Ortofon - Factory Tour video

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deuce66, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

If you were ever curious about the mfg. of Ortofon cartridges check this out.

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Boy would I hate to have one of those jobs. Imagine doing that all day for years.

searing75 likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I would need a good neck massage every night...

searing75 and elaterium like this.
  4. fezco

fezco Forum Resident

Wow! Thanks for posting.I appreciate everyone at Orofon's hard work. I spent the day yesterday enjoying my 2M Black on my Project 2B experience, playing everything from Sioxsie to, CRB, to Fripp/Eno. My son asked me to turn off the Fripp/Eno and I promptly replied "No!"

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

How do people manage to do such technical work with those long nails!? I can hardly stand typing on a keyboard when my nails are even a little bit too long.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Women have always been better at precision work.

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

That doesn't answer my question in the least, lol.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It’s not like that.

At Ortofon, as in many, many such factories in Denmark, Germany, France, Switzerland and other European countries, staff take frequent breaks, work spaces are full of daylight (which means less need for general artifical lighting), working conditions are highly social, benefits are excellent, national and state/province universal health care systems are in place, and there is far less employee transience as a result. Pay, benefits, vacation time and working conditions all contribute to much higher employment satisfaction rates.

Conditioned attitudes in Canada and the U.S. makes us react by thinking that the staff observed in the video are stuck at their workstations for hours on end, but that’s the exact opposite of what goes on.

Frankly, if you go into any number of different craft-based business in Canada and the U.S., you’ll also find staff who’ve been around for many, many years because the employer (the company culture) is advanced and considerate and profitable and undersands that you will never hang on to the best people by working them to the bone. The product prices end up being somewhat higher than similar products produced under harsher working conditions by massive operations offshore, but the quality is better from the craft operations, there aren’t any shortcuts around the specifications, and your end customers are using a product that is designed, provisioned, assembled and tested by people with great attitudes and a proprietary interest in the quality of what they’re producing.

SandAndGlass, Encore and elaterium like this.
  9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If you look a bit closer at various scenes in the video, you’ll probably notice that only a couple of the assembly staff have long fingernails. One woman in particular whose parts manipulation was shown close-up, was doing work that simply didn’t require fingertip use.

It’s also true that many women who are handling parts and making small assemblies entirely with tweezers and finger taps can grow their nails as long as they like. It doesn’t affect tweezer use, and it doesn’t affect finger taps. The same is true for watch movement parts handling and assembly. Putting together certain assemblies does dictate shorter fingernails, but for many of the workstation tasks it doesn’t matter.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Plus, men are not used to it, women are.

Take a simple office task like @DyersEve726 mentioned, typing. Although we don't see that many typist's today. Back in the 40' & 50's, the workforce had many women who were typists and dressed up for the workplace every day and had long nails.

Men are prone to have short fingernails and tend to type more with their fingertips at more of a vertical angle, women with longer fingernails will use more of the pads on their fingers.

And, back then, most of the typewriters were manual!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.