Palo Santo by Shearwater from 2006 is an incredible record ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP) Thread Starter

Discussion continued from Shearwater fans? Talk Talk meet Jeff Buckley? , I think there are a few more Shearwater fans around now, and the new Loma record this year is very nice too, with Jonathan Meiburg, Emily Cross and Dan Duszynski. My original thread went nowhere, so this is the 11 year anniversary thread, remixed and remastered :)

Listening to the expanded Matador vinyl today, especially side three with the demo versions, which I have played over and over, just can't get enough of this music some days, such a great record. Palo Santo is probably the one I come back to most often, never far from the table no matter what else has struck my fancy of late. This one is pretty special too with the mysterious Nico backstory, always a fascinating listen. The only problem for me is that I sometimes prefer the original release on the Fargo CD, it's got that slightly unpolished sound, but sometimes the more lush sounding vinyl with the newly recorded versions is the best, usually it is the best, like today it is sounding incredible, guess it's not really a problem at all, just two slightly different perspectives on a great album. The vinyl gets the nod for the beautifully pressed and packaged 2-LP set with scenic lyric sheet (not gatefold, but small consolation for the inexpensive original price) and great sounding John Golden mastering.

And a usual, today's listening session did lead into more Shearwater listening, and to pulling out the incredible Rook, and more. The SHTV Shearwater and associated thread history ...
    Shearwater fans? Talk Talk meet Jeff Buckley?
    Incredible new record from Shearwater
    Incredible new record from Shearwater 2010
    Shearwater - Animal Joy (2012)
    Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow
    Loma. Self titled 2018 Sub Pop lp

And the Island Arc Trilogy concert excerpts makes for a really nice intro to a beautiful set of albums too...
    The Island Arc Live (Excerpts), by Shearwater

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    pathosdrama likes this.
  2. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I have Palo Santo, The Golden Archipelago, Rook and Animal Joy. I found the latter a bit of a disappointment. Of the island trilogy, Rook is far and away my favourite. You were lucky with your vinyl quality - mine are a bit noisy.

3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Good music for sure. They seem more intellectual than your average indie band. Would like to read more of their thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.