Ortofon 2m Red vs Blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jonno, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I'm keeping the whole thing, will use the PR1 with the OM3 back in to play my second hand records.
    I'll try the arm on the PR6 but the arm it comes with looks great?

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have a 2m Blue on an RP6. Great match. It blows away the Elyse 2. I found the Blue to be much cleaner and more open then the red and way better in the mids and highs. I noticed some syblance when I first started using it but it disappeared around 50 hours. The red was a little to closed in for my taste.

I'm really interested in trying out the Bronze but that means I'll need a spacer.

The Good Guy and Prof Yuri like this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You should have a 2mm spacer under the arm for any of the 2m cartridges. They are all the same size.
    -Bill

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

Does 2mm make a noticeable difference on an Elliptical? I've heard and read that it makes a difference for Fine Line stylus but I'm just having a problem wrapping my mind around the fact that such a small change makes a noticeable difference.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It does make a noticeable difference. If you are not going to have it absolutely level, things do sound better with the arm slightly lower. You can always just slide a few small washers under each mounting point and give it a listen. Anything less than a mm will likely not be noticeable and two is all you want, so even adding a mm or 1.5 will help with dynamics.
    -Bill

6. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

The RP6 came today, I've installed the 2M red into it and can tell you the red sounds better on the RP6, than the 2M blue does on the RP1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RubenH, John Bliss, Ortofun and 2 others like this.
  7. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I shall be trying out this combination tomorrow.

russk likes this.
  8. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

Now you need to save for a RP6!!!

9. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

The Red is tracking perfectly on my new RP6

Ortofun likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hope you like it as much as I do.

If it wobbles try pulling the sub platter and reseating it the give it a little push to make sure its well seated and spin a couple dozen records and see if the wobble goes away. I replaced a sub platter and once the new one was in and I gave it a little push it wobbled just the littlest bit. I was ready to write it off and get a groovetracer but after about 10 hours or so I swear the wobble is gone. Which makes me wonder if I pulled and reseated the original like that and gave it the 10 hours would it have improved. Very odd. Oh and be prepared to loosen a screw on the back of the TTPSU and run a ground from it to where ever you ground your table. Huge improvement. Eliminated all the hum I had.

Anyways, its a great table and combination. Hope you enjoy

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Man that's a good looking table in red. It was so hard to pick between black and red. I ended up going with the black RP6 but every time I see a pic of it in red I get conflicted lol

Ortofun likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think I am going to get a vpi classic. I love ortofon but it sounds like the dyvector20x is the one to go with.

13. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I have a red car and the living room is red also.
    My favourite football team play in red.

russk likes this.
  14. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

If you were closer I'd invite you to listen to mine before buying.
    Do you not know anyone with a rega?

15. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

No wobble and no hum, I guess I've been lucky!
    Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds the 1978 pressing on the turntable today.
    Still the best version in my opinion and tremendously exciting, apart from the ruin of the David Essex appearances.

16. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

No wobble and no hum, I guess I've been lucky.
    Still the best version in my opinion and tremendously exciting, apart from the ruin of the David Essex appearances.

17. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

No wobble and no hum, I guess I've been lucky.

18. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

For about $75 more than the 2M Blue you may want to check out the Ortofon Quintet Red LOMC cart.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was wondering about this line. The fact that people don't talk about it on these forums made me leery.

20. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I don't think they are available anymore, have they not been discontinued?

21. Threshold

This is Ortofons newest line of budget LOMC carts. Check out the Needle Doctor the Red goes for $314.

22. Threshold

The Ortofon lines that were discontinued were the Vivo and Rondo lines. By the way the Q-Red plays very nice w/the VPI Traveler. And if your looking at the top of the line you may want to consider the Q-Black over the 2M Black.

23. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

24. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Hmmm - I generally see 2M cartridges nearer the front of the headshell than that.

How did you align it, Prof?

25. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Indeed that looks way to far back in the head shell to be properly aligned even with the Rega protractor. I really recommend Baerwald protractor with this combo. It will do wonders to the sound.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

RubenH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.