Paterno

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tman53, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I think he was in denial, subconsciously not wanting to admit the reality of the situation because it would negatively effect his ability to win games. He passed it off and nothing was done. He let sleeping dogs lie because it was good for him and he didn't want to know. Good movie, HBO does it again.

Comet01, PHILLYQ and Jack Lord like this.
  2. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I think the theme of the movie was that Paterno was an idiot savant that could only see and care about football.

"I've got a game to win" kept coming up again and again.

Maybe it's a metaphor about school sports in general.

bldg blok likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, this thread isn’t the place is to discuss this.

(Moderator edit: Yes, this. Thank you, GodShifter. Non-topic posts deleted.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  4. arley

arley Forum Resident

Well, I dunno. Central to the plot of the movie Paterno was PSU's response to the scandal. But I'll be quiet.

Cheepnik, rburly and NaturalD like this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

After watching this I’ve been thinking lots about playing high school sports in the 90s and how crazy things were. We travelled and stayed overnight in hotels in tournaments and it was barely supervised and turned into lord of the flies. Thankfully nothing too bad ever happened but I did actually go to a school where years later a teacher/coach was caught having sexual relations a girl. Hopefully things are better now with it known what happened at PSU, MSU, the endless stories about hazing and teacher/coach-student relationships, etc.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you aware of the facts in the PSU case? This wasn’t some inappropriate teacher-student relationship or hazing....it was an older man raping children that were part of his charity in the showers. Let’s not even pretend that high school hazing (even extreme hazing) is like anything that happened in those showers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Hey, let's start a thread about Gone With the Wind. But don't anyone mention slavery, OK?

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That's not what I'm saying at all. I've read the reports know the details of the PSU and think football should be scrapped from PSU.

bldg blok and arley like this.
  9. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Obviously that would be too controversial. Someone actually started a Civil War thread the other day and I'm sure you can imagine ...

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's already happened. And we eventually had to zap it.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It is what it is here ...

/reality

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

[​IMG]

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  13. the movie comes a decade too late IMO.... it will end badly

Osato likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Getting back to the movie itself, is this a really subdued Al role? So much of the time, Al finds time to chew some scenery (which can be good or bad) . I still think one of his best 'disappear into a role' films was Any Given Sunday, so I'm curious how he plays this.

15. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction Thread Starter

He is definitely subdued. Not the who-ha Al. One of his better recent performances in my opinion.

arley likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

'who-ha Al' LOL

Thanks!

17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I didn't know what to expect... but it's mostly a movie about journalism and speaking truth to power. Pacino was great in it. Much better than his Phil Spector imo.

18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I just watched the HBO movie and was thoroughly impressed.

I was going to post some thoughts, but I think this poster here nailed it.

The same personality that lead Paterno to be the most talented, influential, and successful sporting coach in history lead him to react and handle the Sandusky situation the way he did. Genius is indeed situational.

Malina and GillyT like this.
  19. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Living outside the US (and no connection at all to the actual events portrayed in the film), I watched it purely for its intriguing narrative, great cast and notable director. I enjoyed the film immensely for its intelligence and for the way it allowed you to draw your own conclusions; withholding a vital piece of the narrative until the final minutes of the film, that was a king-sized kick in the gut, for me.

A very human drama that asks the question, at what point do we intervene / stop being by-standers? It may be black and white for some, but life is rarely like that. It stayed with me for days....

arley likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

He has plenty of idiotic company.

jdw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.