Panasonic DVD-F87 5-disc DVD/ DVD-Audio changer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I bought one last weekend actually, my first foray into the world of DVD-Audio. I finally got to hear Donald Fagen and The Flaming Lips (the only two DVD-A discs I own) is glorious high-res stereo!

For 130 bucks you can't go wrong, the picture looks great and I love the 5 disc carousel, very convenient, especially when watching a film that spans two discs (Godfather II, Lord of the rings EE).

I think I'll be picking up more DVD-A discs this weekend.

3. RickH

Cool, Tyler. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm gonna have a hard time not getting this new toy. :righton:

4. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

hey, I just bought one of these today!!

sounds great to me so far...I was initially just looking for a carousel CD player, but for the $$ I figured I'd get DVD as well.

here's a comparison chart I was just looking at:

http://www.video-direct.com/panasonic/dvd/dvd.html

it's interesting that you can set it to "audio only", shutting off the video components and ( supposedly?) reducing signal noise

also I went for the DVD-audio format over SACD....the F87 also has 6 channel DVD-A, vs. 2 for the other models

I dig the fact that you can swap out all 4 of the discs without interrupting playback :goodie:

*edited for crimes against spelling & vocabulary*

5. RickH

I think this Panasonic has a "Double Remaster" button for a "remastered" effect on music discs. If you guys use this feature, let us know if it makes much of a difference, positive or negative.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I was thinking about this model as well. Surprisingly, no one mentioned the HDCD capability? So how the quality of CD playback?

7. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I was holding off posting anything until I got more familiar with it.....plus I'm not as hardcore into audio as some of you, so you probably want to take whatever I say with a grain of salt ;)

I am surprised at the amount of background hiss in a lot of recordings....but that could be 'cause it's more revealing (?) & I'm turning it up quite loud without realizing it as much....see my thread on "tape hiss/CD's" . Maybe next weekend I'll go into a hi end audio shop with the same discs & compare.

I tried the old Harvest japanese release of "dark side of the moon" compared with the recent SACD version, and they both have loud hiss in the same spots. esp noticeable if you turn up at the beginning of the album, when the heartbeat comes in. even though it's not SACD compatible, the normal CD mode of that should sound pretty good, no?

also Band of Gypsies (experience hendrix' version) , lots of tape (?) hiss on that as well

...tried the HDCD version of Yes' "relayer", and "yessongs", and the hiss wasn't nearly as noticeable.

I have peter gabriel's "passion" around here somewhere, that's apparently quite a good digital recording, I'll have to give that a listen as well.

I'm interested in what anyone else thinks of the thing myself....

haven't tried the upsampling feature yet.

right now The Wall is blasting away...."on to the bedroom, in the suitase on the left you'll find my favourite axe...!!" :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.