"Paul Is Dead" revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Feb 21, 2004.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

I just listened to it on youtube, it definitely sounds more like "Homeless guv'nor." There's no way in hell anyone would hear "Paul is dead, man" until it's suggested.

Did any of you ever check out the weirdo Xtians videos playing world leaders stuff backward? If you read what it's supposed to be, it's uncanny, but if you don't, you hear something completely different, or nothing intelligible at all.

czeskleba likes this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers Forum Resident

Everyone should. It's a beautiful and sad documentary with some of the hottest guitar playing you'll ever hear, it's a rare mix.

BeatleJWOL and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Watergate?

Fullbug and Crimson jon like this.
  4. sbsugar

sbsugar Forum Resident

5. John and George are dead. Paul and Ringo are very much alive!

6. SJB

SJB Forum Resident

Watergate wasn't a conspiracy theory, it was a scandal that unfolded in real time through newspaper reports.

There are loads of real conspiracies out there, but they are exposed through investigation by journalists and/or law enforcement. Conspiracy theories tend to lack real evidence - Paul is Dead, the moon landing was faked, [insert celebrity name here] was murdered but they made it look like suicide/natural causes/car crash, etc. Nothing of that sort has ever been substantiated.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Only because oftentimes once it is substantiated it is no longer a "conspiracy theory".

Watergate seems like a good example of a conspiracy theory that was ultimately proved.

8. SJB

SJB Forum Resident

I dunno, the Gulf of Tonkin Incident involved politically convenient misinformation and a cover-up, but I don't think it goes into full-bore "conspiracy theory" territory. The conspiracy theory would be that the U.S. government was in the pocket of arms manufacturers, who demanded a war to increase their profits. (Bonus theory: JFK wouldn't go along with it so he was removed to make way for the more cooperative LBJ.)

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I see exactly what you're saying but I don't fully agree.

Basically what you're saying is that the term 'conspiracy theory' has come to be applied exclusively to the unproven ones, the bogus ones, the hoaxes.

If the Watergate conspiracy hadn't been properly investigated, maybe Nixon and his cohorts would have gotten away with it, and it would have become a 'conspiracy theory'.

Mr. Explorer and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This is done on purpose. Kurt figured out what to pronounce and record something that would sound as "she's selling escalator to hell" when played backwards -word for word I think. I don't hear the mumbling at the end of "I'm so Tired" as intentional, with John going : "okay, what do i have to say so that it sounds as "Paul is dead man, miss him".

Grunge Master likes this.
  11. Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha Wrong left turn, very bad mindset.

12. Zongadude

Zongadude Forum Resident

I've also read somewhere that the walrus mask they recieved for the shooting of MMT didn't fit John's head, so it is Paul that is wearing it instead of John. (Or was it on the photograph of the MMT double EP?). Hence "The walrus was Paul".

EDIT: Come to think of it a bit harder: it IS paul wearing the walrus mask on the cover, right ?
    Look at the rooster (or the parrot, whatever...) he is wearing glasses. It is John. John is not the walrus on the cover.
    That explains "The walrus was Paul".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    MarkTheShark and bzfgt like this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

No, that's Ringo wearing John's glasses over his parrot mask. You only have to look at the clothes and heights in the film and other photos: Walrus-John; Rabbit-George; Hippo-Paul; Parrot-Ringo.

John explained the line in the interview czeskleba referred to.

czeskleba and bzfgt like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Forum Resident

In the actual photo that this painting is derived from (seen below) it is clear that Ringo is the one wearing the rooster outfit (his moustache is visible and his mouth is recognizable). Presumably this photo was taken at the same time as the mimed performance was shot, which would mean John is dressed as the walrus and the hippo is Paul. That's also supported by the fact there's a visible wristwatch on the hippo's right arm (generally people put their watches on their non-dominant arm). So here's another clue for you all: the hippo was Paul.[​IMG]

15. SJB

SJB Forum Resident

The term "conspiracy theory" goes beyond suspicion or accusation of a conspiracy. The Watergate burglars were acting together to commit a crime, which fits the definition of a conspiracy, but Merriam-Webster defines a "conspiracy theory" as "a theory that explains an event or set of circumstances as the result of a secret plot by usually powerful conspirators." Members of the Committee to re-Elect the President were politically powerful, but the dirty tricks and "third-rate burglary" lacked the scope of archetypal conspiracy theories; there's no unimaginably powerful cabal manipulating world events, silencing witnesses and controlling a huge Web of people who were "in on it," with a preternatural ability to cover their tracks. For the JFK theories, some of the named conspirators were LBJ, Jack Ruby, Ruth Paine (who let Marina Oswald stay at her house), J.D. Tippitt, co-workers at the book depository, Secret Service, FBI, CIA, mafia, Cubans, Russians... For the moon landing to be a hoax, everyone at NASA had to be involved, along with the film crews who faked the footage. For Paul Is Dead, you needed the Beatles, studio personnel, Paul's family, album cover designers, police and medical personnel who saw the body... Watergate had about a dozen people, who bungled the job and were caught quickly.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Gems-A-Bems

And the administration running the executive branch of the US has no power? :rolleyes:

Did you even read the definition you submitted?

17. SJB

SJB Forum Resident

Yes, which is why I acknowledged the "politically powerful" participants. But are you suggesting that every criminal conspiracy investigation involving a high-ranking public official rests on a "conspiracy theory"? If so, then that waters down the term quite a bit. If that's the case, then yes, conspiracy theories have been proven correct (such as when a governor or senator is convicted of bribery), but I really don't think that's what people have in mind when they discuss conspiracy theories.

Does anyone else here strongly disagree? When you think "conspiracy theory," do you think "THEY are pulling the secret strings of power," or do you think "some politicians are dishonest"?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

No, it doesn't water it down at all.

What you tried to do was redefine the term you had just posted a definition for, substituting "unimaginably powerful cabal manipulating world events, silencing witnesses and controlling a huge web of people who were 'in on it' with a preternatural ability to cover their tracks" for a mere "theory that explains an event or set of circumstances as the result of a secret plot by usually powerful conspirators."

19. kaztor

kaztor Forum Resident

If I had to go by my 'bigger-than-Jesus'-theory and the fact that John got killed I can understand why the other Beatles decided to, for instance, not reveal who might have been the main instigator and let it rest, especially in these judgemental times.

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think it is clearly John in the Walrus costume. He also is the writer and singer of "I Am The Walrus". But as it relates to the "Paul is dead" hoax, Little Nicola on the back of the MMT EP, reminds us that John is NOT the walrus:

[​IMG]

And in Glass Onion, John makes it clear. "Here is another clue for you all. The Walrus was Paul." These clues together are actually some of the clearest to make one think they were playing some kind of joke by singling out Paul.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

Maybe, but I can't buy the fact that John remained silent for 10 years. If they had instigated the whole thing, they would have revealed it by 1980.

vinnie likes this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Forum Resident

As I noted earlier in this thread, the supposed instances of Paul being "singled out" are just random details that are being taken out of context and arbitrarily being given special significance for no particular reason. With relatively little effort, it's easy to find just as many instances of any one of the other Beatles being "singled out." Let's try John for instance:

On Sgt. Pepper, John is the only Beatle wearing eyeglasses
    On Magical Mystery Tour, John is wearing a black costume while the others are wearing white (since lyrics aside, it truly is John in the walrus costume)
    On Yellow Submarine, John has his arm raised in the air and he's displaying a mysterious hand sign, while the others have their arms at their sides
    On Abbey Road, John is wearing all white and the others are wearing dark-colored clothing
    On Let it Be, John is the only Beatle with no facial hair
    On the Hey Jude album, John is the only Beatle wearing a hat
    and so on...

And again, it's worth noting that zero evidence has emerged that there was any deliberate effort to single out McCartney. None of the Beatles (including John, one of the biggest loudmouths in the world) has ever said so. Neither has a single one of the many recording engineers, photographers, or graphic artists who would have to have been complicit if these alleged "clues" were created deliberately.

Mr. Explorer, SJB and vitorbastos123 like this.
  24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We already had this discussion about post #580. Lol.

The number of Paul references is incredibly high, and only a few could be forced for the other 3.

25. Gems-A-Bems

Why?

numer9 likes this.