"Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits" to be released on Analogue Productions SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am going to pick up a copy of the 12 Greatest Hits CD since you and many others have posted favorable reviews. However, I was surprised to see that amazon.com has it for $13.98.

2. KeithH

Are there different versions under catalog number MCAD-12? I have my eye on a new copy from amazon.com and am wondering what is on it.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The vinyl just arrived from Chad & Co. Sounds absolutely gorgeous. My first-ever Patsy, so now I can hear her before I go outdoors. :laugh:

I love this town.

Kkfan and Get2Me like this.
  4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Amazon Prime had a bunch of like new copies for $4.95. I originally picked my copy up a at a library sale for $1.00.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So has anyone heard the SACD yet that can comment/compare to the redbook CD?

6. KeithH

Thanks. I figure I'll find a nice copy cheap in the bins or on eBay sooner or later.

7. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

It's very strange, there are NO reviews at SA-CD.net for Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits, and only one review of the SACD at Acoustic Sounds which is very negative, while EVERY review on Acoustic Sounds for the vinyl is 5-star.

8. Myke

The vinyl is breathtaking.

ahartfie, jupiterboy and ellingtonic like this.
  9. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

I don't suppose anyone has done a comparison with a near mint 1967 stereo original on the Decca label?

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Aw, c'mon, comparisons just spoil the fun.

11. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

If the SACD is as good as the LP I'll buy it...

12. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Me too... "if"... :D

13. ahartfie

ahartfie Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm new here and joined just because of this thread. I got both the LP and the SACD today. The LP is astonishing and made me weep. I could hear the Jordanaires individually at times, like on the ending "So strange" echos in "Strange". That nice acoustic guitar playing in "Faded Love" persists and I could hear the strings being played. The tremolo on the violins on "Back In Baby's Arms" instead of a muddy wash of strings. The removal of the abrupt stereo fade-in at the beginning of "Faded Love" that always seemed affected. The eighth-note cymbal work on "Why Can't He Be You" that I never noticed before. The clearly audible autoharp on "Leavin' On Your Mind" that isn't just an afterthought.

The SACD sounded great despite the DSD layer only being 2-channel as far as I could tell. It seems to retain the great balance that the LP has. You can hear everything. The tape hiss on Crazy is just about gone. (I wonder if it was there in the first place because she recorded the vocals separately from the others because of needing to recuperate from the crash?) I haven't listened to the CD layer.

I went back and listened to a few of the same songs from The Complete Decca Masters set and to me there is a definite improvement on the SACD.

As others have said it's like they're in the room with you. There's a balance, a clarity, a rightness that elevates the familiar into the sublime. I have lived and breathed these songs just about every day in the past 27 years since I found her music and I have bought just about everything, and I like these versions the best.

14. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

ahartfie,

Thanks very much for posting your thoughts and experience, it's very encouraging to hear something positive about the SACD version. I will probably end up having to get both, which I was hoping to avoid. I don't suppose you have an original 1967 stereo Greatest Hits LP on the Decca label (same cover photo) for comparison?

Welcome to the forum :righton:

ahartfie likes this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great review, ahartfie. Thanks.

ahartfie likes this.
  16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Welcome; thanks for the review. I just might buy a copy of this on SACD after all.

ahartfie likes this.
  17. Myke

The vinyl is breathtaking. Welcome.

ahartfie likes this.
  18. ahartfie

Thanks for the welcome, all! I don't have the 1967 version, alas. Well, yet. We'll see. :) This is my first Patsy LP. I haven't seen very many of them in my travels since I am usually on the hunt for Command and Phase 4 discs.

--Adam

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Which sounds better... the remix or the SACD?

20. ahartfie

So I've been listening to the CD layer of the SACD via FLACs and my headphones (SoundBlaster Audigy --> Sony STR-DE875 --> Grado 325s, not bad for the cubicle farm) here at work these past two days, and been comparing it to the other files I have. What I said initially about the balance and clarity of the LP is here, too, and I've been able to determine what it is. On the other versions, Patsy and the bass are louder than everything else. On the SACD and LP, things are much more even and level. For example, on "I Fall to Pieces," the steel guitar at 0:36-0:37 is much more audible to me on the Hoffman remaster. (Yes, I made sure that VLC Player and WinAmp's equalizers were turned off...) The soundstage also sounds wider on the SACD.

If you've been hesitating to get the SACD, don't.

21. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Hoffman remaster? :-o

Hoffman remastered Patsy Cline? Which one?

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I have now had the chance to play my SACD and everything ahartfie has been saying in this thread is spot on. I think this sounds magnificent. My only other Patsy Cline is some very old vinyl handed down by my dad, so this is revealing a whole layer of magic in these recordings that I never really gleaned before. Really great stuff.

Walk don't run, etc.

ahartfie likes this.
  23. Evan

Evan Senior Member

That can not be right. If there was a Hoffman remaster, people would know.

Kkfan and audiomixer like this.
  24. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Well, if you watch "man on the street" interviews (Jay Leno, etc.), a lot of people don't even know who the vice president is, so I'm not sure the knowledge of what Hoffman did or did not remaster extends too deeply into the public consciousness. But more than a few people around here would know :D

25. ahartfie

Sorry, I thought I saw it listed here when I was looking at the work he's done. My apologies! Whoever did it, it's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.