Ortofon 2m Red vs Blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jonno, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

It should be dead easy to align because the shape of the Rega headshell is exactly same as the 2m body

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have not yet found a protractor that match the front exactly (Ortofon 2M/RB303). Which one do you use when you get this?

Even with Baerwald it will be like the pic below with the screws about 2mm from its top end slightly leaning inward the spindle. But never aligning with the front of the arm head shell.

[​IMG]

3. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Can't remember the

4. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I used the rega protractor and as it sounds absolutely stunning, I shall not be moving it.
    I did check with said protractor and the stylus was bang in the cente of the cross.
    One thing I have done that's different is reduced the weight slightly, with sonic improvement, the cantilever is not that strong and the sound is better at 1.6g

5. thommo

thommo Senior Member

OK, but as I remember it, the Rega is a single point protractor, so the stylus will always be able to hit the cross. Just checking that the body (or even better the cantilever) was also aligned to the grid lines while the stylus was centered on the cross?

As a doublecheck, you could get a Rega Stevenson arc protractor (pretty close to the Rega house alignment). It's easier to use, and while won't be exactly lined up to the Rega one, if it's miles off, something's not right on your original alignment.

BUT - if you're happy, that's the most important thing

6. Geoff Chandler

Geoff Chandler Well-Known Member

I Gave up on the 2M Blue in my set up - in another set up it would be amazing!
    The Gyrodec is lean and precise, the Techno arm is Bright, no amount of fiddling with loading
    and capacitance gave me what I wanted - either showy and sibilant or tamed with extended top end loss!
    Enter a Nagaoka MP200 and it was spot on in that set up (of course I am noticing different pressings and
    engineered records - some excellent and some badly made) It sounds as the record was made - so if balanced it is balanced
    and not sibilant and showy in the upper presence and mid treble.

7. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

It's out of production; however, I could print the bing image and use that?

8. thommo

thommo Senior Member

PM on it's way, Prof.

9. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Hmm, I can't start a conversation with you for some reason Prof.

Anyway - no, you can't use the Bing image. Scaling is absolutely critical.

You should go over to Vinylengine, and print off their Rega Arc Protractors (they have both Stevenson and Baerwald) and follow he instructions contained within.

10. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Here's my 2M Blue mounted on an RB303 arm, using a Mint Protractor/Baerwald/very high magnification during setup/cantilever parallax adjustment - the alignment is very precise & seems to track everything without distortion. The cartridge body is actually a 2M Black and I swap stylii about when using the Blue for less serious listening. In this configuration, the Blue stylus sounds pretty close to the Black, much closer than the price difference would suggest. For the Black, I use 1.55 gms, the Blue 1.68 gms tracking force (digital scales)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Geoff Chandler likes this.
  11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm curious if the Blue stylus sounds the same with the Red/Blue body, or the Bronze/Black body?

12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I am not in a position to comment I'm afraid as I have only heard the 2M Black & Bronze/Black body+Blue stylus combo's. I do not own the Red/Blue body

13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Would you go out and buy a Red body and find out please?:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

There are a few needle drops on YT doing this comparison. For what it's worth ;)

15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Identical to mine. Phew :)

16. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

The black body looks longer to my eye. Look how doubled up your wires are behind it, about the same as mine.
    I agree with you about the tracking; 1.8 is way to heavy

17. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I have the red body.
    The blue stylus sounds more strident than the red sylus.

18. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

Wow, hope you did not damage it!

19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Hmm, Im re thinking/checking my alignment, RP6/2M bronze. Im vastly different to the above pic in that where the third screw would go on a Rega cartridge lines up perfectly centre with its screw hole. In this pic above you can see the that it is set back significantly, as a result the cartridge sits back a mm or 2 from the top of the headshell. This represents a pretty big difference between this alignment and my own. I dont hear any problems necessarily, but looking at setups like this always get me wondering.

20. russk

russk Forum Resident

That pic looks exactly like how I have my 2m Blue set up. The outside edge is flush with the headshell and there is maybe about 2 mm of set back from the front of the headshell and the angles on the front of the cartridge and the headshell line up. I've heard it said that Ortofon made the 2m series to go with the Rega arms and I totally believe it.

Prof Yuri likes this.
  21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Ok I might not be set up as good as I could be. That being the case shouldn't I be hearing issues though ?

22. russk

russk Forum Resident

Wait just noticed you used baerwald. So sounds like youve got it right. Baerwald pushes the cartridge more forward and it won't line up nicely with the Rega headshell.

23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

What do you mean not line up nicely? You referring to the slight twist of the cartridge towards the spindle?
    Yes, I aligned to Baerwald so maybe Im closer than I thought.

24. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yep that's exactly what I mean. Rega and Stevenson will line up with the headshell bend Baerwald is pushed further forward and has like a 2 degree twist inward. If you're hitting the null points on your mirrored protractor and not noticing any distortion I'd say you're probably spot on. Esecially with that stylus. If you were that far off I think it would let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.