Outer sleeves for your thicker than normal gatefolds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

So I have the 40th anniversary vinyl edition of Rush A Farewell to Kings, but I don't have the gatefold protected at all because it's just too darn thick (TWSS). Almost all of my gatefold LPs fit inside the outer sleeves I use without a problem, but not this one, and not Zep's Presence or Maiden's The Book of Souls if I have the vinyl inside the jacket. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Cliff likes this.
  3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I also have this problem with Iron Maiden 1990-2010 and David Gilmour's On an Island.

4. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Magnums

dougotte and MarkO like this.
  5. BagsUnlimited

BagsUnlimited New Member

Joe, we might have something in stock that isn't specifically made for box sets as large as that Rush one but may fit. Is it possible that you could give me some dimensions for it? We are in the process of making a set of new protective box set sleeves and we have been seeing more and more of these oversized ones and would love to be able to have a product to fit it.

Thanks!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  6. BagsUnlimited

BagsUnlimited New Member

Sorry i didn't read the question as thoroughly as i should have. Roughly how thick is the gatefold? We may already have something in stock that will work perfectly. Thanks!

7. Madness

Hey thanks for the response; the gatefold for the Rush AFTK 40th anniversary is 1/2" thick without any of the 4 LPs in it.

8. Madness

As a lot of posters have said, search search search the forum and ye shall find! So I did that, and ran across a reference to Sleevie-Wonder outer sleeves, and found a pack of 10 on Amazon that have are max 3/4", so that sounded perfect. Didn't have to spend the money on 50 or 100 sleeves. I'll repost once I get them in and share my results of the sleeves for the larger gatefolds, with and without the vinyl in them.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sleeve City makes a slightly oversized 5mm outer sleeve (not the box set sleeve linked above). Almost 13” square and much heavier material that the box set sleeves.

I use them. Work well for thicker gatefolds & double LPs, yet you can still use them for not-so-thick albums. Should serve your purpose.

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

12. Madness

I checked sleeve city but couldn't find anything that might work for the 40th anniversary Rush A Farewell to Kings release; the gatefold without any vinyl in it is 1/2" thick.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You don’t think the Oversized Ultimate 5.0 sleeve will work? They work fine for things like the Beatles red & blue reissues or 45rpm double LP sets for me. I’ve never measured them but I would think they’re 1/2” thick, if not more.

14. Madness

There isn't enough information on the product on that web site to make a determination whether it would work or not. It only says its oversized in size (12.92" square), not the width it can hold.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t know what else to say. You asked for suggestions. As I said, they work for me just fine. And I put my LPs outside the jacket - thus adding additional width.

You’re not going to get something that says it will hold up to an x” wide spine.

They give you the dimensions. Do the math.

16. Madness

Yeah the math tells me it's 12.92" square...when I say larger jackets, I mean thickness, not larger than a normal vinyl jacket. The size of the typical cardboard LP sleeve cover is 12.375"; having it accomodate a jacket up to 12.92" square isn't my problem. Box set outer sleeves can hold anywhere from an inch thick to more.

I'm just saying I have no idea if that "oversize" sleeve will hold anything as thick as a box set.

Sorry if I didn't seem grateful for your suggestion...I am...they just won't work for me from what I can tell from that web site, and I don't need 50 of them.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Now you’re mentioning box sets. What exactly do you want - outer sleeves for box sets or outer sleeves for wide spine jackets?

If you want outer sleeves for smaller spined box sets (I’m not exactly sure how small - maybe an inch or so), the sleeves linked early in thread should work. If you’re looking for outer sleeves for wider spine or double LP sets (perhaps even 3LP sets), the oversized ultimate sleeves should work. If you want outer sleeves for larger box sets (like the Presence set), I don’t have a clue - but would love to hear of any.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. Madness

The Rush 40th AFTK jacket is 1/2" thick, even without the LPs in it. It is not "larger" or "oversized"; it's thicker than a standard LP jacket. I can put this jacket in one of those oversized sleeves, and it will fit with room to spare on both sides, but the web site description for that product does not mention anything about being able to hold thicker jackets like box sets. I have regular outer sleeves that will hold double LP jackets...that's not a problem. This Rush issue has 4 LPs; Maiden's The Book of Souls has 3 LPs. Zeppelin's Presence is 2 LPs, but it's a tri-fold, and it won't fit in my standard outer sleeves either. Room on the sides like I said is NOT the problem. These are not wider square than a regular LP. They are THICKER. I don't need extra room on the sides.

This conversation is moot; I already ordered sleevie-wonder outer sleeves that actually state in the product detail how thick a jacket it can support...these sleeve city ones do not talk about thickness at all.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, the additional room on the sides IS the answer though.

You pinch in the extra room on the sides to get the record jacket to fit in an outer sleeve, no? Is that extra room you can pinch in on each side of the larger sleeve enough to accomodate the extra width of the spine over a normal spine? In other words, does the circumference of the outer sleeve comfortably exceed the circumference of the jacket?

But if you’re happy, great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.