Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I don't know. I'd bet that the number of pages would have surpassed this thread's total had we all been waiting for the half-baked 'Wild Life' album which is frankly terrible if you are honest enough to step back away from it and rate it without bias. I think it has more to do with how old an album is. Just a hunch.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If that was the next card, I'd tell you to FLUSH... ;)

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Right. Dear Friend is "terrible".... sure. :o

4. Arnold Grove

Right. Bip Bop is "terrible".... sure. :help:

;)

5. BlueSpeedway

What about the Bip Bop link, Arnold :)

6. Arnold Grove

What about it? ;)

theMess likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's boring and overlong.

Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  8. BlueSpeedway

:) So is your post. Four words too long.

theMess, maccawings and supermd like this.
  9. BlueSpeedway

It's boring and overlong ;)

theMess, supermd and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

How about the Mumbo link then? That one is only 45 seconds compared to the Bip Bop link, which is 52 seconds long.

Wingsfan2012 and theMess like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I actually haven't heard those links. I have only heard the Spotify streaming version, which cuts those out, I believe.

12. BlueSpeedway

Mumbo is OK. That extra 7 seconds Bip Bop has, is the killer :)

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Both links are amazing and sample-worthy, makes it part of the interesting album it is. 'McCartney' (the album) style. The 'Bip Bop' link is played by Denny Laine, no? Rather hear those links on a loop than any of the non-singles from 'Flowers', bar 'Distractions'.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. BlueSpeedway

Ironically they're actually better recorded than Dear Friend, which sounds like it was taped inside a trash can.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Those links really do NOT have anything to do with the actual songs Mumbo and Bip Bop. The links appear on Side 2 of the original LP (while the songs appeared on Side 1). And I'm not even sure if those were the real names for them. If I'm not mistaken, when they first re-issued it on CD, they had to name the links something or other:

Side 2
    1. "I Am Your Singer" – 2:15
    2. "Bip Bop Link" – 0:52
    3. "Tomorrow" – 3:28
    4. "Dear Friend" – 5:53
    5. "Mumbo Link" – 0:45

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Huh. I had no idea. Thanks. I'll give them a listen if we ever get this album remastered.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Why wait?:

18. Arnold Grove

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Same reason I haven't heard Press to Play or Off the Ground in their entirety: I'm looking forward to some stuff in Paul's catalog. It's a finite resource. I like to parse some things out and having stuff to look forward to.

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I've edited it down to a pleasant 3:06. Makes for a much better listening experience.

Here are the other edits I made:

Some People Never Know 3:43
    Wild Life 4:35 (still too long)
    Love Is Strange 3:26

Paul H and supermd like this.
  21. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

If you don't care for me or my posts, as a human, music fan, or other.

I suggest you hit the ignore button & refrain from the personal attacks. Skip them, disagree with them, but no personal attacks.

But yes I have a personal life, thanks for asking.

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

How bout them Yankees?

SixOClockBoos and ZippyPippy like this.
  23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Arnie, headquarters has seen your work, the babushka road crossing.

Tomorrow night you must dine at the Bucaresti Hotel, ask for a rear table, order the cabbage rolls & ask for more fresh bread twice, this will identify you.

A beautiful gypsy will approach your table selling flowers & trinkets, she'll ask to join you for a moment & sit down. Under the table she will squeeze your left thigh & slip you an envelope containing a key for the 3rd reunion song. Tell no one. Your dental plan could be in jeopardy, & frequent flyer miles. Possibly more. Great work with the babushkas, careful with the gypsy.

It's been hard for me to recognize the slippage in popularity of music sales & the Beatles, to see it recognize how it is today. Part of that is the huge appeal they have live & on film & elsewhere. But in actual record sales it's gone. New albums or old, solo or group. In my mind they are the biggest recording stars In History, perhaps along with Elvis.. they still sell some records, but not hits I guess.

My point being, I guess that limits how much they want to spend promoting Flowers. If youre only selling a million dollars worth, you don't want to spend more than what ? 10-15 ℅ on advertising. They get lots of free publicity as Beatles, all the time, but does that generate sales anymore to any significant degree ? Does Paul & Ringo recording together for a day & making all the newscasts translate into an extra ten thousand sales of Flowers ?

One case I saw on the charts that interests me is Tony Bennett living so long, that eventually doing duets of old Gershwin tunes returned him to #1 on Billboard when he sang with Adele or Amy Winehouse when he was 85 years old, he did it a couple times.. So McCartney did that with Kanye, but he's hardly audible.. on So Like Candy or Playboy to a man, why can't they get some airplay with a single ? The Stones did with Plunder My Soul, are they even going to attempt a single ?

Doesn't matter to me, I just wonder why can't it work.

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I'd still rather listen to anything on "Wild Life", rather than "Motor of Sludge", or any of the other dreck on side two, if I am being honest enough, stepping back away from it, and rating it without bias.

Mr. Explorer and mindgames like this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...still...not "cringe-inducing", like some material on "Flowers".

mindgames likes this.