Owned physical media and/or downloaded music vs streaming services.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Price.pittsburgh, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I've bought at least 10,000 titles over the years on various formats and streaming offers a way to get reacquainted with some titles I have sold or otherwise gotten rid of or lost over the years. I do enjoy Apple Music even though it took some time to get used to how it worked. I had most of my stuff ripped with iTunes anyways. Its impossible to rebuy everything I just don't have those kinds of funds. I only really buy anything nowadays if its a Special Edition anyway.

2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Ever try to roll a joint on a downloaded album? Cannot even imagine doing it on a streaming album.

broshfab4, Malina and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have the free Spotify account. Its good for previewing albums & discovering artists in a similar genre, but I would never pay to stream music.

4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I was talking about why I would get into vinyl, not necessarily why young peeps do. CD was sold to my generation as being indestructible. CDs can go mouldy, get warped, scratched and cracked. Sure they're arguably less fragile than vinyl but they aren't what was originally sold to us. They aren't indestructible discs that sound better than vinyl...
    Ha. No but you do have to type the artist, albumnor song
    I don't understand the issue. For ten bucks a month you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want and however many times you want. People should look at this differently and not stick at the point of non-ownership. Who needs to own it when you can play it whenever you like for peanuts?

bherbert and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Right now, I'm doing Red Book CDs only.

6. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I would prefer artists to earn more than "peanuts" for their work (especially the "little guys").

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I like it all. CD's, streaming, mp3 players, vinyl. It's all good.

bherbert, SandAndGlass and mj_patrick like this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

How did this get to Visual Arts?

SandAndGlass and Malina like this.
  9. sunking101

How much do you think the artist gets when you buy a CD for £5? The majority of people on this forum own the album they're streaming, I do and usually on several different formats. If that's the way the industry is going then there's no point becoming a martyr. If I pay £10 a month for 12 months and maybe play the majority of albums once during that period, how much of my £120 does an artist deserve for one spin of their album? Kids have taped their mates' vinyl, burned their mates' CDs and ripped MP3s off the 'net for free *for decades*. Now lots of kids just watch YouTube, again for free. At least a streaming subscription gets some money off them!

10. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Correction:
    "[Y]ou can play it whenever you like for peanuts, as long as the rights holder chooses to make it available".

Owning a physical copy eliminates that little concern.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I am assuming you are near the same generation as I am so you have known the pros and cons of cds and vinyl for decades. Why you are still concerned about an alleged promise of indestructibility back then is rather curious....I have been collecting cds since 1987 and have yet to have a cd go bad on me. If you're having problems with mold, warp, scratch and crack, it's not the fault of the medium.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  12. sunking101

No problems with CDs here. I was just saying that they were sold to us as being unbreakable and having better sound quality than vinyl, neither of which is true.

13. sunking101

Sure. There are pros and cons both to owning a physical collection and to streaming. I own a massive collection and I'm not a full time streamer. I stream very little and I already own a physical copy of 99.9% of whatever I do stream. However if funds and/or space are lacking, or you move around a lot, or if you just want to 'get with the times' then streaming can be awesome. I'm usually a stick-in-the-mud but I can see the benefits of streaming bigtime.

14. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

OK, I realized you own physical media in addition to streaming with a later post of yours which I hadn't read yet when I quoted you.

Of course, what I wrote is a response to the idea of streaming INSTEAD of owning CDs or LPs (or cassettes, or.... etc....). And those copyright issues are a real concern that I believe a lot of people don't think about. There's ALREADY a thread here somewhere about favorite songs or artists that are no longer available on streaming services. So it's not a hypothetical issue. It's actually happening.

Personally, I don't believe in renting music, although I can understand streaming's appeal for convenience or for sampling new music. But INSTEAD of owning physical copies? Sorry, but no.

sunking101 likes this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There's room in the world for a philosophy that treats physical purchases as (among other things) a coin-toss into a busker's open guitar case. If I go to a show of a struggling act I love and the merch is limited to physical product and T-shirts, I buy physical product (I don't do tees, but I've got a few I've never worn for acts that had nothing but that on offer).

Even if I have it already.
    Even if it's vinyl and I have no way of playing it.

Adopting this practice (among may other things in the last 20 years) made me re-think what a physical-product purchase is.

And on the other hand, I have also re-thought, over that time, what "listening to an album a couple of times" means.

16. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Amazon just delivered 2 box sets and 8 CDs. Weeks before I bought around 10 used CDs. But I have to admit there has to be a limit on how much stuff I should accumulate. Physical possessions seem more like a burden to me now.

Because of Netflix I have completely stopped buying DVDs. This is totally a good thing. What about stuff that are not on Netflix? I don't care about those because I barely have time for the stuff on there now. In my iTunes library about 2 percent are iTunes downloads and I have forgotten which ones but playing back I don't notice any obvious loss of sound quality.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say... Apple is doing a great job with their Apple Watch commercials, which point out, "plays 40 million songs." And that is essentially true, if you have a subscription to Apple Music.

[​IMG]

Some may remember when the original iPod was introduced in October of 2001, the tag line was, "1000 songs in your pocket." 40 million songs is a lot more.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I bought into the whole Spotify premium account thing and would cancel it now, but because both my sons (16 &12 years old) really get a hell of a lot out of it, I'm stuck.

19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Well, it's a great deal when you think about it, but I'm not that into streaming. The amount I use it wouldn't justify paying for it.

20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

It's like the recorded music is now the "advertising" for the things they actually do make money on (concerts, merchandise, movies, endorsements, etc.)

HenryFly and sunking101 like this.
  21. sunking101

Yes. Rightly or wrongly, and on a certain level it is depressing, the whole industry has changed. People make their money from touring now. The ticket prices have rocketed! Guns 'n' Roses haven't finished their tour yet and it has already raked in $230m. Obviously smaller bands don't make anything like that. Motorhead, Magnum and Saxon etc - bands of that level - would release an album and then tour it every 12-18 months. Speaking of Motorhead, Phil Campbell's post-MH band 'The Bastard Sons' will be touring small venues with the occasional decent support slot and it will be their only real source of income. Their EP sold a few thousand copies and it will be the same for their upcoming album. Still, people like Adele and Ed Sheeran still manage to become multi-millionaires in the current climate. Everyone is forced to adjust and if your product is good then people will still want to have it in some capacity.

22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You mean the crap that is the bottom rung of licenses outside of original tv quality series?

Hey each to his own. I prefer to have top quality transfers of grade A material than waste time with C rate garbage that are left overs from the studios giving premium license to either the main distributors or top shelf (but lower selling) independents that go to smaller companies that take the time to do it right like Criterion or Arrow. Where is Brian De Palma or Scorsese complete catalog...not on Netflix. What about Kubrick or Hawks....again not on Netflix, and if it is, it looks and sounds like crap because of the throttled 10 mbps bit rate...if you are lucky.

Xxxxxx

Sunking,

Reading through your post about the so called promise of CD being indestructable....who would ever buy that??

CD's are plastic, and no they shouldn't be rubbed against concrete or laid out in the sun and still work like straight outta the factory, but that said, if taken care of, the plastic (as any environmentalist will tell you) should last thousands of years.

Aluminum and epoxy glue are the same difference. Again you can't wash your CD's in water and expect to not be asking for trouble.

Now I have a question for you...which do you think will last longer. ... Apple license or that physical product? Lol

Apple has been very successful, but so was IBM and Atari...matter of fact in the grand scheme of things compared to population and landscape, both were arguably bigger. In the reality of it all, Apple is simply an interface, and the real worth is the actors/studios/physical product.

Everytime a new generation member tries to guess the future, I think more and more about the dynasty's thay survived because they actually lent the goods, not the ones that carried them around.

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Yep I will keep buying my music on a CD as long as it remains affordable.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

As do digital downloads.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Except digital downloads are stored on a unstable magnet, chip set, or burned format. All 3 are just not reliable. That is why manufactured aluminum and plastic (of course in the old days, shellac was even better) are way more desirable to collectors that not only want a stable storage, but also can count on a peer reviewed save state that was published. A digital download is the flavor of the week with only a mild step up from streaming.

broshfab4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.