Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'm trying to put together my "Pre-Flowers Archive" playlist to get me ready for 24th, and the only thing I seem to be missing is the Pepperland version of We Got Married, even the YouTube link I found is blocked.

Anyone know a way I can get hold of this please? :cry:

2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

While the price is less, I don't equate them the same way.

For me, the Fleetwood Mac sets are more akin to the last wave of EMI Pink Floyd CDs: a justification for why this band, which has not released anything new of note in over a decade, is still demanding of the attention that it gets — but, since the material is already well known, it's being augmented with some extra material to make it even more attractive to others who have the original and want to delve back in again.

Whereas for Paul, he's still an active musician — and his re-releases are being targeted more towards a narrative of the whole project (the book, the documentary, the videos) as a testament to the whole project rather than just the music. For MPL, the Archive Collection is not simply a collection of material all related to the album; if that were the case, Flowers In The Dirt would likely rival some of the larger boxed sets today, given that you'd have discs for demos, early versions, b-sides/singles variants, promos, tour rehearsals, etc. and then for TV appearances, promotional films, documentaries, etc.

Moreover, I think we're all missing out the fact that Paul was a Beatle — and The Beatles have long learned by now that fans will pay for the extra deluxe packaging because it gives them more. That's an aspect which doesn't apply to most bands. I don't see fans debating which variant is the best bang for their buck, or theorizing on ways to re-release the album better all the time.

Heck, the Ultimate Archive Collection is a testament to how much material needs to be collated. MPL just hasn't hit the re-release well anywhere as often as other bands, and there's still a lot left ignored because of it. (Including Flowers In The Dirt, as five tracks are missing from the period even if you don't consider "Don't Break The Promise" or "Same Love.")

It says something when fans are salivating an upcoming deluxe edition of Sgt. Pepper that is nowhere as close to the added material as, say, the deluxe edition of anything Fleetwood Mac, The Beach Boys, The Who, Pink Floyd, or Derek & The Dominoes has released.

daveidmarx likes this.
  3. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

Maybe this has been done before, but outside of remixes and fifth physical disc, what songs would have made this Flowers set feel more complete? If I had to compile a reasonable session encompassing fifth disc this is probably what I'd include:

• Back on My Feet
    • Flying to My Home
    • The First Stone
    • Figure of Eight (Single Version)
    • The Loveliest Thing
    • Good Sign
    • This One (Club Lovejoys Remix)
    • Rough Ride (Rehearsal Version)
    • Same Love
    • Don't Break the Promise
    • Motor of Love (Demo) - I still haven't been able to track this one down, but I'm so curious to hear it since it's been talked about so much.
    • How Many People (First Run-Through)
    • Party, Party
    • This One (Original Version)
    • Figure of Eight (Alt. Version from Pizza and Fairy Tales)
    • Rough Ride (Alt. Version from Pizza and Fairy Tales)
    • We Got Married (Alt. Version from Pizza and Fairy Tales)

Sean Murdock and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

So at the "Flowers" preview at the Fest what were the fans most impressed by? The sound, the packaging etc?

5. Wingsfan2012

Still love "Put It There", should have been on "Pure" and would love this song returning to Macca's set list for 2017!

Also I think "PIT" is one of his best music videos ever!

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

For what it is worth, this Flowers set seems to be very poorly promoted, especially compared to the previous Archive sets. I have no idea if this is because of the switch to Capitol or just that Flowers really doesn't hold much nostalgic value to your average music fan. But previous sets had way more lead-up articles in various publications and online sites, and there typically was a free bonus track or two (obtained from Paul's site to download). So what's up? Are they waiting and plan to do all the promotional pushing in the next two weeks?

And do other people feel that the promo push has been underwhelming this time around?

7. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I do too. I hope we get some downloads offered from PM.com in the next week.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Parts of me hope and pray they are quiet with this release, so when it comes time to release Paul's single in June, they can go all out, without having something just been promoted.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It will start next thursday with a bang.
    I believe:)

10. Arnold Grove

I don't know. You'd figure that whatever they do now would not have any bearing on whatever they do for Paul's next studio album (whenever it comes out).

Would you agree, though, that the present promotion is weaker than that for the previous Concord sets?

11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I might pick this up..if I liked Elvis Costello...but I don't.

12. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I expected things to kick off, promo-wise in March. But we're over a week in and the set comes out two weeks tomorrow. Do they actually want people, outside of the core fans, to buy this thing?!

theMess likes this.
  13. paulmccartneyistheman

Yeah, because the lack of interviews and magazine coverage is strange. But I would argue that most people don't know/care about Flowers, that's a shame, but that could be a possibility.

And I don't believe promo would have anything to do with it usually, but if the next studio is timed for summer(which is beyond confirmed and is probably wrong), they might not want to go full on promo with an album just around the corner.

14. Wingsfan2012

Arnie very underwhelming, we are now 2 weeks away. Where is the promo push?

15. Wingsfan2012

Arnie is right if this is the "comprehensive" plan to push Paul's back catalog with Capitol, it is off to a "snore" start! But in fairness, there was also not a huge push for the "Pure" box last summer. A couple ads and a couple youtube videos and not much else!

Not much either for the just released "George" vinyl box either. Maybe Capitol is putting everything in the rumored "Sgt Pepper" 50th anniversary reissue?

16. paulmccartneyistheman

My mom was born in 1963, and she really loved Paul McCartney and Wings and had their singles and albums from the 70s, including the TOW era. But after that, she doesn't know anything McCartney. When I try to play her songs from Flowers, Flaming Pie and onward she doesn't care to listen, it wasn't her time.

I would suspect no one but the core fans, even if the promo was at full swing, would buy it. I couldn't imagine many others would just now suddenly get into it.

17. paulmccartneyistheman

This isn't the comprehensive plan, that will be announced in July. That's "coming soon"

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Good riddance.

19. SixOClockBoos

If you could track down the Oobu Joobu Collection bootleg, it is on there. It's only 40 seconds of demo though and the rest of the song kicks in after that. This would have been a good opportunity to release the whole demo of the song.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Well, they did release 3 remastered acoustic demos and a remastered "This One" on Spotify, so it's not all barren.

21. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

I would if I could, they really are amazing. Hopefully they let one of them be heard, but I doubt it. They're enjoyable, just take my word for it.

22. SixOClockBoos

Happy Thursday folks. For the last two weeks, there has been a new download available from the actual Flowers box released a little early. Last week it was "This One" and the week before that, it was the demos of "That Day Is Done" and "My Brave Face". Any guesses what the new download might be (or if there even is one coming out this week)?

theMess likes this.
  23. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

I've received a digital download of what I thought was basically the deluxe edition without the DVD portion: 2017 remaster of the album, set of original demos, set of 1988 demos, 31 tracks total. What's throwing me off is my set has a 32nd track track called "The Lovers That Never Were (Geoff Emerick Mix)" which I'd not seen on any of the posted track listings. This gives me a total of three versions of the song on this digital set. Can anyone shed light on this?

24. Arnold Grove

I believe someone here previously posted that there was a Hidden bonus track on disc 2 (I think it was mentioned to be included on disc 2). That must be it.

25. Arnold Grove

^^^Found it!!!: