Parasound Halo HINT 6, new integrated, replacing HINT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TerpStation, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g739

g739 Active Member

Curious if anyone's using their HINTO or HINT 6 to drive the Magnepan .7? I'm tempted to give that a shot, although if I do I'll definitely have to get a sub.

2. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

3. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

They don't carry the halo integrated last time I checked, and audio advisor shows the halo but when you click on it it goes back to home page.

4. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

There is a pro review in one of the audio tags whereas the author stated that the halo. The Maggie's, and beyer dynamic 880's 600 ohm are perhaps the greatest value in audio today under 5k....

5. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

That should read "rags" not tags lol

6. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

Ok correction...just checked safe and sound hq and they are now showing the original halo b stock at I believe 2195, must have got more in....

7. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

2550 if I was to pay by check but dont have the cash....credit....charge it! Lol

8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I noticed the HINT was absent from the latest Audio Advisor mailed catalog as well.

9. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

Yes I noticed that as well....

10. mysteryroach

mysteryroach Member

I was thinking of getting this combination as well (P5 and A23). You like? Are you running 1 or 2 subs with it?

11. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

I just bought the hint 6 in black for $2600 new..... I cannot divulge my resources lol. I think the gold accents look better on the black, plus black is more discreat and mysterious lol. I'll be driving my new spendor s3/5r2's with this. I think it should really make the spendors sing and the amp is very neutral and being so, should get out of the way and let the spendors do their thing......

12. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident

I look forward to your feedback on the amp paired w the splendors. I have the spendor a6r being driven by exposure 3010s2d

13. Audioguy85

Audioguy85 Active Member

I'm hoping they play nicely, as both speaker and amp are generally uncolored and neutral for the most part. I think they should play off one another well without either adding anything other than what's on the recording, maybe a bit on the anylitical side of things, which is kind of what I am going after....no harsh highs, no veiled midrange, and no bloated exaggerated bass. Just an honest presentation of the music. I think if anything, the spendors fabulous midrange should warm it up just a tad. Plus the spendors are at 83 to 84 sensitivity albeit a stable 6-8 ohm load, so the halo should drive them very well. I tried to avoid a bright or too warm an amp as, I did not want to influence the spendors to either side, right down the middle is what I'm going for. According to sterephile, the original halo did just that like goldilocks lol. Also my source components are generally tilted towards the warmer side, so this should be all the warmth I need without going to far...the halo shows what is upstream very well. And the spendors just sing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

15. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Just curious, what sound characteristics do you hear that bother you? Is it with jfets as output stages, input stages, or both ? Not trying to trip you up, just interested in what you’re hearing. The Parasounds for example use jfets for their input stages but mosfets for their output stages and I’ve been looking at them.

Cheers

16. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Anyone compare a HINTO or HINT6 with a SimAudio MOON i3.3? Curious if it would be an upgrade, generally, or a lateral move. Obviously, bass management is a plus as is the HT bypass (I have an older i3.3 that does not have that feature). I already have a separate phonostage. Driving B&W CM10S2s. SimAudio pairs nicely with them...

17. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

Would be nice to see if there is a difference sonically

18. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

Anyone had a chance to give one of these a spin ?

19. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I heard from someone thatbthe new hint 6 has better bottom authority . I wonder if this due to the op amp upgrades in the preamp

20. g739

g739 Active Member

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks good though the integrated does not work for me. While I like the modern amenities like DAC and USB port, I still want tape loops on my rig.

You have a short shipping distance as Audio Advisor is not that far away ...

22. g739

g739 Active Member

Heh, I bought my HINTO from Sound World in nearby Appleton. Initially I emailed Audio Advisor and inquired about a discount on the HINTO as they were not yet selling the HINT 6 but they were still selling the HINTO at full price. No reply. When I went to Sound World and asked about the HINT 6, they immediately told me that they didn't have the HINT 6 (even though I was mostly fishing for a good deal on the HINTO) but they had the HINTO. They ended up selling it to me for $2195. Can't recommend Sound World enough. Great people there who know their stuff. Not sure I'll buy from Audio Advisor anymore as I have a much better audio dealer within 30 miles.

23. coopmv

Back in the 90's, I bought quite a few components from the Sound Sellers, which was located in WI but might have closed as its website no longer comes up. I have been an Audio Advisor customer since the mid 2000's and keep getting their catalogs a few times a year. Have you tried shopping at HiFi Heaven, your local audio shop?

24. g739

g739 Active Member

I went there once several years ago. They were also very friendly and knowledgeable but at the time I was pretty focused on the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 (which I ended up buying and will never part with). After my experience at Sound World (which was the closest retailer of Parasound components), I'm much more inclined to buy local when possible and the next time I'm in the market for new audio gear I will definitely start with HiFi Heaven. Their store is fantastic and I was very impressed by the salesman.

25. coopmv

As I am out of state, I can also skip the sale tax ... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.