Parlophone Sgt Pepper's Pressing Questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ROFLnaked, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello--

Question for Beatles experts.

While my go-to copy of the Sarge is an original Parlophone mono, I do have a later stereo so-called "two-box" pressing in unplayed condition that I'm just getting around to checking out.

YEX 637-3
    YEX 638-3

"HTM" is hand-etched on both sides.

From searching the internet for a few minutes, it appears that this particular copy was cut by Harry Moss, and was part of something called the "Beatles Blue Box." Is it correct that it's a solid state, analog cut?

It's tough for me to compare different pressings, because my shiny mono copy sounds incredible on my mono setup, but it has serious sibilance issues on my stereo rig. My above-referenced 1970s (I think...) stereo pressing sounds great and it's been virtually unplayed. Would there be any appreciable difference in sound quality between this two-boxer and an original yellow & black Parlophone PCS 7027, or are we talking something only a dog could discern between?

Thanks.

2. ROFLnaked

Anyone?

3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Hi, what you have there is a mid 70s solid state cut and yes, by Harry Moss.

The original Stereo cut is a -1/-1 and it is a 'tube' cut, there is some debate over tube versus solid state cuts, I won't go into that now, and I don't own the -3/-3 cut so I can't comment - however, what I can say is, I have the Harry Moss Solid state cut of Abbey Road, which from memory is -4/-3 (or the other way around) - it is simply stunning, and I personally prefer it over it's tube cut predecessors - there is also a lot of praise for the very rare UK White Vinyl White Album, which came out in 1978 - again, it's a solid state cut by Harry Moss.

scorp997 likes this.
  4. JP Christian

is it definitely sibilance and not excessive surface noise?

Have you tried our Host's 'double Y' solution for playing mono records with a stereo cart?

It's not easy to explain in a rush, but to hear that mono record more accurately and without extra unwanted surface noise due to the nature of how a stereo cart works, you need to sum that signal to mono in your setup - the simplest way is to use a 'double Y' connector on the turntable lead - which sums the left and right to a single cable, i.e. a mono signal, and then puts that mono signal back across two cables which then go into your amp.

Adam9 likes this.
  5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You are comparing apples and oranges of course. The mono and (original) stereo pressings were tube cut. The stereo mix stayed in production and when new lacquers were cut, a solid state powered cutting head was used. Hence, there is a different sound & feel to tube and solid state cuttings just like when you listen to tube vs. solid state systems. The diff. is not huge, but definitely noticeable. There is no 'right' or 'better' cutting in my opinion.

Also the mono mix is quite different from the stereo. Again, your ears and preference will help you decide which one you think is better. Or maybe you will become like many of us and say: each mix has its merits.

FWIW I prefer listening to the original tub cut mono.

6. JP Christian

By the way, as wonderful as the original parlophone mono Pepper is, the new 2014 mono vinyl is generally my go-to version now - of course being solid state it doesn't sound the same as the original tube cut mono - there's slightly less mid-range warmth but I think it benefits - it's different not necessarily better - but if you want a version that will sound great on the stereo setup too, the new 2014 mono is highly recommended in my opinion.

7. JP Christian

I think the OP is well aware of the differences between the mono and stereo - his question is whether he should invest in stereo tube cut i.e. a -1/-1 or whether his HTM -3/-3 stereo will suffice.

I don't have a solid state stereo cut of Pepper so I can't comment on the differences - I can however, compare tube and solid state cuts of Abbey Road and I personally prefer the later, solid state cut over the first two tube cuts.

ROFLnaked likes this.
  8. Raunchnroll

Abbey Road wasn't tube cut. Maybe you mean the white album? The last tube cut was Yellow Submarine.

9. ROFLnaked

Hello JP--

In my mono setup, I have a 50s Fisher mono receiver.

From your experience with Abbey Road, it sounds like there won't be an upgrade over what I have.

10. JP Christian

Well I wasn't aware of that - I have a -2/-1 and a -2/-2 which sound 'like' they are tube cut - the -4/-3 HTM is my go-to version, it beats everything, even a MOFI and a Japanese Pro Use.

11. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

This is why I like this forum.

Wes_in_va, forthlin and Joshua277456 like this.
  12. Raunchnroll

I like the -2/-1 Abbey Road best. The vocals are spooky good in places. The later -4/-3 are fine too, its a bit more clinical (which some people prefer).

13. Tone

Tone Senior Member

You can compare many different version of beatles vinyl pressings here........ www.beatledrops.com

MLutthans and blutiga like this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

My opinion is (I have Pepper Stereo -1-1 Black and Yellow Parlophone label, and 1box EMI label pressing-also a -1-1.......and I have the Harry Moss cut you are talking about).......if you really love this album track down a -1-1 tube cut Stereo. 1box will be cheaper, but not by much anymore these days. I go for the tube cut personally. And just a thought....track down an Australian copy on ebay....all UK tube cut sourced -1-1 pressings up to the late seventies...you could snap one up for a third of the price of a UK copy.

15. ROFLnaked

Tone--

That's a cool site; thanks for the link. To be honest, I can't hear much of a difference (outside of volume) between any of the clips through these laptop speakers, however. I guess just the idea of having an original Parlophone is appealing.

I know this is highly subjective, but what's deemed to be a realistically "fair" price at this stage of the game for a VG++/M- yellow & black Parlophone stereo? The prices for completed eBay/Popsike/Collectorsfrenzy are all over the board, from $30 up to hundreds. Better phrased, what would one of you Beatles fanatics pay if you were looking for a copy?

16. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have both and do prefer the more tubey sounding -2/-1 version, warmer sound more 3D like>

sean

17. Raunchnroll

Internet prices have limited usefulness because a 'described as' NM copy that goes for $200 may not play as well (SQ wise) as described VG+ one that goes for $50. If a super clean original Parlophone play testsVG++/NM and was priced at $100 - I'd spring on it. Anything less is a steal. Even $200 is not out of bounds in my opinion. The issue is time: how long do you want to live without it? If your ceiling is $75 it may be a while until a true VG++/NM one comes along. Then again you could run into a one for $20 tomorrow.

Cassius likes this.
  18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This is news to me. I can't find HTM in the dead wax of my white vinyl UK WA. Are we sure about this?

19. Tone

Tone Senior Member

The original Parlophone Yellow and Black label mono and stereo are still the best sounding issues, IMO (though the new Mono's are close) ......

As for price, what Raunchnroll said....... also EBAY "completed items" is a good place to look and see what 'real-world' used prices are.......

For Stereo, the "One Box" issues are close to the originals Y & B in sound, and are often much cheaper and in better shape.

20. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Did Harry Moss do any of the one box stereo lps?

21. ROFLnaked

Hello Men--

Just got home for the day, and I see that my $50 best offer was accepted on a record exchange site for a yellow & black Parlophone copy of Sarge in purported NM condition complete with cutouts and psychedelic inner sleeve. (Seller has a 100% rating, so I'm optimistic.)

Even though I am trying to cut down on record purchases, I figure that whatever I can receive through eBay for my aforementioned 1-play 1970s two-boxer to offset this purchase will make it affordable enough.

Thanks once again for all of your input and advice.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What is your rig?

23. ROFLnaked

Hi Tommy--

My stereo system: ELAC Miracord 40H turntable; Fisher 400cx2 preamp; McIntosh 225; Altec Bolero speakers.
    Mono: Garrard Lab Series Type A (red/white/gray); Fisher 500 mono receiver; KLH Six speaker.

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a later HTM pressing. I'll pull it out and give it a listen for any siblance issues

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

As I recall mine doesn't have anything written in the deadwax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.