Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Scott Rodger's response: "No comment on the download-only material. But let me tell you a bit about our upcoming line of tote bags." ;)

2. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

They had to find a way to save 45 cents.
    Number 2 on your list doesn't really make sense, as the best McCartney/McManus song has been relegated to download only status.

NaturalD likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Yes, "Back On My Feet" is a favorite of mine too (I hope that is the song that you are referring to).

4. leeroy jenkins

Yep!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

I recall very distinctly hearing "Back On My Feet" when it first came out, and then bought an import UK single. I was very happy, especially as the Pipes Of Peace, Give My Regards To Broad Street, and Press albums were never favs of mine.

6. leeroy jenkins

I was also very happy with Back On My Feet (as well as Once Upon A Long Ago), but a little bummed that we had reached a point where new McCartney material wasn't even released in The US. Pipes of Peace was the nadir of his career for me - I really like Press To Play though.

7. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

So you don't think he had any problem hitting high notes on Tripping? The version I hear is full of voice-breaking, raspy, hoarse vocals on nearly every song. I have no problem with someone liking it, but there's no way his voice reaches the high notes without breaking apart.

mindgames and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exhibit A - parts of this sound fine, but others? Not so much:

Heart of Gold likes this.
  9. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Maybe I'm amazed is a tough one to sing. He doesn't pull it off lately in concert either and he should retire it or change the key.

As far as super deluxe edition interview with Pauls manager, I'm glad they are addressing the complaint. Paul from SDE is on our side so I'm hopeful that he expressed how a lot of people feel about the lack of bsides on cd on such a costly set.

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That was the point I made...a few hundred pages back. I don't understand why there's no stand-alone releases for a number of things, such as "One Hand Clapping" and Glasgow '79, instead of piece-mealing it to us, over several releases. The material deserves better than that.

Mr. Explorer, theMess, RAJ717 and 4 others like this.
  11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

He made a good job of MIA at Liverpool in 2015 and I was pleasently surprised especially after people, including myself in the UK tended to be cynical about his singing after the Olympic opening ceremony. No doubt any Youtube footage of the gig wont do it justice though.... I had first seen him at the O2 Academy Liverpool (very small venue for him) in 2010 and he was brilliant.

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t hear that

13. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

This. Exactly. It was a pretty gutsy choice to open such a high-profile tour with a new song that many people didn't know. But the band delivered the goods. In fact that is one of the songs where I've wondered all along how much sweetening took place, as I've heard numerous other live versions of "Figure of Eight" from that tour -- often it was sanctioned for TV in various nations and cities to film it and then show that, or excerpts of it, on the news -- and, to my ears, none of them come even close to matching the quality of the Tripping version or (sometimes) the energy in it. At any rate the live version is a huge upgrade over the studio version on Flowers, which sounds fairly stiff and restrained in comparison. (Same thing with "Rough Ride," but I digress.)

14. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Saw him at dodgers stadium in 2014 and oldchella in 2016 and his voiced cracked and sounded cringeworthy on MIA. You are willing to forgive a lot when you're actually at a show but when you are watching and rocking out and distracted by how bad his vocals sound you remember it clearly. Now during the early 200os driving rain tour, he could still sing it. It's okay, people age, voices change no problem. However, he should really think about those numbers that don't suit his voice so well anymore. Live and let die is another one where he sounds really thin and cracks. I love Bob Dylan and his voice is rough as Tom Waits on a 7 day binge of whiskey and cigarettes, but he uses it effectively imo and Macca should retire some of those tough one's. I loved his voice on NEW and will be at a record shop on some friday in the fall when his new record comes out.

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Or the new Bip Bop Remix!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

yep and like many post Beatles rockers, for some reason it was left off of "Pure McCartney"?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. Wingsfan2012

no far that is cheating....lol

I personally think "Pure" is one of the best post Beatles album covers of any Paul album..period...IMHO. That is why it is my Avatar. lol

Oyster Boy likes this.
  18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Is your stereo plugged in? :nyah: I clicked on that Youtube vid and at random, started listening at 0:40. Within three seconds, I was reminded just how lousy his vocals are on 'Tripping'. He sounds far, far better on Back In The U.S./World.

pablo fanques and RAJ717 like this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

LJ has commented for years at Beatlfest how MPL reached out to him for contributions to the future "Back To The Egg" box. But he even said he had no idea on a release date!

Mr. Explorer, Lewisboogie and JDeanB like this.
  20. Wingsfan2012

I remember the old "Rockline" radio show that Paul was on when "Tripping" was released and how happy he was that Bob Clearmountain did not want to do much "clean up" on "Tripping". That is a shame because some studio clean up on tracks like "Ebony and Ivory" and even "Birthday" would have helped!

21. Wingsfan2012

Amen Arnie......100% right

22. Wingsfan2012

MPL/Capitol and previously maybe Concord Music overthinking it and not realizing for a $150.00 list price that people want the physical media along with the physical books, box etc.

23. Wingsfan2012

The one high note which he hates amazing on "Tripping" is the line in "We Got Married" which elevates his vocals for the line "Who we are and what we're living for".....the "For" is very high and he nails it-that could be my fave vocal on "Tripping"!

Darrin L. likes this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea...how dare people pay for physical media and expect physical media.

25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Kind of surprised that FITD has not been listed on ITunes. Strange that they are not taking pre-orders as of yet while the physical media sites have listings for quite awhile now

Wingsfan2012 likes this.