Patriot - Amazon Original Series.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Groovy, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I'm only half way through but this is one of the best things I've watched in some time.

It's a weird mix of tension, intrigue and laughter.

I can't say I've seen any of the cast, other than Kurtwood Smith, in anything before but they're all excellent.

**************PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS, THANKS.***************

DementedAvenger, trd and HJY1 like this.
  2. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After watching the pilot episode, I have to say, this is a mixed bag for me - not really feeling the "funny" or the "serious" so far - will watch a few episodes more though.

3. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm up to episode 5. I like the sometimes slow pace. Plenty of laugh out loud moments. I like it.

4. Groovy

Well I finished watching and it was great 'til the end - except the story isn't over. I know it says "season 1" but I didn't actually expect there to be anywhere else for the story to go. Glad I was wrong but also frustrated that I now have to wait for season 2.

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Binge watched the first 5 episodes on a plane flight yesterday...Good stuff...I was a little apprehensive after I read some reviews that called it something of a comedy. It's not...it's a drama with some comedic moments that come from situational perversity. But definitely a drama.

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After Ep 6 I have to say I never have seen so much sulking, shoe-gazing, self-pity and staring in a TV series. And a bit over the top in other (all ?) aspects and not really funny, but nonetheless somehow interesting where they go with this. So I keep watching.

That Leslie character is great though.

[​IMG]

8. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I'm really surprised by the lack of chatter (and love) for this show here. I stumbled on it on the weekend on Amazon Prime and really love it. For my money, easily the best thing on TV right now. It pokes fun at a lot of things along the way (e.g. Intelligence industry, corporate culture, meaningless buzz words, etc.). Great show. Interesting camera work. Interesting use of folk music. Come on series two.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm three episodes in and loving this. It connected with me right out of the gate and I'm finding it very funny.

10. Groovy

agentalbert likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

12. I thought they didn't renew it. It has taken forever to get the second season going. Looking forward to it as I loved the first season but I will probably have to watch the first season again to remember some of the story.

13. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

They put Lakeman's penchant for singing self-referential folk songs as a coping mechanism to fantastic use around the drug store scene in S2E3, a stunning construction, I felt. Also thumbs up for some Kinks in the soundtrack for S2E2 :thumbsup:.

Just as in season one, events in the second season consistently unfold in a manner that defies one's expectations, which I find appealing.

asdf35 and blind_melon1 like this.
  14. Glad to see the show back after a long wait.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This show is a real sleeper. I think I'm the only one in my friend group who has watched it...I think it's really good, though...Looking forward to watching season 2.

Coricama likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I just discovered this a week ago. Already through season 1 and halfway through season 2. I think it's great, the pacing, the humour, the character development and humour are great and the lady cop is mesmerizingly beautiful.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Ditto, shame they do much to promote this.

18. They do at Amazon when you are waiting for your selecti N of another program to begin and they also promote it as IMDB as well. I can’t think of anywhere else they could promote it.

19. Too bad it isn’t available as a physical product. You can download songs from the show however.

I kind. Of doubt it will be back for a third season as season two closed off the series nicely.

20. Groovy

The impression I got was that there would definitely be a third season because of what John had Leslie do in the last episode and the emphasis that was put on that story line.

Even though it had a different tone, I still enjoyed the second season immensely. There were some very funny moments and some nice character development too.

One thing I really missed was the title sequence from season 1. The visuals combined with Vashti Bunyan's 'Train Song' were just perfect. After viewing the new titles once I skipped them after that.

21. Well I hope so. I hated the opening credits for season two. They did noth8mg for me.

SMcFarlane and Groovy like this.
  22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I saw a ton of promotions for Man In The High Castle, the Romanovs etc. Don't remember ever seeing this one.

23. I saw a couple as I recall but, yeah, definitely not as high profile as the other two.

Coricama likes this.
  24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Brilliant, brilliant series. Strong acting all round, great dialogue and it's bloody hilarious!

I've recommended it to all of my friends. If you dig the Coen Brothers' style, you'll love this.

How good are the songs too?!
    My favourite is 'French Gun'

"The janky plan begins today, today I'm gonna make my way to a French gun.... The Iranians, the give him 40 'cause he's a dignitary, they get all the guns they can carry, and there's almost no other way, to get a gun today..... In France." :D

...Yes I typed that from the top of my head.
    I hope they compile these tunes on an LP one day.

I hope we get a few more seasons.

asdf35, Old Mac and agentalbert like this.
  25. Groovy

As it's November, I was all geared up for the third (and what I presumed would be the final) season of Patriot. So I looked on Amazon and read all the reviews bemoaning its cancellation.

This was of the very few shows I cared about and I'm gutted that some idiot at Amazon pulled the plug. Now we won't know what happened when the story moved to Iran or how they wrapped everything up.

But hey, it leaves room for more programming that's just like everything else we've already seen, just starring different people.

Damn it.

blind_melon1 and asdf35 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.