Outcast on Cinemax

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody else see the premier last week? Yet another series based on a comic book! This one's the latest from Robert Kirkman, the creator of The Walking Dead. As you might guess, this show is creepy as hell! Much more disturbing and downright spooky, as in scary, than anything I've seen on TWD, ever! 1st episode dealt with an exorcism that was reminiscent of the classic film, The Exorcist. I'm not giving anything away by saying that the kid that's possessed is a phenomenal actor, really a bravo performance, this kid's been on my mind all week! Nowhere near as gory as TWD yet a lot scarier! Honestly, while I've enjoyed TWD to varying degrees over the years, it's never scared me. If you're not spooked by the opening scene of this show, you're a lot more jaded than me!;)

2. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I watched... I'm intrigued enough to keep watching....

3. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I thought it was well done. Very faithful to the comic.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I had seen commercials for it. But hadn't actually watched it. Based on your review, I just might give it a shot. I'll get back with my thoughts when I do.

5. Chris from Chicago

Watched episode 1. Very creepy. Nice tone. I will be watching more.

6. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Just started watching this, I've viewed the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed it, nice to see Phil Glennister take on the role as the priest guy, got to big up British actors!

7. Chris from Chicago

I am caught up through the first 3. This show is a very slow reveal. They give you a little bit each episode and let you put the pieces together. I love the creepy vibe. I'm in

Chip Z, rufus t firefly and Gibson67 like this.
  8. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

I thought you said this was based on a comic book, I watched hoping for some super-hero action to tide me over until the next big super-film, but I don't know what this was supposed to be

9. Chazro

There's a bunch of TV shows and movies that are based on comic books that have nothing to do with superheroes.

10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I found the first three episodes not so hot, but those last two were very good - I hope they found their stride and this could be a great series.

I enjoyed it far more than "Preacher" so far. But maybe those two can't be compared.

Texastoyz likes this.
  11. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Yes, me too, I find Preacher to be quite the slog to get through.

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I watched the first three episodes so far & really like it. When I heard Patrick Fugit was the lead, I thought, the kid from Almost Famous? He's excellent in this role though. Same as Philip Glenister will always be Gene Hunt to me but he's very convincing in this & does a surprisingly good southern accent.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. I didn't think the Almost Famous kid would pull it off. He's actually quite good.

And...this is one creepy show.

14. The producers have watched too many Tarrantino movies.p

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm enjoying Preacher too. Except for the obvious similarities, they're completely different types of shows with different tones. Preacher is a fun, wild ride at times & Outcast is very dark & possibly the closest thing I've seen to actual horror in many years. It's hard to believe it comes from the same person that writes The Walking Dead & Fear the Walking Dead.

16. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Episodes 8 and 9 sealed the deal for me - this is a great show ! I even liked it a bit more than "Preacher" - more gritty and "real".

wayneklein and rufus t firefly like this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this show. It was super creepy. It told a great story. (It has been renewed). And it was nearly impossible to guess where it was talking us next. And...although the bar is low...it was miles better than the Walking Dead.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  18. That's because it's on Cinemax. Banshee was ignored as well and while not a perfect show, it's quite good. The Knick much the same.

It's an exceptional show and I like the direction it's taking. Brent Spiner is terrific as the bad guy but, really, all,the performances are exceptional.

I think it's a better show than Preacher which tries to be Tarrantino for the small screen and tries way too hard.

19. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I thought it was great. I also loved Preacher

20. For me Preacher meandered quite a bit and it felt like the plot wasn't moving forward at the pace it needed to and the annoying soundtrack music, overuse of what have become cliches for Tarrentino also annoyed the heck out of me. "Outcast" stood on its own more readily.

21. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

They shoot it here. It's big news in my little town. Season 2 is underway.

22. Chazro

In the beginning, I thought the show was about straight-up possessions and exorcisms. Now, with the cheesy black oil spills pouring out of the victims mouths, it's possible that the 'possessions' aren't religious at all! The thing is, for me, much like the original Exorcist, where the fear factor was linked to a primal attack on my religious and moral upbringing, Outback was a slammin' fearfest in the 1st episode. If the religious angle is removed, the show goes into The Walking Dead/The Strain territory, which IMO is a step down! At this point I'm afraid I'm watching out of curiosity. Oddly enough, the 'shocking' moment when the sister turns bad felt flat and kinda self-serving, like a shock moment just for the sake of itself. I'll probably hang 'til the end, but have doubts about committing to a 2nd season (not a huge Walking Dead fan and I can't stand the Strain!). Especially if the oil spills aren't explained to my satisfaction, at this point it could be some half-ass alien invasion. I totally prefer Preacher.

23. Chris from Chicago

So, the man in the black hat made Kyle get in the trunk of his Cadillac because that's the only way he'll see his daughter again. He then locks him in the basement of a department store. Kyle asks...where do you come from. The same place you do, black hat answered.

Could Kyle have been a black souled demon thingie, but had some innate resistance in him? Therefore he was outcast from wherever they were?

It isn't god or religion that these creatures are afraid of.

24. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

The end of episode 9 was a shocker. Did not think that would happen.The first ten minutes of the season ender was edge-of -your-seat filmmaking. Very impressed.

25. Chazro

That was the season-ender!? I didn't see any mention of a finale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.