Oscar Brand's Bawdy Songs LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

One day, while rummaging through yet another used record store, I found an LP titled Bawdy Sea Shanties. The title intrigued me enough to want to hear it. There was no price on the record and the guy behind the counter, seeing as I had a three foot stack of LPs already, said if I wanted it I could just have it.

I got home and found it was this wonderfully entertaining collection of clean language dirty songs. I haven't giggled that much since my wedding night.

I started searching for the rest of the series (the Sea Shanties LP was Vol. 5) and found Vol. 1-3. Does anyone here know how many records there were in this series? I'd love to find the rest of them. Great stuff here.

2. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

Hey, Yesman-
    Oscar Brand is off the charts! Not sure about the total # of albums he did, but Audio Fidelity was his main label, and I inherited 2 of his albums from my dad: "Sing-Along Bawdy Songs & Backroom Ballads (with gems like 'The Woodpecker's Hole,' 'Parties, Banquets & Balls,' and 'Ta Ra Ra Boom Dee Ay')" and "Bawdy Songs Vol. 1 (featuring 'No Hips At All,' 'One-Eyed Reilly' and the classic 'Sam Hall')" - scary part is my liberal dad had me humming these R-X rated lyrics and limericks of Oscar B.'s at age 9! Find all the albums of his you can. They're rare, and they're great!

3. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

He also recorded a lot for the early Elektra Rercords. In Jac Holzman's book, "Follow The Music," he tells how the struggling label put out a collection of "service man" type songs by Brand and one day out of the blue an order came in for 25000 or so from a buyer for PX's across the country and it gave the label financial stability.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Is he still alive?

5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I believe Oscar Brand is still doing a folk music program on WNYC (AM?) here in the Big Apple.

JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.