Oscars to add "Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film" Category

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

The worst Oscar choice of the last 30 years were "Braveheart" and "Gladiator"

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

disagree. that will just water things down as well. There a kajillion other movie awards.....but the Oscars are the biggie and its partially because of the tradition: who won THE best film every year. but I think the cats out of the bag now....or is that horse out of the barn... So now it will be should (blank) be a regular Oscar film or a popular ......

3. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

So “high art” only pertains to certain film genres and not others?

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:laugh: :wave:

lightbulb likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They would have gotten backlash (oscarsowhite) if they did not give a major award to "Black Panther" so they had to come up with a whole new category. Now they can award it without interfering with the real artistic cinema like "Fish Man" and "Silent Movie 2010". You know, those films that are high art yet are still so entertaining and memorable they demand repeated viewings (whatever happened to Cuckoos Nest and The Godfather?). But they also need to figure out how to get an award in Oprah's hands, even though her film got likewarm reviews at best. She is, afterall, our next president, and should be given a platform to speak.

:)

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

QUOTE="the pope ondine, post: 19266879, member: 61526"]it is? they aren't?

me.
    site.[/QUOTE]

Women account for 61% of Oscar telecast viewers - those cosmetics ads weren't a clue? Male viewership is now barely above 10 million.

7. Daniel Plainview

Ah, those were the days! People getting booed and played off for bringing politics into an award show speech.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The first Academy Awards had a category for "Best Unique and Artistic Picture" which went away by the second awards ceremony. They should have brought that back and let the popular movies be in the "Best Picture" category.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

So they want to become more like The Grammys.

arley likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I guess so. Unless "Iron Man" has become required reading since I left high school.There were some damn fine "Cartoon" movies made, but I think the Academy would otherwise never recognize them, for the same reason that obvious "entertainments' like Aquaman or X-Men comic books would risen by now in stature culturally after 60s years, (except among comic fans who worship them). Even if something does become iconic, that still doesn't mean such recognition will elevate it culturally out of its defining niche. Yeah, the Creature from the Black Lagoon is iconic, does that make it high art? Never.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. Daniel Plainview

They need a comedy category. The genre gets no respect. We hold Chaplin and Keaton is high regard... why is all modern forms of comedy dismissed as "low art"? Granted, much of it is crude toilet and drug humor, but not all. Cannot a film be funny and artistically significant in this day and age? Can they retroactively name "Anchorman" best picture?

And when does John Carpenter receive the Cecil B. DeMille award?

mmars982 likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Now I want to go back and make fictitious "popular" nominees for each year of film.

Predator
    Crocodile Dundee
    Overboard
    Lethal Weapon
    Three Men and a Baby

They should expand this to "actor in popular film" as well. Then Kurt Russell can finally win something. Dammit.

13. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I hope Whoppie hosts this year.

Andy Mitri, Henryflowr and AKA like this.
  14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I’m pretty sure I’m the same race and gender as you (and Kimmel), but I didn’t feel shamed. I enjoyed the telecast.
    *Whuppy.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wonder who will present the award? Best supporting actor, er, no, Best Supporting Actress? So we'll have ingenues and final farewell performance-winners holding forth the statuette. I can't wait to see 101-year-old Lady Judi Dench present the Most Popular Film Oscar to "Deadpool IV: Duck You MotherBEEPer!"

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not exactly "played off", rather drowned out by stagehands at a nearby mic as Moore's own mic was cut, while he was inviting fellow category members to come up on stage, during a standing ovation.
    You are aware what he brought into his award show speech, is exactly the subject as the movie he won for, right...?

Anyway, I am really confused about how they "sell" the idea of "Film Best Deserving Of Generic Congratulations Not Related To Any Of The Other Categories Of Films Far More Deserving of Specific Congratulations". They say the statuette is already heavy enough...all the extra words are gonna really weigh this one down even more....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    BeatleJWOL, lightbulb and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

How terrible of him. That must have been so hurtful for you.

lightbulb, BZync and Daniel Plainview like this.
  18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Fixed :D

19. Daniel Plainview

It was. I had to find my safe space and cope for hours afterwards.

Jaap74 likes this.
  20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure. Comic book movies are a good example. By it's nature, it's a very commercial genre--and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Of course, we've occasionally seen some more arty comic films based on indie comics like Ghostworld or American Splendor, but they are the exception to the rule. Before you accuse me of snobbery, I very much enjoy a lot of modern comic book movies and other lighter entertainment. I generally watch more of that kind of stuff than I do obscure "art films". Different kinds of art work on different levels, sometimes in ways that can't be easily compared because they're trying to achieve different things. A comedy or a horror movie has very different aims and means from a serious drama.

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but then I really don't care about the Oscars, the Emmys, the Grammys or any of that crap. The awards shows are unwatchable.

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

There is already an award for most popular film: $$$

--Geoff

Graham, EwaWoowa, Tristero and 2 others like this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't wait until they ditch the notion of Best Actress. You know, because that's sexist...

23. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

You nailed it right there.

24. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

The Oscar's have been dead to me for years. The sad part is that they won't die until ad revenues for the broadcast dry up and even then they'll go kicking and screaming.

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Cecil B. DeMille award is Golden Globes. Maybe you are thinking of Irving Thalberg? Either way, no one cares about those awards, incl. the honorees. You are right about the comedy oversight.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.