Outer ring record clamps (non-VPI)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

Why not buy from a 30-60 day guarantee online place like Music Direct? Try and see yourself. Very easy to AB with a friend and a blindfold.

2. I am in the process of rebuilding/modifying a pair of electrostatic servo charge amps and then buying a new tonearm for my new/used Oracle TT, so money is tight right now! Oh yeah, also buying some Jupiter Copper Foil capacitors from Sonic Craft before they go off sale at the end of this month. Great coupling capacitors IMHO! I will keep these outer rings on the radar and possibly my "wish list" for future purchases.

3. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

IMO, a periphery ring is a worthwhile investment since it will last forever.

I often see some for sale on the used market.

latheofheaven, Tullman and Sailfree like this.
  4. Now I could see myself buying a used one for less money. It would be hard to "break" or damage one without there being visible evidence.

5. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

The TTW has a money back return policy.

I just found out that the TTW with the copper domes might not work on my Brinkmann at all. The Oasis has a recessed platter, so the outer edge of the platter kinda extends out a bit (see pic). I'm guessing none of the rings would work with a platter design like this.

[​IMG]

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well Brian, it looks like you will need an new TT.:p

latheofheaven and Brian Gupton like this.
  7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So, the clamp/weight combo costs around twice as much as the Turntable? :eek:

latheofheaven and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

The clamp was $89 and ring $230. Both purchased from TTweights a few years back. I believe these items are discontinued.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well...I just picked up the TT Weights outer ring clamp and center weight. I put on a warped record that was basically unplayable. The ring clamp and center weight flattened it right out. It was easy to set the ring clamp in place using the installation disc that fits right over the spindle. . The stylus easily cleared the clamp that was virtually level with the record. Cueing was the same process as without a clamp. I then checked the speed of my Classic 1 by using the KAB strobe disc with the stylus running through the grooves. Using my VPI SDS, I was able to dial in a dead on 33.33.

When I dropped the needle the first time for listening, my jaw dropped, as well. Every instrument had more focus, the bass was tighter, the soundstage wider, the timbre more natural and the noise floor lower. It was like my Classic 1 just moved up to the next level of TT.

I am truly impressed with the performance of the TT Weights ring and center weight. I feel like playing through my entire vinyl collection just to hear what it sounds like with my new setup!

[​IMG]

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So what made you pick that one over VPI's ring? Lower price, or better reviews?

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I picked up the TTWeights over the VPI ring for a couple of reasons.

1. Better price
    2. Better quality and materials

I believe the TTW ring is more evolved. There was a lot more thought put into it. I paid $150 for both weights pictured. The VPI is on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Good to know. I've been thinking about both outer rings and speed control boxes for my Classic.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I believe the Classic was designed for all of those things. In a way we are lucky to have a TT that can be upgraded in such a way.

I have been looking at rings for years now and finally pulled the trigger. Yes, it is expensive but so is the Classic TT. I'm glad to have the new ring and weight.

The Classic by itself is a nice TT, but if you can afford it I would get the accessories to take you to the next level.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Absolutely, what an incredible table. I paid about 2200 for mine used, which made it an even better value even if I got the black finish vs. the wood grain that was my preference.

What did you think of the improvements just the SDS gave you? I'm looking at that as well as the Phoenix Engineering Eagle/Roadrunner, but I believe even VPI suggests going ring clamp first.

I take it you remove the foam washer from the spindle when you stopped using the VPI clamp?

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The SDS gave my TT better speed stability and the ability to adjust the speed and a lower noise floor. I also had a popping sound every time I turned the TT on, now with SDS I am getting no popping sound.

I would get the SDS first because you can adjust the speed when you add a ring clamp.

I did remove the washer to accomodate the TT weight.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

...And sold!

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm in the same boat. Tullman's posts have convinced me as well. There are a couple used on ebay for $720. there is also a non vpi version that is about $500 selling new on ebay.

The $1,300 needed to buy a new vpi sds just hurts to think about.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, that Eagle has gotten good reviews, I've been reading a lot about it. It has the advantage of being able to be paired with the Roadrunner, a device which monitors the speed in real time and allows the Eagle to adjust on the fly. Together, the cost is around those used SDS's.

http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/

Tullman and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yep, that's the one. I am kind of a whore for a name brand, making the vpi more of a standout.

20. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Thanks for that update! I have a Classic 3 that is about to get a new cartridge, but I have also been tempted by the SDS and the TTW Outer Ring. Those will have to come later : )

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I
    It took me a couple of years before I broke down and got the SDS and several years before I got the outer ring. This after people on this forum with these components were recommending them.

It's hard to know exactly what you are getting into until you try it and a thousand bucks is a high price of admission.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the red vinyl pictured with the TT weight is warped, but not with the ring.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, that's sort of where I'm at. If there's a way to squeeze more out of the Classic I'd like to do so, but its hard to know exactly what I'm getting and how to stack rank speed control and ring clamps in terms of how to best spend my audio dollars.

23. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

just read this

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...project-technics-sl100-periphery-record-clamp

and this quote from the kickstarted page caught my eye

The PRODUCTS WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING TURNTABLES

We will retool and produce this new ring for the 1200 and provide those backers with superb and high value rewards from $30.00 and up. Will fit the following Technics Turntables. Technics SL1210 M5G (SL1200 MK2, MK3, MK3D, MK5 & M5G

Also will fit the Audio Technica Series AT-LP1240 (USB)i

Also will fit Pioneer PLX-1000

Tullman likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

So..
    I wonder if you would have had the same improvement if for arguments sake you had another flat un warped copy of the same album? As the ring is just presenting a flat record, correct?

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Have you measured the speed of your table? My Classic is about 6 months old and it is running at 33.6. I to was deciding between the clamp and the box and now that I know the table is so far off, the clamp will have to be pushed back. Improving the soundstage for something at the wrong speed seems a little backwards to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.