Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roscoe, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member Thread Starter

From IMDB:

Late country music legend Patsy Cline is set to make a return this autumn - along with 11 admirers who sing her praises on a tribute album. A remastered version of Cline's Greatest Hits, which has sold nearly 10 million copies since its 1967 release, is expected to hit stores in October, depending on the outcome of discussions for a companion TV special.

I know we have to keep an open mind, but I fear that someone will apply the dreaded "modernization" mastering (i.e. maximized and EQ'd to death). This seems to be the trend with these "event"-type reissues (e.g. Beatles 1, upcoming Elvis).

Does Greatest Hits even need to be remastered? It's been years since I have heard this on CD, and I can't remember what the sonics were like. a lot of the Patsy Cline stuff on MCA sounds pretty good to me.

Cline unfortunately has been the subject of numerous "modernization" attempts, such as the horrible pasted together "duets" with Jim Reeves and albums with the original backing tracks replaced such as Always and the Sweet Dreams soundtrack.

Enough already! Patsy's music is absolutely superb in its original form and shouldn't be fiddled with.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Roscoe,

Well-said!

Bob

3. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

My copy of Cline's 12 Greatest hits on 24k gold is probably the only version that I'll need. I believe it's by MCA, but I can check it later when I get home. That disc has a permanent home in my trucks CD changer (I'm driving the car).

As a side note, the only other gold disc that gets outside of my home is the SRV 20bit Master.

4. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I don't mind if people want to fiddle with Patsy's music, but I don't like folks messing with it.

That may well be a groaner...

5. rudy

rudy Forum Resident

Roscoe,

You stated the arguments against the project quite well. I have Decca vinyl copy of the Greatest Hits and it sounds great to me and I wouldn't buy anything else unless it's reissued on SACD. If it turns out to be only a tribute album, then make it similar to the recent Hank Williams Tribute album that came out earlier this year. That had some great interpretations by Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris, Ryan Adams, Beck, Lucinda Williams, and others. That one I liked.

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Re: Re: Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits Remaster

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I would love to hear that album remastered. I just listened to 12 Greatest Hits and compared Crazy and Sweet Dreams from the G.H. to another version I have on an Owen Bradley tribute CD released in 1996. Both were mastered by Glenn Meadows. The Owen Bradley disc has only two Pasty songs but the difference in fidelity was astounding. Sweet Dreams on the Greatest Hits was just a ghost compared to the newer version. Obviously when one version is buried in a cloud of hiss and another is full and strong you realize that they may not have found the proper tapes in time for the release. I guess they were discovered between 1988 and 1996. The other song was Crazy. First of all, the mono mix is highly inferior to the stereo mix on the Owen Bradley CD. The mono version on the GH is just anemic. Didn't Rhino put out a hits package of her stuff too? I wonder how that sounds.

8. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I think the MCA Gold disc sounds great. What are the odds that they'll actually improve things in a remaster?

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Who mastered the Gold disc?

10. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Glenn Meadows

My avatar finds your avatar really cute!:laugh:

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Patsy Cline Story has most of her hits in stereo and it has great sound, and also you can get the boxed set as the stereo recordings are stereo.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The Patsy Cline Story CD ain't too shabby either. 24 songs all in stereo, budget priced.

A liitle hissy, but thank God it wasn't NO-Noised.

13. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Hey don't be cutting in on my action I was just about to make a play. Unless Gary wants him/her/???

14. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I do hope that if they ever reissue the GH on SACD they include the mono version of 'Walkin' After Midnight' on the original Decca IMHO far superior (musically) to the stereo one that starts off the MCA UMD gold CD.

15. BradOlson

A great sounding copy of the mono version on a single disc is on the Varese 25 All Time Greatest Recordings from the 4 Star Years. Rhino's series of Patsy Cline recordings drew from the 4 Star Years as well.

16. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Gary's avatar was already rejected as being too normal looking!

17. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

My recollection of the Patsy Cline Story CD that I owned was it was not close to the MCA Gold in sound quality (IMO :) )...but yes a good value.

18. BradOlson

You are right Tangent, the sound quality overall on "Story" is only average when compared to other sources of the same songs but still I highly recommend the CD anyway.

19. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I recently picked up the 2CD "The Ultimate Colletion" (2000) based on some raves on this board. I was not dissapointed. Much better than the old "Commemerative Collection" I had.

20. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Yes, the mono 1957 hit version is far better than the re-recorded stereo effort on the Greatest Hits comp. The upcoming remastered version, unfortunately, will keep the same tracks: http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1612443

GM

21. BradOlson

BTW, the stereo remake of Walkin' After Midnight first appeared on the "Patsy Cline Showcase" LP which does remain available as a CD. If you want the stereo remake, you are still better off getting it on "Patsy Cline Story" or "Showcase."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.