Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

:)

At this point are you willing to bet against me?

And NO! My lips are sealed

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Not that I am aware of. But after what Concord did with Kisses On The Bottom — offering more content digitally and then re-releasing it in expanded form — I didn't want to be caught again with too many physical copies. So I bought the deluxe edition (14 tracks vs 12) on digital… and it turned out to be a good thing. (I also thought I might get the DVD edition, so that would be another physical edition to the pile.)

theMess likes this.
  3. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I'm now wondering if Sony owns it — wasn't it was part of the deal Paul made with Lew Grade for control of his solo catalogue?
    Sitting on saleable stuff is something that goes on all the time, sadly.
    I'm still surprised MTV hasn't started DVDing copies of the Unplugged shows.

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Nope, I put complete trust!! :righton:

Is it at least stuff that will please most of us on here? lol

5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Tough question to answer, remember the last time I gave an opinion underestimating how people would react. So respectfully I'll not make a value judgement

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think if the deluxe contained 15 DVDs of interviews then sales would be practically zero

7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I personally would not pay extra money for all these interviews. Like 5 varying copies of the same song when there is much more interesting stuff to give us is simply overkill IMO.
    Some folks praise the Dylan sets. While I respect the fact that some people appreciate them for their completeness, for me, I would never listen to discs containing 20 takes of the same song. But that's just me. As much as I love Paul's catalog, I would never want to see him do something is that

8. Wingsfan2012

Ok, then in your opinion is it a worthwhile "coming attraction"? I really hope if this is the last Achive which I hope it isn't, that Capitol/MPL goes all out on promoting it, get it back in the charts and create some discussion about this album almost 30 years later!

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Get it back in the charts! It seems they are doing their best to ensure it does not chart.
    What with the download issue and overall price hike!

Peace and love✌

10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I don't think even with the most massive media blitz in history would put a 3o year old album back in the charts. Look at this forum, other websites and discussion groups. The mere announcement that it was next created a substantial conversation about a 30 year old album. I simply can't and won't go deeper. As the things happen, I'd welcome conversation. The beginning of those conversation will start soon enough

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Honestly that's just silly Dave, an extra disk or even 3 extra disks would not get this set in the charts!

Beaneydave likes this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I have no doubt the deluxe Flowers in the dirt will bullet to a nr one chart position and hold it for 12 weeks. Why is that. The unique oportunity to download multiple version of Ou est soley of course.:)

Mr. Explorer and maccawings like this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

I beg to differ my friend, each of the Archive collection releases has resulted in each album re-entering the Billboard Top 200 album charts and the Pop Catalog charts to varying degrees of chart success. I do have a vivid memory of "Wings Over America" coming back in the charts a few years ago at #20 or something close to it.....

Skywheel and JDeanB like this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Love your optimism!

15. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Mmmhhh. the last two were a complete commercial failure.

16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I wonder if some things are held back for a possible future archive series Off The Ground, or if the big complete works version was it.

17. johnny moondog 909

A month or thereabouts down the road, my personal home CD of Flowers is gonna look like this

1. My Brave Face
    2. Put It There
    3. You Want Her Too
    4. Distractions
    5. We Got Married
    6. So Like Candy

7. This One
    8. Playboy To A Man
    9. Figure Of Eight
    10. Tommy's Coming Home
    11. Flying To My Home
    12. That Day Is Done

Or somethin like dat

supermd, Lewisboogie and maccawings like this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Would be thrilled to be wrong

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Luca, they were? Both recharted even though I know that the sales needed to chart today are much less than even 10 years ago

Thanks to Billboard magazine from over a year ago.....

Paul McCartney, Tug of War and Pipes of Peace — The Paul McCartney Archive Collection album reissue series continues to profit on the charts, as its latest rereleases -- Tug of War and Pipes of Peace -- return to the Billboard 200. The former, first issued in 1982 and McCartney’s last No. 1, returns to the Billboard 200 at No. 56 (8,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Oct. 8, according to Nielsen Music). Meanwhile, its follow-up set, 1983’s No. 15-peaking Pipes of Peace, comes back at No. 70 (7,000 units).

Both albums feature singles that topped the Billboard Hot 100, and both are duets: Tug of War’s “Ebony and Ivory” (with Stevie Wonder) and Pipes of Peace’s “Say Say Say” (with Michael Jackson) spent seven and six weeks at No. 1, respectively.

One of the bonus features on the Pipes of Peace reissue is a new mix of “Say Say Say,” with previously unheard vocals from McCartney and Jackson, where they switch lead vocals on the track. The remix was serviced to radio on Oct. 2 and accompanied by a new video, directed by Ryan Heffington (who choreographed Sia’s “Chandelier” clip).

On the Catalog Albums chart, Tug of War makes its first appearance on the list, bowing at No. 1 (8,000 sold). Pipes of Peace also pops on the first time, at No. 2 with 7,000.

So far, nine McCartney and Wings albums have been reissued in the Archive Collection series, and all nine of them have reached the top 10 of the Catalog Albums chart. Three of them have hit No. 1: Tug of War, Wings Over America (2013) and Ram (2012).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Without going into any detail about why, would you rather listen to the released 'FITD' album or the studio demos from '88? Do you think that Paul should have stuck with Costello as producer?

21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

1,000 posts by the release date is still a possibility! ;-)

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  22. johnny moondog 909

There's a lot more than 1000 posts right now.

You must mean a thousand pages

Mr. Explorer, RAJ717 and theMess like this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

this is a good question. It would be tough to decide or compare FITD as a finished product to the Elvis produced sessions (although not seeing the liner notes yet, are we sure these were produced by EC) is that although some of these songs were later worked on and completed and ultimately released, a few were not so we really don't know what the finished song would sound like. I love FITD as well so for me, it's not about one or the other as both have their positives but the 1988 demos do show us what could have been. I've had friends over for a listen and to a man/woman they found disk 3 the highlight of the set.

Now if we had stayed with Elvis producing the album who is to say that "Veronica" does not make it onto the album. Let's list the collaboration songs
    The Lovers that Never Were
    Tommy's Coming Home
    Twenty Fine Fingers
    So Like Candy
    You Want Her Too
    Mistress and Maid
    That Day is Done
    Don't Be Careless Love
    My Brave Face
    Playboy to a Man
    Back on My Feet
    Shallow Grave
    I Don't Want to Confess
    Veronica
    Pads, Paws and Claws (think I got them all)

I think just from the finished product from either Paul or Elvis releasing them it is quite an interesting album. Honestly listening to Paul singing "So Like Candy" and "PLayboy to a Man", it is head scratching that he did not release them. I think either could be released as is but a little more work might improve them.

But having said that, I would certainly miss songs like

This One
    Figure of Eight
    Put it There
    Distractions
    Rough Ride
    How Many People
    Loveliest Thing
    Flying to my Home
    and others that were hanging around

Would it have been better to release two separate albums or a double album? For me, it's a tough answer to the question either/or. But If I were to just separate the Elvis/Macca stuff on it's own...if you included everything..I'd be extremely happy with that album. Sorry, may be TMI, but tough to provide a simple either or answer for me. Would love to hear other's takes on this question

24. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

But I was talking about the Paul McCartney Archive Collection versions... I know the success of original albums :)

25. johnny moondog 909

It's Been said here, that there are already published articles from journalists reviewing the band demos. Someone mentioned the German blog for example. I couldn't find it and I tried.

Lots of people here, not specifically but guys like Andre, Chip, Wogblog, & probably 50 other guys & gals who write for a living or do broadcasts, some must have a copy, Bruce Spizer, the membership here is like a Who's who of rock writers & journalists specializing in Beatles..

So can't anybody point to some links or articles ! But Maccawings I appreciate you're describing the band demos... The word 'demo' can be so prejudicial or misleading.

Is Twist & Shout a demo cause it was recorded on a 2 track ? Course not

More later, dentist

Mr. Explorer likes this.