Outer ring record clamps (non-VPI)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I watched the video for this product I particularly like the installation disk. This looks to be a better product than the VPI for $200. less.

2. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Given your insights, I'm wondering if my Brinkmann Oasis is a table that would even benefit from an outer record clamp. From Brinkmann's site:

The platter is made of a special resonance-inhibiting alloy of aluminum, copper, magnesium and other materials. A crystal glass platter top layer and a screw-down record clamp allow any vibrations to be quickly absorbed by the platter.
    Sounds like they designed the screw down clamp to handle the vibrations you've referenced. I wonder if an outer record clamp would be too much of a good thing. Thoughts on using one with my Oasis?

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No idea really. I'd ask them. You know some motors and bearings might not be designed with the additional weight of a peripheral clamp in mind, as another factor to consider. I haven't studied the subject, just quoting the rationale for the whole scheme from one of the guys who helped pioneer the approach. But I suspect the best think to do is see what the turntable designer recommends.

4. Brian Gupton

Brinkmann says the motor on the Oasis can handle the clamp, but didn't offer any opinion on whether it would sound better. The TTW has a money back return policy, so I can still try it out without much worry.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So give it a try and report back.:cool:

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Curious about this stuff. I've read reports that say sure, if you have warped records a ring flattens them. I've read others that say flattening the warped records is basically a side effect of its overall awesomeness due to damping/resonance/etc.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

your recommendation is certainly very meaningful. I would like to have the clamp but I find the price point to be very suspicious.

$1000 for what is just a small piece of metal cut into a circle seems absolutely ridiculous

latheofheaven and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Brian Gupton

I've been somewhat skeptical of these solely because so few turntable manufacturers make them. I'd think that those who design turntables would also build these clamps and either include them with their tables or sell them as accessories the way VPI does.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah I wouldn't pay that for an aftermarket ring clamp myself probably. But I am cheap. My table came with one as part of the design 20 years ago. Though I dunno anything about the design or machining of these other clamps.

10. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

With good reason. Using a periphery ring is a great way to discover just how fragile your cantilever is.

latheofheaven likes this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well having used the clamping ring with the Merrill for 20 years and never having damaged a stylus doing it I have to say you have to be pretty hamfisted. In 40 plus years of playing records I've fumbled my way into lots of silly ways of damaging cantilevers and styli but the clamping ring hasn't been one of em.

12. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

True. I'm so clumsy I should probably wear a helmet.

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Heck, I've found all kinds of ways of destroying cantilevers over the years -- snagging one on a blousy t-shirt while doing a cartridge installation and reaching over the turntable was the one that really killed me....but somehow I've managed to survive w/ the periphery clamp all these years....but the clamp is a bit of a kludgy hassle -- in terms of cuing, in terms of getting it centered, and there are albums without significant first track lead in grooves where it has to be foregone completely (and I assume low riding carts w/ big bodies w/ which it would be a non starter), and depending on the record interface the difference it can make is relatively minor -- I've got a silicone based mat on the table now and with that mat clamping v. no clamping is a relatively small difference. I'm not sure that as an aftermarket $1K tweak a periphery clamp would be near the top of my list of must haves. But it it does do something and it's not inevitable that it will destroy your cantilever. Like I said, my table is an 20 year old deck designed with a ring so I use it, not sure I would would have gone for it as an add on, I'll be curious if Brian decides to spring for an aftermarket ring to hear what if anything he hears.

kfringe likes this.
  14. For anyone who is curious about the TTW clamp the You Tube video shows all you really need to know and how quick and easy it is to fit to your TT/Lp. With out wishing to sound like an advert for the company, the machine work and finish is top notch.

On a slightly different tack they also make some very interesting turntables but a bit out of my price range.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

So being that technology is a great thing... I suppose one could probably draw up schematics for one which could be machined relatively inexpensively, or maybe even a skeletal one which could be 3D printed and then could have some sort of off-the-shelf metal weight attached to it. Just thinking out loud.

latheofheaven likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That vid simply shows that it flattens records. I stand behind my first statement. Vinyl Flat fixes warped records Permanently and for a fraction of the cost

latheofheaven and patient_ot like this.
  17. Brian Gupton

I'm still on the fence given the price. I have a huge cart worth of UK original pressings all in M or NM quality of titles I've been eyeing that I can get or I can get the outer ring. I always think of accessories in terms of the vinyl I could purchase instead.

Vinyl Addict, Tullman and Sailfree like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You're going to get it.

chervokas and Brian Gupton like this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Devil's advocate: What if you get all that vinyl, but it's too warped to play? :shh:

But seriously, I think you and I are in agreement that turntables are designed to work as a system of sorts -- if the system requires a clamp, mat, special platter, etc. to realize the designers intentions, it comes with the clamp/etc or at the bare minimum the manufacturer makes these items available as upgrades themselves.

(I was kind of hoping writing that would make me less curious as to how the VPI ring would work with my Classic. Sadly, it didn't, still kinda want one, still think of all the better things I could do with that much money.)

20. Brian Gupton

Yeah, price seems high for what it is, but I guess everything in this hobby has to be overpriced given the low volumes that are actually sold.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

If that same 12" ring of metal was for a Ford pickup truck vs. an audiophile turntable it would cost about $30. More Ford trucks on the road then there are audiophile turntables, but I'm not sure how much economy of scale applies to rings of metal. There's a lot of profit there.

Vinyl Addict and Tullman like this.
  22. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I found the outer ring to be well worth the expense. The background is appreciably blacker, significantly helps with warps. I have a vinyl flat and groovy pouch it's pretty good with most warps, but no panacea. Highly recommended for serious listening. I was skeptical and to be honest I'm not sure I notice the center weights effect on sound.

Rolltide likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Brian that's the dig for me as well. The price of admission is very steep at around $1,000. My TT works and sounds pretty great without it. I could use the money for vinyl, SACDs, CDs or other accessories.

Sailfree likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Everything is overpriced because some people would think it can't be good if it so inexpensive. I think once every thing is tooled up it shouldn't cost that much to make a fricken' metal ring.

25. When someone admits to being skeptical at first, then admits that their preconceived assumptions were at least partially incorrect or unfounded makes me value the opinion of that person more than most. The post above combined with other positive posts by chervokas lead me to believe that outer rings may do more to improve sound quality than I was initially inclined to believe.

Now time for me to be totally honest. I am a cheap bastard and just can't seem to get on board with shelling out $800 for a metal ring with some copper balls welded to the bottom. I spend a good portion of my salary on audio gear and will pay top dollar for certain items when necessary, but as Brian Gupton suggests, I could buy a lot of great records with that kind of money. I can relate to that comment.

I will follow this post and try to keep an open mind. Research and development costs have to be considered also. That being said, shame these cost so much. If not I would be all about giving one a whirl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.