Parks Audio Budgie Tube Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leviethan, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I've owned a Budgie for over three years now and I love it. I upgraded from a Bellari VP129 and I could hear a difference. The sound stage is quieter and fuller on the Budgie, with a more balanced EQ. I just use the stock EH tubes that it shipped with. I also have a set of old Sylvania JAN tubes, but I didn't hear much of a difference between them and the EH tubes.

I'm not sure if it would help you decide, but I have needledrops that I've done using the Budgie. If you're interested I could post a couple of examples later.

Crazyhorse11 and DanBNash like this.
  2. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

Yes I agree with the quietness, which is essential.

3. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Anyone using a Budgie try a linear power supply with it? I'm curious if it'd make a difference - seems like it would.

4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Well I jumped in a purchased a Budgie for my Planar 3. Counting down the days until it arrives. Early Christmas present for me!

5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

This is a very intriguing idea. As much as I love the Budgie, that little wall wart does not inspire confidence. One can get a 12V linear PS for not much money. I was even thinking about trying a SLA (battery) power supply.

6. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I just put those tubes in my Lyr 2 headphone amp and I am very pleased with how much they improved sound quality. Deeper, wider, and more detailed, 'natural' sounding music. They really bring out the bottom end.

7. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

I have the Gold Lion 6922 in my budgie and it sounds astounding. I like them much better than the stock EH!

George Blair and jimbutsu like this.
  8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was JUST thinking about while listening a few minutes ago. I put on records that I know have huge bass, and it's sounding kind of anemic. I moved the speakers toward the walls and then out again, and it didn't help. I might just grab a pair of those Gold Lions and see if it helps a little. I guess this is a question for Shannon, but would it be possible to modify the Budgie to use higher gain tubes like a 12AT7 or 12AX7? The output is fairly low.

9. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Add my voice to the "Gold Lions in my Budgie" chorus. They do a real nice job, very happy with them.

George Blair likes this.
  10. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

I think the bass is my favorite thing about the gold lions. It’s very clear, punchy and goes deeper than the stock EH do. The mids are very smooth and lifelike sounding with a touch of warmth and the top end has that sparkle but not bright by any means. That is in my system though so it may be slightly different in yours. Give if get them some time to burn in if you decide to try them out. If im remembering correctly the bass took a few hours of play to really come alive.
    Cheers!
    Ryan

Bananas&blow and Leviethan like this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Also upgraded to the Gold Lion tubes in my Budgie. Instant improvement, especially with sound stage and warmth. They are just what my system needed (in addition to the Budgie) to tame a slight brightness issue. The tube upgrade is affordable and not subtle!

12. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I picked up the Budgie Pre used from a fellow forum-ite with NOS Amperex tubes (which werepurchased from someone else on here!), and without question preferred the modern EHs to the Amperexes, much to my surprise (though the Amperexes have been put to great use as the drivers in my power amp).

I may have to pick up some Gold Lions for the budgie, though, given all ya'll's praise...

13. oregonalex

Can you elaborate on what you liked/disliked about each? I also don't think the Amperex is ideal in this unit, maybe too much of a good thing, but I like the EH even less.

14. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

This was well over a year ago, I don't have golden ears, and I'm fairly casual in my audiophileness, speaking comparatively to other forumites, so I don't have, like, notes on my listening impressions to refer to or anything. So take it with a grain of fuzzy salt... For context: I listen to mostly jazz, soul, and indie rock, and typically lean toward clarity, space, and detail wrapped in a blanket of warmth to tame the tizz without blurring those features. I'm also using a fully separate system with a passive pre-amp, so don't have the punch an active pre can give, and a tube power amp, so don't really need to add more warmth (full details in my profile).

From what I remember, the Amperexes had a nice thick sound, but lost a lot of precision as a consequence, e.g. favoring slam over slap, which isn't the best for jazz, and weakening the staging, depth, and "inner detail" that my (tube) power amp does particularly well. If you're listening to classic rock, the Amperexes would probably be great, but they didn't suit my tastes or system in the Budgie. In the Cary power amp, they're somehow great, though. The EHs have a cleaner, dryer sound, and I guess pushing that to the Amperexes in the driver position of the power amp is pushing a more detailed signal that the Amperexes then beef up a bit, whereas starting with the Amperexes in the Budgie and going to a cleaner tube in the driver position means it's starting from a muddier sound, after which that detail I like is gone for good. But I couldn't read a schematic if my life depended on it and have only the barest understanding of how tubes work, so maybe this is all just a story I tell myself to make it make sense :)

Based on the (concatenated) previous descriptions of the Gold Lions as providing punchier bass while retaining lifelike mids and an improved soundstage, they could be a nice exchange for my setup... I've already over-spent this month, though, so I'll have to wait a few weeks to find out. I'll follow up if/when I get around to picking them up, though!

oregonalex likes this.
  15. oregonalex

Thanks! I became curious whether my opinion of the EHs has changed after a year of using other tubes, so I have just put the EHs in the Budgie instead of the Matsushita 7DJ8s I had there and managed to listen to a record side. Too early to form an opinion, but here is what I have immediately perceived:

They are indeed dryer sounding, with somewhat 'simpler' feel, not creamy smooth like some of the NOS tubes I have tried. They do have a lot of midbass, but the bass extension and tightness is lacking. Treble is a bit harsh but not too bad, treble extension is good. There seems to be a bit of a dip in the upper midrange, rendering hot sibilants inoffensive, which is a major plus. Soundstage is very narrow, but cohesive - fine by me. I think I'll keep them in for a while, they are better than I remembered them to be.

senseabove likes this.
  16. oregonalex

I listened some more and I take it back. They are as bad as I remember them. The Matsushitas are back in. Oh well...

senseabove likes this.
  17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

18. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I use Amperex Jan 7308’s in my budgie and think they sound great! About to try some Mullard blackburn 6dj8 that I just got :)

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Amperex 7308s are my go-to favorite in the 6DJ8 family (and I've tried a lot of them). :agree:

Jelloalien likes this.
  20. If you haven't read the VTV article on the 6dj8 family of tubes then do so here.

PBo, ctgregory and bluemooze like this.
  21. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I just put the Mullards 6dj8's in today and first impressions are very warm and smooth. I think they'll stay in the budgie for a little bit.....

22. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I've used other Amperex 6dj8's prior and was never really super impressed by them, but these 7308's are a different story. Not to warm, not to bright, but just about right :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Favored by The Three Bears for their audio enjoyment...

24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

That output impedance is the one thing that has always struck me about the Budgie. You would think it would be more of an issue than it seems to be from reviews, though. What sonic consequence might be expected from such a mismatch?

25. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

I just got my Budgie yesterday, and am pretty much blown away so far. It's replacing a Rega Fono MM Mk2, which I always liked, but damn is this an improvement. I'll probably try some Gold Lions in it eventually, as of course I'm curious if it can sound even better, but again. it sounds really impressive already. Anybody on the fence should get off of it - this is a no brainer in this price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.