Passengers - 2016 American science fiction adventure film.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rfreeman, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

But if he wakes her up because he has to, then it's in her own interest to be woken up, because otherwise she would have died in hibernation with everyone else.

The movie did have the opportunity to punish him for his actions by having her make the other choice at the end, which would have been more believable and bittersweet. But of course they wanted the romantic version. It's the rom-com structure of, "Girl falls in love with boy -- Girl discovers relationship was based on a lie -- Girl forgives boy", transferred to outer space.

2. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Hmmm true indeed, but she still may have resented that that had to happen (and him) because she was still denied the 'big payoff' of reaching the new world.

I suspect a lot of people would do the things Pratt did ultimately; alone on a big ship with no hope of reaching the new world, sentenced to isolation and loneliness for decades. After a year or so of that it would get easier to talk yourself into doing just what he did, with no one to correct his moral compass, etc. A unique situation that would test even the hardiest souls I would think.

I actually thought that was how it was going to play out at the end (like the Titanic), but of course you're right, this story is all about romance and happy endings.

SandAndGlass and Solaris like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And like I said before, that's why I think they had to play that out onscreen, rather than have it be a third act twist.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

You're right. Stockholm Syndrome in Space is really original.

It's only thought provoking if you follow through with your thought. Resolving your central moral conflict with a catastrophe is not the same as following through with your thought. It's essentially a deus ex machina for a moral problem the writer is either too lazy or too unimaginative to resolve in a more compelling way.

It isn't so much that the filmmakers had their main character do something morally questionable. It's that they clearly had no interest in exploring that behavior intelligently.

I can imagine a suspenseful film from that synopsis, but as mentioned above it wouldn't fit the standard rom-com structure, which seems to be what the filmmakers wanted to adhere to.

IronWaffle and Vidiot like this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I watched this yesterday. I liked it overall, mainly due to the chemistry between the two main characters and yes because of the ethical quandary that the movie spent a lot of time on. But ultimately I felt let down in several major plot points. SPOILERS AHEAD....

1- I think they should have handled waking up person #2 differently. Use the loneliness factor of course, but also show that he's working on someone that may help him to survive long-term. Perhaps make her a botanist where he's scoping out her credentials and then falls for her journal entries. Still a problem but at least makes a little more sense to me.

2- Make her arrival ultimately an accident. I think if they tweaked things just a bit where he backs out of waking her up, but ultimately something he did still makes it happen later, at least his moral compass isn't quite as damaged as we saw in the film. Yes he's still to blame, yes she's still royally upset, but at least the creepy factor is palatable. Sure it's implausible, but then again so is not having any way to go back to sleep, or having a third person arrive just in time to figure out what's wrong and have them fix it.

3- Put them back to sleep at the end. I could swallow the whole race-against-time thing near the end, as ridiculous as that is. But they now have the means to wake up a few of a the crew and...they simply don't do it? How do they know that everything is A-OK for the next 89 years? Neither are qualified to really know. And then there's the 89 years eating food / using oxygen and heat / water usage to worry about - is this ship designed for that?

Better ending to me: we cut away with their romance thing - then it's 89 years later, the crew wakes up, we see them step out on the planet and....the two main characters are there, young and well (thanks to waking up the crew). Very Hollywood, but at least satisfying and even opening up a possible sequel.

Mike Rivera likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Did read the non too favorable reviews, would have liked to have seen it in the theaters but missed it.

Bought and watched the DVD yesterday. I liked the movie. I has no issue with any of the movie.

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I enjoyed this movie a lot because it had a story to tell & I brought no expectations to the viewing experience (which I always recommend). Not all "space" movies have to have the "shoot em' up" element in them to be good.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Better than I expected. I enjoyed the film

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

10. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I've enjoyed the movie, not the best sci-fi ever but good acting and interesting moral compass plot
    I have no ambitions of pointing how this or any movie could have been done better

For some reason the sci-fi audience are too much self entitled and cannot enjoy anything as it is: newest episode Ghost in the shell

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Really enjoyed the film.... my only quibble was near the end, when they used the groan-inducing Hollywood cliche of "reviving a character who has already been pronounced dead". :rolleyes:

Otherwise a great movie.... JL is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. :love:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought a used Blu-ray copy and watched it last night. I thought it was an entertaining movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The UHD Blu ray displayed on a 50'' Samsung Quantum Dot Display set with HDR looks outstanding, better picture than I remember seeing at the cinema, and the cinema room uses a 4K proyector.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I like this version much better - especially the suggested ending. Would have had a lot more impact.

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I thought it odd that the ship's services functioned 90 years sooner than they were expected to do so, but then figured if the hibernation system malfunctioned others might have also.

16. I thoroughly enjoyed it, both as eye candy and for the story.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. I think that the ship's system was keyed into any awakening passengers. I would think that, periodically, the crew would be awoken for a maintenance check, etc. and that would make sense but then it would also allow someone to put them back to sleep.

I think it would have been far more interesting if the person that could put them to sleep along with other members of the crew were jettisoned as in the original scripted ending. This would put the onus on the two awake to figure out how to run the ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.