from the music would also pick up a few more imperfections within the grooves. Whilst the OM40 does exactly this with the odd crackle here and there, it is certainly not a noisy stylus by any means, in fact I highly recommend it as an upgrade to anyone.

24. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Well, I do not really believe that the stylus shape per se is a problem, but that the OM40 is not polished to the highest standard, e.g. compared hat of the original OM40 vdH. Higher friction means higher HF noise, something that is not heard from e.g. the Namiki micro ridge. The noise difference is around 6 dB compared to the JICO SAS and also to the ATOC9 micro ridge.

The polish, or lack of, the FG70 makes me be sceptical.

[​IMG]

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. hodgo

Thomas, what noise does your OM40 pick up, are you talking surface noise or something else?

Heckto35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.