Ortofon Bronze/Black on Rega Planar 3 2016. The solution for sibilance/IGD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Smegman, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is a 2mm one enough?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

What Bill said. But . . . Bill and I once previously debated the merits of shim vs. no shim with a Dynavector Karat 17D3 on an RP6 (RB303) arm. I can barely hear a difference with a 2 mm shim, and even then I'm not sure that what I'm hearing is an improvement. I ended up using the taller-than-Rega 17D3 without a shim.

If you do use a shim, buy the stainless steel model. The polycarbonate, adjustable shim is nice enough, but I personally don't think it lock up as solidly as the steel shim. Keep in mind that it's not possible to apply a lot of torque when remounting the tonearm after shimming. There's not enough material for the screws to bite hard. Just as important, the exact same amount of torque on each screw is crucial when remounting a Rega arm. So, stainless steel that doesn't give at all is the way to go, IMO. Mind you, others have had perfect results from the polycarbonate adjustable shim too, so I may be raising a concern that exists more in my head than in reality.

SandAndGlass, H8SLKC and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Post back if you want shimming instructions.

Memphisflash likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

man i love that song! one of my favorite APP tunes.

6. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Wood screws!...do Rega use those things in all their models? Give me the old threaded pillar and nut mounting method of the old RB300 any day. If only for the reason you mention.

missan and oregonalex like this.
  7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It’s a wood screw of some sort.

It works well. When a design does not include adjustability, there’s nothing inherently wrong with using wood screws especially when a hard, steel or titanium stop is present. But that makes over-torquing a possibility when installing a shim and re-tightening the assembly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

Weren´t You talking about mounting the arm to the plinth?

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

My personal opinion is that this 2mm doesn´t matter at all, in the scheme of things.

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yes. But you quoted me before I realized my mistake and changed my reply. Either you are too quick for me, or I have to do a much better job of remembering my own posts before snapping off a reply. Probably the latter. My bad.

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

No big deal. It could be a lot worse.

Agitater likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Only the Planar 1, 2 & 3 use a set of three wood screws to fasten the 3-point tonearm base to the wood plinth. It's a more stable platform than the old, single pillar mount, and it reduces weight. Both are engineering objectives of all of the tables, so despite what it might seem like on the surface, it's a success in terms of design. The Planar 6, RP8, and RP10 all use threaded bolts for their 3-point arm mounting.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

So if I have a 2M cart I can attach the OM 40 stylus and it'll work?

That might be fun to try!

14. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

My concerns were not about the stability of the 3-point fixing deign, which may well be superior to the old single pillar mount, but aimed at the use of wood screws to firmly fix the arm base to a turntable that can cost several thousand bucks... a bit cheapskate to say the least. Good to know that Rega use more appropriate threaded bolts, at least in their more expensive tables.

Thanks for clarifying

15. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

No contest. Black with the nude shibata. Tracks faultlessly at this price point.

Keep the records and stylus clean and you wont have any issues at all.

gss likes this.
  16. gss

gss Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that video, @MMM. Sounds like the 2m has a bit more top end to me.

The OM 40 stylus is the same as the one on the Pro S version, right?

17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yup, same stylus. It will fit both bodies.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

I would like some instructions, just bought a P3 with Elys cartridge, but have a 2M Bronze at hand, like to change them ... thanks! And were can I buy spacers? (preferably Europe)

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rega - HiFi.nl
    -Bill

Memphisflash likes this.
  20. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Here's a video:

. . . about correctly installing a Rega spacer on a P3. The presenter in the video is a bit awkward and he does only two things that I don't like - specifically, he fully tightens each tonearm mounting screw as he goes, and he doesn't use a nice pad on the tabletop to help protect the turntable finish.

The correct way to installs the screws for the tonearm base is to only make each screw have full contact, then check the tonearm positioning and the shim positioning again, and only then fully secure each screw finger-tight until fully seated. That way, the finished installation is torqued more evenly and with less stress on the arm base.

Memphisflash likes this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

2M Black. Or the cheaper micro linear options from Audio-Technica that track even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.