"Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits" to be released on Analogue Productions SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

A couple of years late to this party, but realizing that AP might only have a license for 3 years, and Universal's recent tougher licensing arrangements, I'd better get around to getting this before I'd regret NOT getting it...
    In reviewing this thread, after getting the SACD and comparing it to the Ludwig version, Keoki82 has a very good take on this. The 2 discs are different animals. At the moment, I am preferring the Ludwig version for the increased detail, and with the SACD, I am conscious that the source is another generation removed (more hiss, and some tape print through/post echo on some vocal peaks). That said, I can see a certain warmth in the SACD playing out through a smoothness in Patsy's voice, that is not quite there in the Ludwig redbook. This may be a case that whatever mood I am in will dictate which version I go to.

Here's hoping they use the mono versions on the upcoming Bear Family box. I used to have the old MCAD12 in the mono version, which I don't have any more and with hindsight, preferred. I tried to pick up another mono version from the links mentioned that sold the old BMG club copies, but wound up with another redundant stereo version- I have bought this material numerous times over the years. If Bear Family uses mono, I'm in.

2. I understand the complaints, but I like this SACD a great deal. It definitely has better resolution than I've ever heard before from digital Patsy Cline. I would almost certainly recommend giving it a chance.

ahartfie and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. The AP SACD is absolutely splendid. She sounds like she's in my living room. Sing it Patsy!

ahartfie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.