Panasonic to quit making plasma TVs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I use the optical out to my receiver. No probs.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the optical doesn't send the lossless signal. I hooked it up and only got DTS audio, not DTS-HD like I would through HDMI...

3. alexpop

I'm making do with the optical option till I upgrade.

4. Oatsdad

I don't wanna make do - I want my 3D AND my lossless audio, dagnabbit! :D

I'm sure one of the splitters will do the trick - I just hoped somebody here could offer an informed opinion so I don't have to sort through the usual nonsense on Amazon...

5. alexpop

Hope this bump helps.

6. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

That's because TOSLINK and S/PDIF don't have the bandwidth to send DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. HDMI does.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. Oatsdad

Thanks! I still need a splitter recommendation! :D

8. Colin...Monoprice is a good brand to get HDMI products and accessories from...including splitters!!!

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Hey, there's one recommendation - thanks!

Anyone else?

10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Yeah I was going to recommend Monoprice as well. I haven't had personal experience with splitters but was in the same boat as you with my TX-SR805, only 3 HDMI inputs and no 3D pass through. I upgraded last year to a TX-NR818 from One Call shipped for $699. If you're thinking of upgrading and they sell the brand/model you want, check out their "USED" price on Amazon then give them a call and they'll sell you one new in box at the same price. I wanted to grab the Denon 4311CI but at $1300 it was just a tad out of my price range, still a heck of a great price for that awesome AVR though and I love the dedicate "pre" mode if you add a power amp. Anyway, now I have 3D and I have 7 HDMI inputs at the back so I'm golden. I limited my 3D watching until I could do it properly with the lossless audio, mostly I'd play games in 3D which were just Dolby Digital.

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Forgot why I was coming to post here...anyone that pulled the plug on a VT60 or ZT60 in the last 6 weeks give yourself a pat on the back. These things are GANDHI from all the main resellers and there are no more on the boats coming from Japan. I got my TC-60VT60 for $1779 just before Christmas, the cheapest price I can find now is $2800 and that's not from a listed authorized dealer. The 65"VT60 was down to around $2129 and it's now up to $3800.

Once the Kuros ran out at the major authorized resellers they jumped in price through resellers like NYCPowerSeller or whatever their name is, we're seeing the same now with the VT60 plasmas. I'm VERY happy I ponied up and took the plunge even though I couldn't afford it, this TV is just absolutely stunning. Watched "Turbo" with my 3.5 year old last week-end, Holy Moses the blacks and colors were astounding. I watched a few minutes of the excellent "Saving Private Ryan" Blu-ray too as it's 1.85:1 and I like that big picture effect, can't wait until the wife and kid are away one week-end so I can watch that one with the sound cranked. I'm in TV bliss right now. Would be kicking myself if I had waited just 5 more weeks.

Celebrate!

PhantomStranger and aarsonbet like this.
  12. Oatsdad

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

dobyblue likes this.
  13. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I'm feeling the same way about my TC-P50S60. The blacks and the colours are just jaw-dropping. While it would have been nice to have the addition of the 96Hz frame rate, in order to watch Blu Rays at true 24fps, I couldn't justify doubling the cost of the TV set to get the next model up. And, I'm really quite happy with this set. There doesn't seem to be any LCD or LED set that even comes close, either in the same price range, or at double or triple the cost!

dobyblue likes this.
  14. I got my zd 60 a few weeks ago.

15. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Technics turntable gone, now plasmas. What's next...rice cookers??

16. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Where to get the last remaining plasma sets? If anyone knows, post the links for those that are late to the game.

17. alexpop

Coke's not the same,though Kellogs have kept their formula. :)

18. Yea, they make really good ice cookers, too! Their small appliances are more expensive, but built like tanks.

19. Are they really hard to get now? I bought early in January guess I pulled the trigger just in time then.

20. Oatsdad

Amazon no longer stocks them, and they're drying up elsewhere. Paul's TV has a ZT60 for $3000 - and looking at other "Amazon Marketplace" sellers, the VT60 is going for $3500! :eek:

Kinda doubt those $3500 VTs are selling - you'd have to be an idiot to spend MORE for the VT than the ZT.

Anyway, these suckers dried up almost literally overnight. I bought mine 12/31/13 and within a week or so, the sets vanished and the prices shot up for the ones you could find.

I don't 100% rule out a "warehouse stash" somewhere that emerges down the road and brings down prices for a while, but I wouldn't bet on it, either.

All I know is I'm VERY glad I pounced when I did! I was on the fence and not sure if I should wait - good thing I didn't!

21. Wow yeah I got my ZT 60 for 2399

22. I warned people to get them before the market supply dwindled.

23. Oatsdad

And my VT60 was $1800! Seemed like a lot when I bought it - looks like a steal now! :D

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

So if a warehouse stash DOES emerge and they start to sell for $100, this means you'll reimburse me for the difference, right? ;)

25. I believed these are great investments. Especially how much most of us use them. My last plasma was going for 8 years and cost three times as much. It's still has lots of life in it still

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.