"Parenthood" new TV series on NBC based on the movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

Anybody catch this yet?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I watched the first two episodes. Wasn't very impressed. I was hoping it would be funnier, but it seems more serious. Maybe like Brothers & Sisters? I don't watch that show, but this seemed like what I imagine that show to be like.

There was a little more humor in the 2nd episode. The part at the auction wit Erika Christensen was amusing. I'll stick with it a bit longer, as I like most of the cast, but so far it isn't what I had hoped.

3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Am I hallucinating,or wasn't there a very-short lived series,based on the movie,also on NBC,about 20 years ago,not long after the movie came out????? (Not that I have any problem with hallucinating......)

4. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Nope, you are not hallucinating. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098887/

5. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

OK then...hmmm...didn't work twenty years ago...LET'S TRY AGAIN!!!!!:rolleyes:

6. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Of course I watched it. It has Lauren Graham in it.

Not very impressed.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So if Lauren Graham jumped off a cliff, would you jump too? ;)

8. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

+1. But I haven't seen it yet. :)

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Depends...do I jump first so she can land on me, or do I follow her, so I can watch her from behind...:shrug:

10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

If we could do it together, sure.

11. bencasey

bencasey New Member

That's why I'm not watching it. She annoys the hell out of me.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

the movie has grown to be one of my all time favorites. I saw it as a teen when it came out, when I got married and after I had a kid, and each time, different parts stood out to me, including me being able to closely relate to the loser brother who milks dad, and it truly gets me misty in certain points, esp the whole Kevin / baseball thing. We watched the first episode and it was ok. we'll see how it grows, I dont expect a carbon copy of the movie, but I do expect the way it feels real. So far the show has been meh, but I did feel the mom's pangs when she found out the kid was autistic, and Lauren Graham's date was fun, esp because at the end when she was pulled back into reality when her kid spots them. Sadly though, I have low expectations for the show, it feels been there done that, and I hoipe it doesn scare people from watching a really great underrated film.

13. Oatsdad

Your call! :wave:

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I watched the pilot and have the second episode on my DVR. I'm a huge Lauren Graham fan, and hope the show succeeds because of that. Peter Krause also deserves to be seen by a large audience.

However, despite NBC's huge Olympic push, the show's ratings already have spurred rumors that they're not strong enough to warrant a second season given the high-priced cast.

15. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Another Lauren Graham fan here. It's been ok, but a rather downbeat. More funny, less angst, please.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I can think of worse ways to go.

Difficult to take my eyes off Lauren Graham, but I'm increasingly averse to network TV, and haven't been compelled to watch this new one.

Maybe if she sat with me, I'd watch.

Better yet, she could sit with me and watch the original movie.

17. agentalbert

Exactly what this show needs.

Count me among the Lauren Graham fans. Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite all time shows. I've been a Lauren Graham fan since her great turn as an efficiency expert on News Radio.

18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I would. :D

19. Oatsdad

I noticed Senn20 - the original Graham-phile - never responded. I guess he jumped! :D

20. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yup. Andrea Planbee and her "anatomically-correct bra." God, Phil Hartman was the best. I feel sorry for the many people who have no clue about NewsRadio.

Speaking of that show and Lauren Graham, I suppose everyone knows that my avatar, Maura Tierney, originally had LG's part on Parenthood, but had to back out due to a battle with breast cancer. She's doing well now.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

She appears "anatomically-correct" in your avatar.

22. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I would jump. I've had a crush on Lauren Graham for a decade. I doubt I could stop myself. :)

23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

After watching the previews and commercials for the show I was really expecting a funny show, but have been disappointed that the humor is very rare in the show.

After watching the 2nd episode I had the exact same thought about Brothers & Sisters! It is a larger and maybe, by definition, a more diverse group of people, but I was really hoping for more of a comedy than what it is.

24. agentalbert

And according to what some of the actors have said, the change from Maura Tierney to Lauren Graham made the show funnier. So imagine it before. Not that there is anything wrong with Maura Tierney. She's proven she can do comedy. But the writers are not writing a funny show. Lauren just naturally adds a little more comedy, but not enough to carry the show.

25. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Craig T. Nelson is the funniest person on the show, IMO, but it's just not enough to make the show a comedy. Again the promos were very promising, but, as much as I was really looking forward to the show starting, it's a drama that had a lot of potential to be funny and smart too, but just isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.