Other's Misuse of Your Equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Veltri, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

I just discovered this while listening to distortion on an LP.

My wife had put on a 45 but didn't know you had to manually move the belt to change speed.

Thinking it was the 45 speed setting she had dialed the anti-skate to 4.5 :laugh:

samurai, Jrr, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Do Canadian houses still have the traditional punishment sheds like they used to? Could be time for a talkin' to with an authentic seal skin binding.

3. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yikes, this took a turn.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My brother's kids wanted to listen to a YouTube video. So they plugged in my brother's HD650 headphones, rotated the ear cups so they were like little speakers on the desk, and turned up the volume so they could both hear. Headphones aren't meant to be used that way.

My brother was worried they may have damaged the headphones. I told him that if both drivers are still working and you don't hear obvious distortion then the headphones are fine and no damage done. The headphones were fine.

gregorya, eyeCalypso and Veltri like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

Sennheiser build quality not withstanding...had I done that it'd have been a trip to the punishment shed.

Metamodern, nosliw, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I do that all the time at my job when I need to hear what's going on around me. No problems

7. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Had a guest here last weekend and when he saw my TT setup, he looked it over then tried to feel the stylus with his finger until I barked at him to stop. He left the room after that and went and joined the others downstairs, thankfully.

8. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Back in the day, I had a GF who thought she knew about turntables. She started to change a record (I had a Shure V15Type3 cart). I said...If you dump the tonearm, you are going to write me a check for $100. You know how this ended.

HiFi Guy, hi_watt, jpelg and 6 others like this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

A broken cart and no check?

Your avatar coupled with talk of punishment sheds is a bit disturbing.

Dan Steele and lightbulb like this.
  10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

If you're serious about the shed then you have something seriously wrong with you.

11. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

She wrote the check, but I ended up in the doghouse for some time.

HiFi Guy and The FRiNgE like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've heard the excuse, "What's more important, that junk or me?"

What's important is to be with someone who's respectful.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You in the doghouse?!?
    I would have turned that around right then & there.

action pact likes this.
  14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

My friend that used to be a singer in a band in the 60’s (you garage rock guys would know him) tried to pick up the tweeter off the top of one of my B&W Nautilus 805s... he thought it was a microphone!

We both had a good laugh and spent the rest of the evening playing a bunch of Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Kinks, Stones, etc. I don’t think he had actually ever heard some of the stuff on a real hifi - he knew all the tunes but mainly from the radio I guess.

No harm no foul!

Mad shadows, hi_watt, Kyhl and 5 others like this.
  15. A friend came over with some pro audio room tuning device. It bent one of the tweeters on my B&W 801S3's. Lucky for me, he got a new one from the OEM.

16. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Awesome thread. Not.

timind likes this.
  17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Before we were married my (now ex-) wife wouldn't listen to me about not dusting my turntable with a rag. She ended up buying me a new stylus. It was a cheap MCS turntable but still...

18. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Simple rule in my house, nobody touches the turntable but me.

TV? ok, HT receiver? go for it, Bose QC35 headsets?, use them, Bose Revolve+ bluetooth speakers use them but charge them afterwards. Turntable? Off limits. So far so good....

RONENRAY and Dave like this.
  19. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident

My nephew - otherwise a super sweet kid without an intentionally mischievous bone in his body - pretty much wrapped the stylus of my Rega Exact 2 around the cartridge body. Figured it out two days later. I figure some of it is on me for having it out and ucovered, but that was no good. Lucked into a pretty crazy deal on an AT150Sa to replace it, so there was at least a decent ending.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nobody touches my gear, its a given in the house. I don't even let the cleaning lady into the man cave, I clean it myself.

Edit: thinking about it, I can't remember anyone even trying to

RONENRAY, Dave, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

We were forced to room with a guy from the basketball team in college. He cranked LL Cool J so loud you could hear it when you walked into the dorms, and we were at the other end of the hall. Blew my buddy's expensive, new speakers.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. layman

layman Forum Resident

Guests always insist on using my speakers as the best place to park their drinks. When I ask them not, they think I am crazy.

23. EdogawaRampo

Weren't punishment sheds a beloved and well used traditional feature of many detached houses in the British Isles for many decades? Maybe basements were preferred...I'm mainly familiar with the North American punishment shed tradition.

In any case, the tough built Canadian hardwood sheds of the past were a feature in the western provinces and the more ramshackle free form confinement sheds of the American south and the sturdier western sheds were often featured in upscale architectural journals' historical articles. But many modern-day homebuyers find the presence of a good punishment shed in well-maintained usable condition a major incentive to buy. Having a properly appointed punishment shed specially built is cost prohibitive -- they're not cheap -- so homebuyers often shop for a home with a good still-standing shed.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Is there a forum approved punishment shed?

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I once walked into my room where my sister and his boyfriend were blasting one of my cassettes. They hadn't notice-or cared about- that I had a flannel covering the amp. The poor thing was so hot it was about to catch fire. I didn't have a problem with my sister banging his BFs in my bedroom or even my car -which I lent her- but my stereo was off-limits and she crossed the line. Bedroom and car gotbecame off limits too from that day on.

Encore, The FRiNgE and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.