"Paul Is Dead" revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

This is Exhibit A regarding the question: Did the Beatles ever use drugs?

2. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

Did the Pope ever pray?

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

There is a legitimate concern due to Manson killing people, and claiming the Beatles were putting clues in their albums.

If I were the Beatles, I doubt I would admit to doing it under those circumstances. I don't know if this happened or not. but it does make sense.

California Couple likes this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

Not when you consider the amount of people that would have to have both been involved, and kept their mouths shut for 50 years.

However--I do think some of the Paul stuff seems to add up to more than you'd expect from coincidence (I'm not convinced by "John is wearing glasses").

But something like the cover of this--was that after the hoax was already known, and they were playing into it?

Very Together - Wikipedia

It's possible that the evidence amounts to coincidences, and then after the theory was promulgated winking references like the above?

EDIT: of course that doesn't reference Paul specifically so it would also fit with any Beatle death theory...

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The Beatles had nothing to do with the release of Very Together.

And since you brought it up, please detail exactly how many people had to have been involved and how and why you arrived at that number.

6. California Couple

California Couple Forum Resident

You can only have so many coincidences until it is obvious they are not coincidences. Not that many people would of been in on their "in" joke.
    And they had a built in alibi, "No, Paul is not dead." Which is the beauty of it, because it is not about whether Paul is really dead or not, it is about him pretending to be dead.

xilef regnu likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

I didn't arrive at any number, it just seems like at the least a good handful of people would have to be involved or privvy. The Beatles had a producer, people doing album art, etc. And even putting that aside, it is unlikely they formed a kind of secret society of the four of them and made a blood vow to never disclose anything about the hoax.

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I don't think it would have to be more than the 4 of them. They had complete creative control by the time this was supposed to start. "

"You want us to take the picture with Paul backwards and standing on a box? O.K. Whatever."

bzfgt and California Couple like this.
  9. California Couple

Manson had people killed because he was hearing secret messages in their music! Of course they would have made a pact never to reveal it!

10. California Couple

They even put a "We're so sorry message" in Abbey Road because of it.

" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    all good children go to heaven"

11. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

But, why does it matter if John or Paul is the walrus? What does a walrus have to do with Paul being dead?

12. Gems-A-Bems

Why would a producer need to know why an artist wants something? And why would an artist necessarily tell the producer the actual reason (or any reason) why? All that matters is that it gets done. "Secret societies" and "blood vows" are completely unnecessary to that end.

13. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

"How can we make this say 'Paul is Dead' backwards--never mind why, minion!"

The Beave likes this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

The Walrus is a symbol of death in some culture or other, I'm sure...

15. Gems-A-Bems

Again, that's a completely unnecessary conversation considering their own access to recording equipment.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

I guess. It seems like human nature that they'd have spilled the beans to someone, and one of those people would have spilled the beans by now. Even Deep Throat identified himself eventually...

17. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

I don't really see the connection, Manson wasn't sending people out to kill because he was mad with grief over Paul's death, I presume...if one of the Beatles had copped to this in 1982, or 1991, would they have been blamed for the Manson killings?!

18. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Really? Never heard of that in my life

19. Archtop

Archtop Forum Resident

I'm reasonably convinced that the Beatles perpetrated the hoax, but I can't really find a motive. They sold boatloads of records; surely this couldn't push sales that much higher? In any case, there are just far too many clues for them to all be matters of coincidence. My personal favorite is on the bass drum skin on the Pepper cover (forgive me if this has been discussed already). Hold a small mirror at about a 45 degree angle so it is horizontal and bisects the words "Lonely Hearts." You should be able to see only the upper half of the letters and their reflection in the mirror. It now reads "I ONE I X HE^DIE," with the ^ pointing up at McCartney.

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Tavistock Institute

petem1966 and phantomime like this.
  21. thos

thos Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I remember noticing the black carnation, Paul standing backwards, and a few other things like that when I was a kid looking at the albums.
    I remember just thinking of it as a kind of "theme" they were going with, that Paul was like the black sheep or "odd man out" of the group.. possibly in an ironic way since he was (in some ways) the most prominent (perhaps most recognizable and popular) member of the group.

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

Why wouldn't they? It's you guys who believe in the conspiration that should explain why, not the other way around.

Does that mean Paul chose the title of the album and wrote the song with those lyrics, so that they could hide a fake clue of his death in the cover (with the convinence of the designer, I guess) that could only be seen by placing a mirror in a certain way? That seems too far fetched.

23. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

bzfgt and California Couple like this.
  24. California Couple

Note to whomever is going to ask, the final mix for "You Never Give Me Your Money" was August 21.
    Final Manson murder was August 10.

25. California Couple

The Satanic one has already answered this in the post above, but here is some extra info:

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

"The walrus plays an important role in the religion and folklore of many Arctic peoples. Skin and bone are used in some ceremonies and the animal appears frequently in legends. For example, in a Chukchi version of the widespread myth of the Raven, in which Raven recovers the sun and the moon from an evil spirit by seducing his daughter, the angry father throws the daughter from a high cliff and, as she drops into the water, she turns into a walrus — possibly the original walrus. According to various legends, the tusks are formed either by the trails of mucus from the weeping girl or her long braids. This myth is possibly related to the Chukchi myth of the old walrus-headed woman who rules the bottom of the sea, who is in turn linked to the Inuit goddess Sedna. Both in Chukotka and Alaska, the aurora borealis is believed to be a special world inhabited by those who died by violence, the changing rays representing deceased souls playing ball with a walrus head."
    - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walrus#Cult...