Ortofon vs Dynavector

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pkonz, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just being back into vinyl since Xmas when my wife bought me an MMF 2.2 has brought the the AAA / anal in me to a new level. Now I know the 2.2 is not anywhere near the high end needed to bring out the best in a cartridge but from what I can tell its pretty much a rebadged old Project Xpression with an alloy arm just shy of 9 inches. I think it can handle a couple of upgrades, primarily the cartridge and platter (to acrylic). I did change out the original cartridge for my old 1980 Ortofon VMS 30 and the sound improved but I think its on its last legs. The cantilever seems to run low even with a light VTF of 1.4 and worse seems to bend laterally to the left. I think the rubber is going. I can get an NOS replacement stylus but at $225 it puts me in the range of an new cartridge. I was looking at a Bronze or in roughly the same price range the Dynavector 10x5. My local audio shop carries both and the Project line of TT and says he favours the 10x5 on the Xpression over the Bronze and in some respects even the Black although he says thats a pretty subjective and individual call. One reservation I have is the stylus tip on the VMS 30 is a fine line, equal to the Bronze, and the 10x5 is an eliptical. I`m leaning towards the 10x5 because I`d like to hear what all the MC fuss is about and it probably represents the biggest change from what I`m used to. I listen to a lot of jazz, acousitc blues, and just about anything pre 76 when the music died :) Any advice appreciated. I might even spring for the Black if I could be convinced.

2. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Based on your stated musical tastes, I'd go for the Dynavector, or even a Denon DL-110 if you'd like to save a little more money. The Dynavector is a bit overpriced, IMO, though it sounds excellent. The Denon will get you about 90% of the way there for less. I owned a 2M Bronze for a while, and I just found it to be too analytical for my tastes. It tracks like a pro and gives you loads of details you may have not heard before, but there's not enough transient response and "boogie" to the sound for me. Everything is very matter-of-fact, like a good pair of reference monitors, but that's not how I prefer to listen to music. My Denon gives me what I like in spades. It's an excellent tracker, has a beautiful midrange, and the transient response really gets your toes tapping. I also owned a Dyna 10x4 for a time, and I still prefer the Denon.

Just something to think about. I've always read good things about the 2M Blue, but I never warmed up to the Bronze.

Shiver likes this.
  3. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, that's just about exactly how my audio shop salesman put it but I don't think they carry denon. He's been very helpful and I'd like to support the local shop if I can so I'll keep the options down to Ortofon vs Dynavector for now.

4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

FWIW, I picked up an Ortofon 2M and was underwhelmed. It just didn't bring out the oomph, clarity or detail that I was looking for. I then picked up a Dynavector 20X2 and found the sound I wanted. Better lower end although it still lacks some of the brightness I would like. But it's a better cart, for my ears, than the Otrofon.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If you have a steel platter and you want the 10X5 you probably need to change out the platter. The steel platter and MC cartridges will pull toward each other.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The MMF2.2 tables are rather warm sounding. The platter should be changed on it as it's horrid. The acrylic platter will also suit a MC cartridge as Bob has noted. Adding the acrylic platter will make it even warmer sounding.

So the cartridge type will either keep it that way, possibly even being too soft, or bring it back to neutral. The Dynavector cartridges are generally warmer sounding than the Ortofon cartridges. The 10x5 is just warmer than neutral and I'd say the 2m Bronze is dead neutral. The Bronze tracks better and will have lower distortion, especially on the inner groove and at higher frequencies. The 20x2H tracks nearly as well as the Bronze and is even warmer sounding but has lower distortion like the Bronze. Basically, the 10x5 paints with broader strokes and warmer hues. The Bronze is accurate and neutral.
    -Bill

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

the 2M series doesnt do a lot for me, where as the Dynavectors have me tapping my feet and playing air-drums/guitar. I'd go for the 10X5 in a heartbeat. bigger sound. and while the Bronze & Black 2M's track damaged vinyl better.... the 10X5 handles surface noise like a champ.

when funds permit I might send my old 10X5 to Soundsmith for a micro ridge re-tip, would love to hear how that sounds

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sounds like I should maybe get an Ortofon 2M Bronze. I've been looking at them. However...

9. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I recently switched from the Dynavector 10x5 to the Ortofon 2m Bronze and can confirm what Bill said. I might add that I've found that some LPs sound better with the Dynavector and some better on the Ortofon. Therefore, I don't prefer one over the other. However, since the Ortofon is $100 cheaper, at least in Canada, it is a much better value.

10. I have a Dynavector 10x5 being installed on the VPI scout I purchased from musicdirect. Can't wait to give it a listen. I have yet to hear the 2m series. They both seem to get good reviews.

FulhamTarheel likes this.
  11. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

I have a Red and Blue 2M Ortofon. Like them both. But thinking of trying something different like the Denon. The Red and Blue 2M's are very difficult to tell a difference, IMHO.

12. Coldacre

Only difference is the stylus type. with new or well cared for vinyl, there shouldn't be any difference

13. sabocat

sabocat Forum Resident

I had a 2m bronze on a thorens td 125 mkii and it was a brilliant combo. I liked it so much I switched to a 2m black on my Scout when I upgraded. Now that is also a great combo. The black has silkier highs without dropping the detail, and the mids and bass are to die for. A great all around cart.

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Is there actually a problem using an MC cart on a metal platter? Never heard this before.

15. laynecobain

Thanks. I figured as much. But bought the blue stylus on sale so at least I have an extra stylus.

Do you know how much improvement goes up in the OM stylus? I have the OM5 E that came with the TT. How much improvement would a 20 or 30 be compared to the 2M Blue?

And if you know...what is the difference between those two carts and stylus?

16. Coldacre

sorry, not familiar with the OM series. I'm sure there's plenty of others who are though

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The OM20 and 2m Blue are very similar. The 2m Blue is actually the third generation of that cartridge. the OM 20 was replaced by the Super OM20 and the 2m Blue replaced that. Both cartridges use a nude elliptical stylus.
    -Bill

18. phallumontis

The OM5E uses an inferior cartridge body to the OM10/20/30/40, but the styli are still interchangeable and will provide a significant upgrade to the tracking performance. The 2M series uses an even more up-to-date body, though I'm not sure of the actual technical differences between the two series. LPGear make their own versions of the OM replacement styli, might be worth checking out for an inexpensive upgrade to the 5E. Anything would be better than the stylus that comes with that thing.

19. laynecobain

I only used the OM5E for about a month, then got the 2M Red and then the Blue Stylus.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure of the purpose of the two separate cart styles and both OM and 2M going upwards to $1,000 for a styli.

20. I'm also curious about this statement.
    :cheers:

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Not "metal" but steel or cast iron. AR and Linn, Thorens, etc use an aluminum platter and it's just fine as far as cooperating with a magnet. The cheapest Sumiko, MMF type tables use a steel platter though and that would attract a strong magnet such as in a MC cartridge. MM carts have such a tiny magnet that it makes little difference. Frankly, it might not make that much difference with a MC over the steel platter but it would effect the required counterweight adjustment to set the proper tracking force. In that way, it would be best advised to use a scale if you want to use a steel platter until you get an acrylic one.
    -Bill

22. Far out. I've got a Denon DL-110 coming in the mail, so I just checked my metal platter with a magnet & there is zero magnetic attraction between the two. Whew...

23. phallumontis

Enjoy the Denon. It is a wonderful cartridge!

24. Ya man, my first venture into MC carts. Everything I've read about them seems to suggest that I will really dig it.

25. Not sure about the Dynavector - never tried or heard one. I did hear the Ortofon 2M black - great sounding cartridge, but so too is my Super OM with Stylus 40 (it even sounds quite good with those Digitrac NE and SE styli, the equivalent of the Stylus 20 and 30 respectively). So unless the styli for the Super OM become made of unobtanium, I will probably stay with that choice of cartridge.

From what I understand, many moving coil cartridges have a very strong magnet within them. I once read of a story where someone had installed one on a turntable, and it was said to have bottomed out when lowered onto the record, due to the strong magnetism to the steel platter under the record. Most audiophile turntables nowadays use non-magnetic platters, anyways (so do many of the "entry level" ones, too, though apparently there are those odd ones that had metal platters - I wouldn't think that any manufacturer would make a turntable with a magnetic steel platter nowadays, but perhaps there are still exceptions?). So in other words, if the platter is steel, it's probably best to just use a MM type cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.