Out of tune instruments drive me nuts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bart, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart

Bart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've not listened to Europe '72 in a really long time, and had forgotten how out of tune Jerry's guitar is on more than one song. It's particularly bad on Jack Straw and You Win Again. Arrrgh.

I don't recall any other albums, live or studio, with such egregious tuning issues. But there must be more . . .

Atmospheric likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The Shaggs and Jandek would make your head explode.

3. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Live Hendrix can make you wish that tuning pedals had been invented sooner. Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" could also have benefitted.

4. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Speaking of Grateful Dead, I can't listen to many of the live vocals for the same reason. They sang flat or off tune more often than not.

6. Bart

Bart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well . . . yeah. I certainly noticed that too. Then I became more than a bit of a "Deadhead" and grew to overlook this. Except for Donna; I cut her no slack and am not a fan of any Donna-prominent tracks. But my wife, who is not, can't (won't) listen to their live stuff at all for this reason. I really can't blame her.

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Chapel of Love (Dixie Cups) - the celeste is totally out of tune with the rest of the recording. It's about a quarter step out.

I Got You (James Brown) - Everything is out of tune on this record. The bass, the guitar, the horns, none of them match up.

Amazing that A&R guys don't catch such glaring mistakes at the sessions.

Atmospheric likes this.
  8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Some of my favorite music, including Europe 72, is out of tune. I'm thinking Floyd's Apples and Oranges, and lots of classic Kinks off the top of my head. Yeah Dylan too. Some of my desert island stuff. So what?

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Even though I have (near) perfect pitch, I prefer things a little out of tune to Auto-Tuned up the wazoo any day.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

1:23-1:34 in the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long" link below is an example of an out of tune instrument that drives me nuts:

lobo likes this.
  11. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

One thing that's always irked me in an otherwise superb song is whatever that weird chimes/music box thing is that's playing on Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" (it's subtle, but most noticeable during the verses in the left channel if you listen for it). I don't know if it's a tuning issue per se, but half the time it sounds like it's playing random notes, and I can't figure out what it's contributing to the song at all.

amcaudio, Mal and rxcory like this.
  12. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

I posted in another thread today my appreciation of "Wild World" by Cat Stevens. And that's despite the out-of-tune G string on the acoustic, very noticeable a few seconds before the vocals first come in...

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I do not recommend you to listen to The Rolling Stones ...

:p

14. Don't listen to Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore East 1969 :laugh:

One Louder likes this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yeah it took me a long time to get into the Dead for that reason... now I overlook it. I overlook Donna too, because quite frankly, how can I not, all of the guys can be just as awful... and some more than others.

As far as out of tune instruments... "Do it in the Name of Love" by The Monkees (or Micky Dolenz & Davy Jones as it originally came out) is just one of many released studio recordings that comes to mind when I think of out of tune guitars... I'm sure I'll think of more.

The Rolling Stones seem to have a lot of out of tune guitars in the earlier recordings.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Perhaps the worst out of tune I've ever heard
    But probably everybody on stage and in the audience were so stoned that nobody noticed :D

Hamhead, MikeM and Big Train like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

none of this ever bothered me as I was enjoying the music too much to care.:laugh:

18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I'll just leave this here.

portsmouth sinfonia, 'blue danube waltz' (1973)
    featuring Brian Eno and Gavin Bryars, among others. amazing stuff.

19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Thank God I'm tone deaf and don'teven notice.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to "The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest" the other day and although it's a great song, I think his guitar was a bit out of tune on this one.

21. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Dylan was a repeat offender. "Down the Highway" off of Freewheelin' also has a guitar string that's pretty seriously out of tune. But, ya know, it matches the singing! :)

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is one of the most obvious out of tune in the studio ever (not only Dylan but in general!)

stef1205 likes this.
  23. So where's the long-promised AF box set? ;)

Summerisle and drasil like this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've got a pretty good ear, but I've never noticed anything sounding out-of-tune on any of those examples. :shrug:

25. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Sorry, not hearing it at all.

stef1205 and longaway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.