Outer sleeves for gatefold LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mycroft, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am searching for outer sleeves for gatefold LPs - the kind that allows you to open the gatefold without pulling it out of the cover.

Any ideas where to find them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Have you seen these before somewhere ?? I can't say I've seen them anywhere.

I'm looking for an extra large outer for my oversized boxed sets; example Wilco - Kicking Television 4xlp

3. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

I've been buying my gatefold sleeves from Juno Records in the UK for several years. They have a decent selection of various sizes and grades of outer and inner sleeves. I'm pretty sure they ship overseas too.

Don't think they do anything suitable for box sets though.

http://www.juno.co.uk/dj-equipment/record-sleeves/

4. mycroft

My local dealer used to sell them, they are currently out of stock.

Maybe from Sleeve City?
    http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-outer.shtml

5. mycroft

Looks like the ones I am looking for - at a reasonable price :righton:

Thanks.

6. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

My advice, from experience is to never use plastic "protective" covers, they can stick
    to the sleeve and ruin it, especially if your LPs are tightly packed on shelves.

7. pedropereira

pedropereira Forum Resident

I´m also looking for some sleeves for a dozen of boxes i have...they have to be bigger than the regular sizes...Any help would be great!

8. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

this has never happened to me.

9. mycroft

Me neither.

10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Try Covers33 in Uk. They keep loads of stuff for music storage/protection.

11. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Further to this, anybody know of anywhere that sells poly inner sleeves and polypropylene outer sleeves for 10"s? I don't have that many 10"s, but those that I do have suffer badly from dust due to lack of proper sleeving...

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Bagsunlimited.com might. they have pretty extensive archival products.

13. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Sorry about your experience but I've never heard of this before in my life. Something was either wrong with the jackets you covered or with the sleeves you used.

Ed

14. Nostaljack

Agreed. Bagsunlimited.com definitely has these. I've gotten them before.

Ed

15. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Maybe it was cheaper covers, but I've bought some like it, and it
    happened to a Jellyfish LP, now torn!!!, never used them since, and I can't see the point
    of the expense or use of valuable shelf space. I am careful with my sleeves when playing LPs, isn't everyone here?

16. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

The reason is, it's a European phenomenon, not a US one. In Europe, LP sleeves were typically laminated (unlike US ones) and over time, PVC sleeves could weld themselves to the laminate.

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I've used pvc outers a long time (I now use a lighter, soft plastic outer) and have only ever once had one adhere to a sleeve. I think the sleeve may have been damp. My theory is it's an atmosphere/moisture issue. I've left the pvc outer on the album it happened to, rather than mess it up. Worth checking Lps which have been in outers a long time.

18. Wait a minute, are there actually gatefold outer sleeves that allow you to fold open the gatefold and access each of the records? I've been buying poly innies and outies for decades and have never seen a true gatefold outie. The link does not elaborate or show it in action. I could really use a few hundred of these to start!!

19. Nostaljack

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks. Never knew that. I have a couple that bare looking at in that case. Thankfully, only a couple but gotta check 'em out.

Ed

20. Web browsing on a blackberry is at best, a very limited pleasure...

OK, just looked at this on my pc. That's exactly what it is. Thanks for the link. Now to try and get some on this side of the pond..

Thanks for the link.

21. Anyone know where to get gatefold poly outers in North America?(Canada or the US)

Not listed on either of the bagsunlimited or Sleevetown sites

22. mycroft

23. evilsweeps

evilsweeps New Member

Just check out the above mentioned sites and here's some extra info:
    It seems that http://www.juno.co.uk/dj-equipment/record-sleeves/ no longer sells these
    and http://covers33.co.uk/index.php/record/record-pvc-covers/12-pvc-gatefold does not ship to USA

I ended up buying 20 from http://www.diversevinyl.com/item.php?id=9c8979e846adc6600b9e9e8d8fa3f232
    and 25 from http://www.soundswholesaleltd.co.uk...EL_DOUBLE_GATEFOLD_PVC_RECORD_SLEEVES_56.html

will post shipping times and sleeve quality differences one I've received them.

Thanks!

24. mycroft

Diversevinyl.co.uk has become my go-to store for record sleeves.
    The sleeves are quite thick. Compared to samples from Sleeve City I would estimate they are about the same as the Ultimate Outer 5.0 Sleeve.
    Not as clear, though. I do not know if they qualify as "orange peel".

Would be interested in hearing about any differences between those and the ones from soundswholesaleltd.co.uk.

25. evilsweeps

evilsweeps New Member

Ok so my order from Diversevinal.com came today, making a Newport UK to New York USA processing + shipping time of just over 10 business days. Still waiting on my soundswholesaleltd order.

as you said, these are thick, high quality sleeves, clear as day on a my nice gatefolds. Hoping soundswholesaleltd are similar quality, I'll post pictures and more in-depth review once my second order comes in.

mycroft likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.