DCC Archive Paging Evan Tillman ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

I was wondering if you go into shops like used record stores in Japan. I've done business with some from Tokyo and have always wondered how plentiful is used Japanese vinyl in good condition over there. Are LPs still "around"? Do most people keep the OBI's on the silly things? I collect a lot of JPN vinyl. A lot of them are very good.

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Sckott,

Yes, there are a lot of used record/CD shops in the area. Vinyl is still quite popular here. I frequent some shops near me looking for CDs and vinyl (I try to get off of post as much as possible). I have found all sorts of things here. I almost have a complete collection of Rolling Stones CDs (and a few LPs) on the London label. Most of the shops have a good mix of CDs and Vinyl, but some favor one over the other. It varies. A lot of the CDs and the LPs still have the Obi’s on them. I have a vinyl copy of “Hot Rocks” with the Obi. Most of the vinyl is in good shape and relatively inexpensive. I have even considered selling some of the items I come across on e-Bay (mostly the Rolling stones items) but with the mail delivery situation the way it is over here, I will have to put that off for a while :(

Evan

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If my local music store sells vinyl it is special ordered and sells mostly to DJ's but I do have Johnny Cash's "American III: Solitary Man" on vinyl. The only places in this area where vinyl is sold is thrift shops, garage sales, etc. and it isn't as popular here as it is in Duluth, Minnesota and the Twin Cities but my employer is trying to deal with distributors that do carry vinyl so that they can carry it. They do sell turntables at my employer though so it is natural that they want to carry vinyl, mostly of the DJ/Dance mix type of stuff but I did give him information for Classic Records so that I can buy some of their product locally as there is stuff they have I'm interested in. I have heard Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft" in my local music store and it is a wonderful album so I may be interested in buying that on vinyl when my employer starts carrying vinyl. I have a live promo CD of 5 songs he has studio versions of the songs on "Time Out of Mind" and liked the songs so I may buy the vinyl of that album even though it costs more than the CD as Sckott also knows, there is nothing like vinyl (the "Time Out of Mind" CD now lists at $11.98 while the vinyl still lists at $16.98).

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

The Johnny Cash LP is quite a piece of work, and those with turntables should seek this out. I still drop this one on the Rega and am QUITE amazed at the sound, although it's an ordinary pressing. It's a gorgeous sound. Not to mention Johnny's still has his magic, if not more than the Columbia days!

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right Sckott.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.