Paradigm Studio series to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kitlope, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if there's an official Paradigm announcement (couldn't find one on google), but I found this on my local dealers website.

http://audioark.com/paradigm-studio-series-discontinued/

Sad news indeed, I've never owned a pair of the Studio series but did look into them in the late 1990's when I was putting together the home theater. A great & beautiful Canadian made line of speaker's that will be sorely missed.

[​IMG]

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, there is a new line coming out Feb 1 2015.
    I only saw a picture of the rear channels when I was at the Ark on Saturday, but they looked Boxyer and the price was considerably more. Is this the end of a legend ?

3. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's looking like it. I hope Paradigm doesn't follow Mirage's lead, once they discontinued the original OM series of the mid - late 1990s (and into the early 2000's) they brought out the gimmicky Sat series. Not that they're a bad speaker by any means but to do a complete 180 on the whole bipolar thing that made them famous for the previous 20 years slighted a lot of fans, including me. And they started manufacturing the speakers in China instead of Canada, so was a double slap to the face in a short period of time. They also sold out to Klipsch Group around this time, further alienating fans. Audio Ark, as you know, dropped Mirage about 10 years ago or so because of these reasons.

I hope Paradigm doesn't do the same and slowly destroy their brand and following. As you said, expect prices to go up though, seems that when a new line is introduced at the expense of a quality older line, the new pricing scheme is always more. Sometimes a lot more. I've always had a soft spot for Paradigm and I remember 15 years ago when I was a member of Home Theater Forum how many Americans just loved these speakers for movies & music, between the great sound, quality and low Canadian dollar at the time, it was a steal of a deal south of the 49th.

I really hope they don't mess this up.

McLover, SteelyTom and Tim 2 like this.
  4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I still use a ten year old set of studio 40's in my video system and love them dearly. I actually replaced them in my music system with a new set of Monitor 7's two years ago because I liked the slightly extended bass of the monitors. I haven't owned anything but Paradigm speakers in the last 18 years. Every time I go shopping I tell myself that I'm going to try something new, but I guess I'm too used to the Paradigm sound by now because I always come home with a new set.:angel:

Rickchick likes this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The original Studio 60's, 20's, and CC-450 comprised my surround system of the time. The original Paradigm purchase for me were the Monitor 7.

shirleyujest likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Don't even mention the Mirage debacle.
    I've had more pairs of Paradigms than I can recall and was never disappointed, price was always great too. Recently purchased a pair of Inspirations as they were the best sounding in there price range. Lets hope things continue as they have been.

Regards Tim

7. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Paradigm make fine speakers.

I bought a pair of Studio 20s more than a dozen years ago, which have since been retired to my video rig.

Run a pair of their Signature 2s in my two-channel system now.

Designed and built in Canada, eh!

thxphotog likes this.
  8. james

james Summon The Queen

Studio 60 v2's were my first real speakers. can't say i ever loved them, but they certainly opened my eyes

Upstateaudio and timind like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I started with 40's and now I have the 100's. I love them. and they are a great company. If you ever need anything, they answer the phone.

BZync, mcd4959 and Tim 2 like this.
  10. gojira

gojira Active Member

When I was in NYC, I got the Monitor 3 V.2's. Then after about a year got a great deal on a brand new pair of Studio 100 V.2's, which I had for quite some time. I had to sell them because of my subsequent move to Asia-they were just too damn big to ship them overseas. They sounded great in my apartment though! Sorry to see the Studio line go.....what line will be replacing them?

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sad to hear the news regarding the "Studio" line of Paradigm speakers. A few years ago, I dismantled my 5.1 system, which included a Denon AVR-5800 receiver, Paradigm Studio 100 v2's and matched Paradigm center, rears and sub, changing to my current 2-channel McIntosh amp/pre-amp with B&W 805D's set-up. Thanks to Steve Hoffman and all of these new "surround" releases that are coming out, I recently informed my wife that I wanted to pull those old Studio 100 v2's out of storage and re-hook up the old 5.1 system, next to the new 2-channel system. I have always loved the sound of those Studio 100 v2's and I have yet to hear another pair of Paradigm speakers that even come close to those v2's. In fact, for many years, thinking that I was really missing something, I went on endless listening trials with many other speakers that never satisfied like those Paradigm's did. Without doubling (or more) in price, as I did with those B&W 805D's, it was a very disappointing journey trying to ever better those Studio 100 v2's, in my opinion!

Tim 2 likes this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Sad news, I've been looking forward to the Studio v6 line for a long time hoping I might get a deal on Studio 100v5s and CC-690v5 to upgrade my current front soundstage which is Monitor 11v4 and CC-370v4.

Any clues on what it replacing it? Is it something designed to be between the Monitor and Signature lines still?

13. everton

everton Forum Resident

Paradigm is introducing a new line called Prestige. The link is here:

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/collection=reference/series=prestige

As you can see, the prices of those floorstanders are already higher than Studio floorstanders. I guess the next series of the Signature line will be even more expensive. I'm a Paradigm fan, and I think they made good products at reasonable prices. I guess they now realize that if their products are not expensive enough, some people won't think that they are good.

norman_frappe likes this.
  14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I thought the studio series sounded mighty fine. Much better treble than earlier Paradigm speakers. I hope they are replaced with something even better.

15. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

IMHO, these are very ugly.

Mohojo, gd0 and Tim 2 like this.
  16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I owned series 1,2 and 3 of the Studio 20. Two different series of the Studio 40 and the series 1 of the Studio 60. I also owned Studio center channels both passive and active. They were very good speakers. At one time I really loved the Paradigm sound and owned probably 20+ pairs.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I had Studio 20 v2 and the center for years, and my father is using them now. Really great value, sad to see the line go.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  18. everton

everton Forum Resident

Wow...20+ pairs? This made me curious. I saw in your profile that you have the LS50. What do you think of the LS50's sound compared to the Paradigm sound?

19. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I owned Studio 20s and Studio 40s before moving to my current Signature 4s. I've always felt that Paradigm was a really good value due to their economies of scale.

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Pictures can be deceptive, i'd like to see them in person, and hear them.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  21. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Love my Studio 20s.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Another Studio 20 lover here (with a Paradigm PDR subwoofer to boot)... Still running strong in my system.

So which line represents the new equivalent of the old Refernce Studio speakers — the Prestige or the Signature?

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I also owned the Studio 60.v2 and never loved them. I bought mine to replace a pair of the previous 9SE MKIII speakers. My son blew up the 9SEs which in retrospect were better sounding than the newer Studio 60s. IMO of course.

24. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Had Studio 100's for approx. 6 mos. Sold them as quickly as possible. The sounded "distant" and "flat". As I recall.

25. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

It's been a lot of years since I owned my last Paradigm Studio 20v3's. I couldn't do a good comparison. I'd say that I like the LS50 better but couldn't give you any concrete reasons.

PROG U.K. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.