Overplayed songs you never got sick of even a little

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeenAround, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Live

elee532 likes this.
  2. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Come Together - amazing, but true.

ParloFax and elee532 like this.
  3. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Any Beatles
    Stones Brown Sugar
    Who Baba O Riley
    Rod Stewart Maggie Mae
    Boz&Skydog Loan Me a Dime(DA took guitar further than anyone here beggining with country blues and building to a full throttle R&R
    finale.His finest studio work.Heavy
    rotation on early 70s F.M. radio.48 yrs later still rockin to it regularly. That organ intro still floors me!
    Bowie Rebel Rebel
    Dave Mason Look at Me,Look at You(worked @F.M. radio1971-1975 and this was a constant Clapton's uncredited guitar is one of best)
    Pretenders My City Was Gone(not only was Chrissie fine,fine,fine but she could rock too!)

RogerB and BrutandCharisma like this.
  4. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Ancient and incorrect rumour, reinforced by an ignorant Greil Marcus comment. Anyways, it's Mason playing a Flying V.

5. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Maybe I'm stretching a little to call these "songs" but:

Chopin - Preludes
    Handel - Water Music
    J. S. Bach - Contrapunctus no. 1 from The Art of Fugue

6. samthesham

Mayb
    Maybe so but this story was circulating in underground radio long before (8yrs) Marcus quote.

7. samthesham

Interesting.I dont doubt this but I would like text to read stating this as a fact.Please post your source.

8. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Very true. I remember hearing the rumour soon after Alone Together dropped in 1970.

Here's the line from Marcus:

"At its most distinctive, there was something heroic, something tragic, about Clapton’s playing [...] most of all, it’s in the long, unsatisfied, unsatisfiable solo that ends Dave Mason’s “Look at Me, Look at You”[...]"​

which I thought I had read in original edition of Mystery Train (1975). I see the clause about "Look at Me, Look at You" isn't in the much later edition I have here. But it's there on Marcus' site in the context of a mini-review of Clapton' Crossroads in 1988. Real Life Rock Top 10 (05/88) >>

9. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

2013 Dave Mason "Alone Together" musicians >>
    Marc Roberty: I spoke to Dave Mason about this a few years ago and he told me that HE played the solos and that Eric was not present at the sessions.

2014 Dear Mr. Fantasy: EntertainmentTell Interviews Dave Mason >>
    Mason: Yeah! I mean, I’ve got people who’ve gone in my stuff about Alone Together—there are people [listed as] playing on Alone Together that I’ve never heard of, and Eric Clapton is [supposedly] playing the solo on “Look at You, Look at Me.” I mean, it’s ridiculous.

As for the Flying V reference, it was from a 2003 interview with Mason that I found online in 2006 at a long-dead site; only my note (and my seemingly misplaced hardcopy somewhere in my files) remains. Which I acknowledge is a poor substitute; I'll delete or at least qualify it.

Edit re the Flying V: can't seem to edit my earlier post. The qualification in this one will have to do.

10. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Common People by Pulp. Don't think I've actually chosen to listen to it since the 90s but every time I hear it by chance I'm a little surprised by how great it still sounds.

John54 and Harry Speakup like this.
  11. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I never got tired of hearing Smooth by Santana & Rob Thomas

12. samthesham

Wow!After all these many decades.You know to me it really never did sound like Clapton (that much) anyway.Great solo makes a solid masterpiece even better IMO.Yeah man thanks for info.Right then.

rgutter likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

REO Speedwagon - Roll with the Changes. I love Gary's playing.

g.z. and Splungeworthy like this.
  14. samthesham

I actually found yet another Marcus quote regarding AT in his text Stranded where he literally states again that C was the player.Think I will check him on this on his web site,and use the info you posted as source material.Thanks.

rgutter likes this.
  15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Hey Jude
    Without You
    Born to Run
    Dancing Queen
    Won't Get Fooled Again
    Rocket Man
    Livin' Thing
    Magic

16. So far I seem to be immune against the overplaying syndrome of Argent's Hold Your Head Up, which has become a staple of classic rock in my area. It's just an extraordinary song, performance and production. Just too much to "not like" about it...

g.z. likes this.
  17. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

There a long interview by Simon Reynolds (whose Retromania is a crucial read) with Marcus in the Los Angeles Review of Books>>, where he very belatedly (2012) acknowledges the truth. Well, sort of:

I was listening to Dave Mason’s one great solo album [Alone Together, 1970], and there’s a track, “Look at You Look at Me,” which has a very long guitar solo at the end: an unspeakably marvelous and elegant piece of music. Everyone at the time thought it was Eric Clapton playing it … supposedly it’s Mason, but if it’s really Mason it’s the greatest Clapton solo that Clapton never played.​

samthesham likes this.
  18. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Happy Christmas (War Is Over)

RogerB likes this.
  19. samthesham

Now that I have witnessed first hand I am going with your info.Again thanks.

20. samthesham

Sounds as if Greil is trying to cover his tracks but indirectly.

rgutter likes this.
  21. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Yeah, exactly. "Your honour, everyone was involved, and I was just going along with it. And IF we made a mistake, well, you can see why we would."

samthesham likes this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Exactly my list.

RogerB likes this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

"Don't Dream It's Over"-Crowded House
    "There She Goes"-The La's
    "Wish You Were Here"-Pink Floyd

24. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

"It's Your Thing" - The Isley Brothers
    "Me And Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Comfortably Numb

In fact, it's the only song from The Wall that I stilll can listen to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.