Patrick Melrose (TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

I haven't seen too much about this but wiki describes it as "Patrick Melrose attempts to overcome his addictions and demons done onto him by his abusive father and indifferent mother."

Seems like a good cast

It's based on a series of novels

Five of St Aubyn's novels, Never Mind, Bad News, Some Hope, Mother's Milk, and At Last, form The Patrick Melrose Novels, republished in a single volume in 2012. They are based on the author's own life, growing up in a highly dysfunctional upper-class English family, dealing with the deaths of both parents, alcoholism, heroin addiction and recovery, and marriage and parenthood

I might check it out.

Patrick Melrose: Patrick Melrose Trailer | SHOWTIME

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Episode 1 is available now.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Oh wow that was most drug use ever in a TV show.

4. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

not sure why but I can not stand Benedict Cumberbatch, I watched two minutes and saw it was going to be depressing and bailed

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Juan Matus

Any good?

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The first episode was mostly watching the character hurtle towards rock bottom. If that was continued for four more episodes, I would not want to watch it, but being reasonably confident it is going somewhere else, I am willing to give it the benebit of the doubt.

hbbfam likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It was okay. I’ll watch the next one.

Juan Matus likes this.
  8. Juan Matus

I thought the first episode was ok but not great. Ep 2 I thought was very good.

9. Juan Matus

10. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm loving this series, despite not being a great fan of Cumberbatch. I wish I could age as well as the characters in this though.

sberger, Juan Matus and audiomixer like this.
  11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I generally like him, but I also lasted only a few minutes. I just wasn't in the mood for petulant whiners and how they mistreat family members. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Great series. Great performances.
    Reminiscent of "Virginia Woolf".
    Highly dysfunctional human beings.
    Loving it!!!

sberger and alanb like this.
  13. dougotte

I've never been shy about revealing idiotic things I've done or said here, and this is no time to stop.

I decided to give it another try tonight, and realized that I had been watching the 4th episode first the other night. When I watched the actual first episode tonight, I loved it.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just did that with Big Little Lies. I watched the entire season finale first. It happens.

dougotte likes this.
  15. Juan Matus

So I just finished the 3rd episode. I have to say I like the show more and more and I am much more sympathetic to the character of Patrick after seeing it the latest. By the way anyone notice the Cumberbatch was wearing a cummerbund at the party?

16. dougotte

After having just watched the 2nd episode last weekend, I already have a lot more sympathy for the character. His father was a tyrant! You know the writing is good when you laugh out loud at some harsh humor, and a moment later you're heartbroken at the pathos.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Was episode 5 the last of the season?

18. Juan Matus

Wait until you see the 3rd then. Yes emotionally it's all over the map.

Yes, I believe so.

From Wiki:
    Five of St Aubyn's novels, Never Mind, Bad News, Some Hope, Mother's Milk, and At Last, form The Patrick Melrose Novels, republished in a single volume in 2012. They are based on the author's own life, growing up in a highly dysfunctional upper-class English family, dealing with the deaths of both parents, alcoholism, heroin addiction and recovery, and marriage and parenthood.[6]

Although the Melrose books are sometimes portrayed in the media as tales of decadent aristocracy, they are frequently caustic about the futility and triviality of people with inherited wealth, a point made very explicit in At Last, the final book in the Melrose series.

The books have been hailed as a powerful exploration of how emotional health can be carved out of childhood adversity.[7]

Mother's Milk was made into a feature film in 2012. The screenplay was written by St Aubyn and director Gerald Fox. It stars Jack Davenport, Adrian Dunbar, Diana Quick, and Margaret Tyzack in her last performance.

Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Patrick Melrose in a five-part television series, with each episode based on a different novel in the series. The series is a joint production of Showtime and Sky Atlantic. The series premiered on Showtime on 12 May 2018 to favorable reviews.[8]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Rufus McDufus and hbbfam like this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Put me in the loved it category. Wonderfully dark, comic and tragic almost simultaneously. Writing, acting, camera work, all first class. Hope it will come back for another round.

Juan Matus likes this.
  20. audiomixer

Nope. Just a one time production.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's what I thought.

22. audiomixer

It was a book.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah I know that but was hoping that they might take the original idea and move forward with it.

24. audiomixer

I think they were lucky to get him for 5 episodes. He's busy...

25. Juan Matus

Me too. But hit home at times and was tough. Thankfully there were the comic moments. But that's great storytelling for ya. They hit it out of the park imo.

audiomixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.