Pat DiNizio Of The Smithereens/New Self-Titled Solo Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I have to thank Reechie for bringing this one to my attention in the ESPECIALLY FOR YOU thread. :thumbsup: I had no idea it was out. It is a very pleasant surprise. This is the first Pat DiNizio/Smithereens album of original material in 8 years. I've been buying every album (of original material) Pat has put out since EFY. I really enjoyed his first solo record, SONGS & SOUNDS, from 1997. It wasn't the Smithereens, but it was still Pat's tunes, and his new band sounded great, & a lot like the Smithereens at times. GOD SAVE THE SMITHEREENS came out a year later. I wasn't as taken with this album as with previous 'Reens records. BLOW UP & A DATE WITH are probably my 2 favorites in terms of consistancy. I noticed on GSTS that the songs were written collectively by the band, and in the past Pat wrote by himself. (For those who don't know, Pat had probably written & sung 95% of the bands songs up to that point.) There are some fine moments on GSTS, but I filed the album away not too long after it's release. It the last 8 years Pat & the band have put out a 2 disc anthology & a couple of albums of cover tunes. To be honest, I wasn't really interested in the cover albums. I picked up MEET THE SMITHEREENS because it was on yourmusic.com. I was fun to hear once, but I rarely go back to it. I pretty much knew that would happen. Never got the anthology either. I have all the albums, and wasn't really interest in the "rarities".

I immediately hit this link Reechie posted about the new album. http://www.amazon.com/Pat-DiNizio/d...0151914?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191088208&sr=1-1 I have to say, I was a little hesitant when I saw the $18.98 price tag. Again, the last "real" album didn't really stay with me too long. No clips to play either. I checked out Itunes, and the album was on there for almost half the price. I listened to a few samples and said why not for 10 bucks. I'm glad I did. I've listened to it 3 times so far. Pat still knows how to craft a fine pop tune. The first 2 tracks threw me a little bit. They are a bit more subdued. I thought the album would start off with a bang. But now I really like the gradual build up. It makes more sense after a few listens. By the 3rd track, you get some of the upbeat numbers you expect from Pat and the Smithereens. I don't know all of the song titles yet, but it doesn't really matter. All the songs are strong. This might have to do with the length of the album; just under 30 minutes. I guess Pat learned a lot from making MEET THE SMITHEREENS. ;) Yes, it's short. But it's short & sweet. Very easy to listen to all the way through. Pat Dinizio & Smithereens fans should check this one out. Worth the wait. :agree:

Attached Files:

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not true - I have DiNizio's "Revolutions", a 3 disc package (2cd/1dvd) that came out in '06. Babjak plays guitars on it and the Thrilla plays bass. Not sure how many of these were released though - mine's a signed, numbered copy.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

If you're paying $18.98 anyway, go to www.patdinizio.com and he'll sign and number one for you and ship it for $20.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is a real nice set - well worth the long wait, at least he sent out the songs via email while we were waiting.

I will have to check out his new one - I did not know it was out.

5. Stateless

Guess I missed that one. I just looked online. There were only 300 copies pressed. Not exactly a wide release. :p Maybe a label (or Pat) will reissue it at some point.

6. avnut

avnut Forum Resident

Because I don't have my copy handy...is there any overlap of "Revolutions" tunes on this new CD?

The Revolutions material didn't grab me....but I would assume that this might be a step above that, if it was good enough for East West to put it out....

7. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I intend to pick up the new one ASAP...

AND on October 27th, I'M gonna BE at the Monterey Music Cafe in Allen Park, MI when Pat plays LIVE!!........:goodie:

8. Stateless

I have a question about REVOLUTIONS. I looked on the internet and understand that the first disc is the "real" album, the second disc is acoustic versions of the songs on disc 1, and the third disc is a DVD. Correct?

Anybody know if the first disc is available anywhere on CD or for download? I'm kind of surprised that only 300 copies were made available.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. avnut

avnut Forum Resident

Okay -here's the track listing that I have for Revolutions, looking at my discs....definitely some overlap, and I'm not sure if some titles might have been retitled for the new solo album:

1. World Ends
    2. So Wonderful
    3. Any Other Way
    4. Sometimes
    5. Someday Boy
    6. Love Runs Wild
    7. King Of The World
    8. On The Beach
    9. Dear World
    10. Don't Look Down

To answer your question - the Revolutions set, the 1st CD is indeed the album, 2nd CD is acoustic versions of the songs on disc one, and the 3rd disc is a DVD that is a "making of" for the album....but actually focuses quite a bit more on the making of "Meet The Smithereens" - it's must see stuff for Smithereens fans.

I imagine that as the Dinizio completist, I will have to have a copy of this new CD. As I stated previously, I was underwhelmed by the Revolutions stuff, but didn't spend a ton of time with it. It is not available on CD or download as far as I know. RE: the 300 copies, Pat seems to have done that with the last couple of projects (This Is Pat Dinizio was the previous example) releasing a multi-disc box set in low numbers, and following that with a pared down single disc major label version.....perhaps it is a testing ground of sorts to test out new material before putting it out in greater numbers? I dunno.

Certainly nothing will ever touch the 21 CD Smithereens box set that he put out several years back - that set was UNREAL good.

For Smithereens fans, I do HIGHLY recommend his first solo disc Songs and Sounds...which was reissued a few years back as a double CD paired with the last proper Reens album of new material, "God Save The Smithereens" The Songs and Sounds CD, and subsequent tour, were great.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

There are four new songs on Pat DiNizio that didn't appear on the limited Revolutions set. They are:

"Since You Went Away"
    "Night Without Sleep"
    "I Need You"
    "You Said"

The remainder of the tracks originally appeared on Revolutions.

Revolutions itself was designed to be an exclusive, limited edition release, and has not been issued by itself outside of the 3 disc set, apart from the songs that appear on Pat DiNizio. I guess this technically is the general release for the Revolutions material, so to speak.

By the way, while I'm here, let me give a shout out to Kristin Pinell's great slide guitar solo on "Since You Went Away". Her contribution to the track was added too late for her name to appear in the credits.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Stateless

Ahh...now the limited release makes sense.

So this is pretty much the first set of original Pat material in 8 years. I'm assuming Pat picked the best bits of Revolutions for the new record. I'm really enjoying in. Might be his strongest since A DATE WITH THE SMITHEREENS, which is one of my favorites. Anybody moderately interested in the Smithereens should to pick up DATE. You can get it for pennies on Amazon used. A steal. http://www.amazon.com/Date-Smithere...0151914?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191295261&sr=8-2 It's one of their best sounding records IMO with Don Dixon back behind the board. "Everything I Have Is Blue" & "Miles From Nowhere" are 2 of my favorite 'Reens tunes. Lou Reed actually cameos on the record with a few great solos. It was their first & last album on RCA. This was the only time I saw them live and they were in peak form. Nice that Pat is on a major label again...or a branch of one at least. I'm pretty sure East West is connected to Warner Brothers. Hopefully it will get some exposure. I think the 30 minute length is great. It just flies by with no filler.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.