Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I Feel A New Thread Coming On...

Her name was Jazmyn. I also had Poppy. They enjoyed snuffling around the undergrowth and rolling around in mud given half a chance when they were alive. They were both flowers in the dirt, now I come to think of it. :)

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Paul also played bass on the song Children In Need, from Spirit Of Play, a Nicky Hopkins project. It was released in 1988.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It has no effect on the song's meaning, but having three syllables vanish after 23 years feels a bit like a record skipping.

When was the "appealing" added? It's on Elvis' solo demo, which I had assumed was recorded shortly after the song was written, but I don't really know.

theMess, anodyne and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Good points. I normally don't mind the sunnier side of Paul, but in this specific song's case, I'm lumping it in with the rest of the McCartney/Costello songs, and it fits with them a lot better if the song stays dark.

I have yet to listen to Off The Ground, actually (besides a couple songs), so I'm not viewing "Mistress and Maid" in the context of that album.

theMess and MsMaclen like this.
  5. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Multiple interviews. I was just paraphrasing

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t be careless Love is a very unusual song-sort of three songs in one. I know the album version doesn't t get much love. IV always been slightly farcsinated by that track but it somehow lacks flow. Paul's high vocals in the beginning also sounds a bit strained. The acoustic demo has it s moments but is not one of the better of the demos. The band outtakes is-imo-yhe version were they almost get it right. Paul's high vocals here has nothing of the strain on the original version just a marvelous delivery,then the almost reggae rhythms makes a better bridge to the rest of the song and the chorus here has more of an eighties pop-flavor.(in a good way). Personally I think this version of the song makes much more sense than the one on the album-also with some truly breathtaking vocal gymnastics from Paul.
    Truly great stuff

7. mandtman

mandtman Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been posted before, but here's a beautiful version of Tommy's Coming Home that I found on YouTube. Makes me think it could be a popular song in an alternate reality. So haunting...

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You realize the intro vocals are the exact same on both the 1988 demo and the released Flowers in the Dirt version, right?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Let's not forget the "Spirit Of Play" charity single very discreetly released in the UK in late 1988, and which also featured the first ever mention of a record of the Hog Hill recording studio (albeit as Hogg Hill).
    Produced by Paul, who's also on bass and on (uncredited) backing vocals.

Spirit Of Play - Children In Need

theMess likes this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

'Tommy's Coming Home' would have been a great song for the Everly Brothers (had they wanted another McCartney - and Costello - song at that time).

Probably my favourite, so far...

jricc, Allen Michael, theMess and 3 others like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That might be the case. I just can't remember them. It's probably my fault.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I didn't forget... :D

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

My deluxe box arrived yesterday. Very happy with this set. What a beautiful package. I've listened to CDs 2 and 3 and watched most of the DVD so far.

The highlights for me so far are the great studio footage on the DVD, and the acoustic demos - particularly 'Don't Be Careless Love' which blows away the album version.

theMess and JDeanB like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Some words in defense of Rough ride to heaven. I certanely didn t like that one much when the album came out. Found it to be a generic way of Paul trying to be hip. Between the two beatlesesqe songs My brave face and You want her to it seemed a bit odd.
    Just as with a few other of Pauls songs or the whole of McCartney 2 I have changed my mind totally about this particular song. Why is that?
    Well -first of all it s a good song with a nice melody,great middleeight and some good lyrics. Paul sings with conviction and also play some pretty mean licks on the guitar. The electronic,computerized back up creates a very athmosoheric sound and the beat is really exellent. The synthhorns sound plastic in a good way.
    For the openminded Rough ride is an experimental and funky journey into dark areas Paul seldom reach for. Imo Rough Ride are one of the albums highlight not the opposite. I can understand it s not to everyones liking but I for one enjoy when Paul once in a while step out of his safetyzone and try something different. And Rough Ride is different-can t think of another Paul song that even remotely sounds like this one. This is a song Im defitively sure would have got the aproval of Lennon who seemingly liked Coming up-a different song but with a similar spirit as Rough Ride
    My journey with this song really has been a rough ride to heaven.

Jayseph, gja586, theMess and 7 others like this.
  15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Ooops... that's what happens when you answer a question that was asked a few pages before the current one! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No I did not realised that. They certanely don t sound the same to me. Perhaps has something to do with the mix -because the introduction vocals to me sounds much clearer on the outtake. But if you say they are the same I have no reason not
    believing you-even though my ears don t.:)

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Control yourself, Michael... Take a deep breath. *in* ... *out*

theMess, mrjinks and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Both versions of the song start off with vocals immediately. Jump on your computer and hit play on one for 10 seconds and then listen to the other. Easy to hear they are the same.

I edited my post to say the "intro" vocal is the same. One of Elvis' vocals later in the song is definitely different, and the 1988 demo overlaps vocals in the "predictable and nice" section, where the album version is just Elvis and Paul doing a single vocal line.

theMess likes this.
  19. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t think the intro vocals sound the same-could be that there is some processing of the voice on the album version. Also mixed differently.It seems more effortless on the outtake. So-you may be right but Im not convinced. And even if you are right I think they sort of hid a great vocal that is unearthed on the outtake.

21. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Coming Soon to the FITD BIG Thread (Comprehensive Dirt Box 2K17 Edition): You Want Her Too is almost as bad as Rough Ride?

"Follow posters wonder if Clayton has lost his mind!"

"That's right Bob, will his Macca Scholar status be revoked? Find out at 5 when he gets off work and actually write a proper post..."

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  22. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Thanks for the info regarding "That Day Is Done" with the Fairfield Four. All I was finding online were live versions, so I wasn't sure if there was a studio version or not. I ordered the 2-CD version of All This Useless Beauty earlier this afternoon. I got the Spike 2-CD reissue back when it came out. Spike was the first Elvis Costello album I bought (after seeing the video for "Veronica") and it's still one of my favorites.

23. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Wow! Thanks for that! I've been a big Robbie Fulks fan for quite a while, but had never seen that.

CWillman and theMess like this.
  24. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

n
    Maybe the original Figure Of Eight ala Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis
    That's how the producers described the very first skelleton of the song.
    With is original take, Paul might be vindicated after all :D

SixOClockBoos and theMess like this.
  25. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I think there is some confusion in regards to the studio and separate rehearsal space we see during the Put it there documentary.

Pauls recording/rehearsal facility has two distinct locations. One is a rehearsal barn, this is seen in Put it there where the 89 touring band is running through songs, for e.g. Rough ride, Figure of eight, Ain't that a shame etc. This building is made distinctive by the tapestries seen hanging on the white walls that decorate the rehearsal barn.

The second location is the actual recording studio itself, this is a separate building, most famously seen in the promo clip for 'Real love', where the Macca Mobile pulls up and Paul, George and Ringo walk into a white building. Inside the studio is made distinctive by the yellow and red painted panels, as well as many of Linda's blown up photographic prints (sun flowers etc), and a collection of drum heads on the walls. This studio can be seen during the Put it there doco where Paul and Elvis are running through an early take of My brave face, as well as the clip where Paul can be seen commenting, 'You can't ask for anything more than that man'.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

theMess, susyredstripe, Zeki and 2 others like this.