Pat Benatar on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TNTguy, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TNTguy

TNTguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was the consensus that up to Seven the Hard Way that the only albums that had differing masterings worldwide were In the Heat of the Night and Get Nervous?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't know anything about this. What are the different versions of Get Nervous?

What I'm curious about are the two BGO 2-fers (Heat Of The Night/Crimes Of Passion and Tropico/Seven The Hard Way). Anyone have these and an opinion on whether they better the original ChrysalisCD releases? I know there are 2006 Capitol remasters. And for the 1st album, the DCC is obviously the way to go. BGO is hit or miss with me. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're compressed a bit much.

Michael and deredordica like this.
  3. TNTguy

I am just repeating what someone else said in one of the other Pat Benatar threads. It looks like all of the original releases were mastered by Steve Hall. Don't think there is a Japan release of this.

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I have the BGO 2-fer of Tropico/Seven The Hard Way. I can't speak to a comparison with the original CDs but I can advise the following: the disc has decent DR but does sound a little "smilie EQ" to me.

I have a BGO 2-fer of a couple of Huey Lewis albums and, where tracks are duplicated on their early 90's Best Of, I prefer the latter even when level matched. It just sounds a little less "in your face". My preference is for more "laid back" mastering.

The BGO's aren't bad (in my system, to my taste) but I doubt they'd be considered definitive.

Curveboy likes this.
  5. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Get Nervous is one of my favorite albums, but is seriously out of print. I can't believe it was never even released in Japan on CD. Even the BGO 2fer is OOP on this one. Weird.

Karnak and clhboa like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Managed to get the US CD of Get Nervous for about £15 a few years ago from eBay. I think it’s the first edition. Sounds pretty good. Never heard the BGO version.

ganma, Dave S and c-eling like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I was put off the twofer of Tropico/Seven as I heard some tracks on the former were edited. I think Painted Desert was one of them.

8. I've had the 2-fer since it came out, and I have never noticed any edits. I know the original albums like my own phone number.

Paul H likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Check Painted Desert. I’m sure there were complaints that it was faded early.

Edit.

Found the original reviews. Apparently Painted Desert loses 20 seconds. Invincible is shortened by 10 seconds. Poor old Le Bel Age loses a whole minute!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    mark winstanley and DesertHermit like this.
  10. TNTguy

I have the German pressing (610 012) of Get Nervous. It sounds good. I would be curious if it and the Nimbus pressing have the same mastering.

11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

There was a later pressing that did not include “Love Is A Battlefield. I assume it is not edited.
    Pat Benatar - Tropico- Seven The Hard Way

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. agentalbert

Glad you listed that. I noticed the different releases at discogs and was wondering if the 19 track version (no "Love Is A Battlefield") restored everything to its full length.

13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I know we're talking CDs here, but LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD and LIPSTICK LIES are studio cuts on the original LP and CD of Live From Earth.

Benatar* - Live From Earth

I don't remember BATTLEFIELD being on either Tropico or Seven.

EDIT: Never mind, I now see it was a bonus track on the older BGO CD

14. Paul H

Not on my copies, they aren't, Bobby.

15. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I made the mistake of buying that 2-fer of Tropico/Seven the Hard Way (the one with the bonus track) when it first came out. I had neither album on CD at the time, so I thought I was saving some money by getting them both on one disc. Ha ha ha. I then had to seek out the original CD releases, which ended up costing me more for each one than I'd paid for the 2-fer.

I'm also curious to know if the mastering on early Pat Benatar CDs differs from one country to the next. I only have one CD version of each of her early albums except Live from Earth, which I have on '80s-era pressings from both the U.S. and Japan. Both versions sound extremely similar to me, so they might be the same mastering. Since I didn't find the Japanese CD to be an improvement over the U.S. CD, I never bothered to seek out Japanese versions of her other albums.

16. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I didn't realize there was time missing from the 2fer, so when I came across a black triangle of Seven the Hard Way today ... I picked it up!
    [​IMG]

Dan Steele and c-eling like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I have the UK Nimbus disc. Sounds good, though it’s not one of my favourite albums by Pat.

18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Strangely enough, along with Get Nervous, The King Biscuit Flower Hour Greatest Hits live gets played most here. Not a sonic masterpiece by any means and somewhat compressed on CD, but it has a lot of energy.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. agentalbert

One wonders whey they bothered to shorten tracks just to include a single from another album on that 2-fer. Particularly since BGO also did a "Live From Earth/Wide Awake In Dreamland" 2fer that of course has Battlefield.

Pat Benatar - Live From Earth / Wide Awake In Dreamland

Galley likes this.
  20. OK, my BGO 2-fer does not have any "bonus tracks", and I can assure you all of the tracks are the complete tracks, they are the same versions as the LP's.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Galley, agentalbert and Paul H like this.
  21. Paul H

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. agentalbert

So I listened to my Chrysalis Tropico (Japan for US with CP32 in the matrix) today and thought it was pretty good. A bit bright, but that's indicative of the times. It's very dynamic. The drums on the opening track "Diamond Field" really stand out. I'd still like to be able to do a comparison to the BGO to see if it was better sounding. Would anyone who has the BGO 2-fer be willing to rip 1-2 tracks to FLAC to send me so I can do a comparison?

23. TNTguy

I love the Black Triangle of Tropico. If it's a bit bright it doesn't seem to bother me. But I haven't listened to the BGO.

24. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I bought a brand new vinyl copy from a discount rack for maybe $2.99 when new records were scarce.

ganma likes this.
  25. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I finally got a hold of Get Nervous on CD. An early Japanese edition from 1989 - CP28-1044. For just 5 bucks!
    [​IMG]