Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

My priority list, for all the nothing it is worth, is for new material over any reissue or Archive Collection release because we only have but so much more time with Paul.

And besides, I've been ready for a new album since October 15, 2013 :D

2. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

I sense that the reassessment issue is geared more toward the critics than the fans, who usually aren't as jaded (full of themselves?) and already are in his camp, so to speak. In fairness to McCartney, many of the reviews, especially from the 1970s, were quite scathing and not really an attempt at a fair evaluation so much as a forum for thinly veiled personal attacks. RAM was perhaps the most notorious example of it. Wild Life got its share. Back to the Egg was scorched by Rolling Stone in its review. And so on. Even Speed of Sound, a decent if not overly ambitious album, was notoriously panned by a reviewer who wrote, more or less, "Paul McCartney promised us some sh.. hot rock 'n roll on his next album. All he's delivered is the sh..". So I don't blame him at all for wanting them to give some of his albums a more balanced and objective look all these years later. All considered, he took their vitriol remarkably well. It must have required the growth of some pretty thick skin.

But, honestly, sometimes it's us fans, too, who can be pretty set in our ways. I remember back in the 1980s that Doug Sulpy, of 910 fame, was pretty vigorous in saying that RAM was lousy, and with a generous dollop of East Coast outspoken condescension in doing so. He is, of course, as entitled to his opinion as anyone. And we all have our biases as well. As informed observers we aren't often swayed in our viewpoints when someone disagrees. But that, too, can be engaging. It makes for some good give-and-take discussions if people choose to approach them in the spirit intended, as seen here recently in the Press to Play and Wild Life discourse. Fun stuff. I enjoy it.

Mr. Explorer, Paul H and theMess like this.
  3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Although I generally agree with you, I have to point out that Jeff Rosen, Dylan's longtime manager curates the bootleg series. Many would argue that Rosen is Dylan's most trusted confidante and so from this perspective it would seem Dylan simply lets his trusted friend and business partner manage his archives.

theMess likes this.
  4. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Does it say what it is on the card or you have to enter the code to find out what album it is?

UPDATE: Just checked mine. The card says Wings Over America and the download code got me... Wings Over America.

5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think this often gets lost in the maelstrom. I'm as guilty as the next man or woman. People post opinions and they do so vigorously. They're often responding off the top of their heads and, perhaps, don't have the level of eloquence needed to get their point across in the way they mean. That's often my problem. They're often not prepared to see another perspective, or even try. It makes for quite heated debate sometimes when, really, all we're doing is chewing the cud.

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-often there is heated debates about......well nothing much really.
    Maybe we are all gettin a bit crazy with all this waiting for,,,,,,nothing but an upgrade of an album we know by heart.
    When the thing finally arrive we can keep on arguing about....the merits of the remaster, what s missing or not missing
    And so it goes until the next Coming-soon card arrives. Then we keep on arguing if it s the wrong or right release
    And so it goes
    :)

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

See, McCartney knows about this forum. He knows there's a little group of people who chat around this stuff. He doesn't want our little cabal to break up when we run out of stuff to talk about, so he's dragging it out. If he released everything with alacrity, the chat would run out after a few months. This way, we get to chat together for years. We'll look back on these times in our dotage and smile about all the good conversations and jokes we shared. He's doing us a favour really.

8. For the Record

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean it's NOT life and death matters? Whew, I can breathe easier now... ;)

10. For the Record

Sure it IS! We might be all dead before this thing ever gets released! Could you live with yourself if we all died?!?
    [​IMG]

11. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I don't really want a reissue of FITD. I want Paul and Elvis to release a brand new demos album of their work together (without all the layers of production that drench FITD). The demos should be an independent new release -- and not just thrown in as bonus tracks on a reissue.

12. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

"Here we sit, two lonely old people ..."

theMess, Paul H and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I might have too... ;)

theMess likes this.
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

I disagree - he should have put out all the master recordings at once on one (or two) remastered box sets (and individually), similar to the Dylan or Elvis sets. It seems absurd that a 'remastered' demo of 'Women Kind' has been available to purchase easily for 5 years, yet most of his proper catalogue still remains unavailable in remastered form.

He could then stagger his own Bootleg Series at a more leisurely pace to get people talking and discussing and re-evaluating different periods.

15. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

And then there is the notion that, in the future, all these albums will be re-released yet again, as technology evolves and more options become available to bring them to the public. I could see a heritage series coming out (Venus & Mars 50th Anniversary Edition), or even a "Session Series" emerging someday, e.g. The Complete RAM Sessions, The Complete Tug of War Sessions, ... . And, yes, we'd all buy these albums yet again, as completists or to get still more new material as it is made available and with even better remastering. Most of us already own three, four, maybe five versions of Band on the Run. What's one or two more?

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

(Paul) You've Got us dancing In A Figure Of Eight,
    Don't Know If I it coming soon Or Going, if it s early or late.
    Round And Round The Ring we go
    We Want To Know, We want To Know,
    Why Can't you release A Continuous Line?
    Make Releases Reliable and deluxe All The Time.
    Up And Down The Hills We Go, we got To Know, we got To Know.

Is Is Better To know when it come out
    Than To Go Go For A Walk In The Dark?
    Is It Better To wait Than To Give In To Hate?
    Yeah We'd Better Take Good Care Of our old albums
    Avoid Slipping Back Off The Straight And Narrow,
    It's Better By Far Than Getting Stuck In A Figure Of Eight.

(Well) Figure It Out For Yourself Little Paulie,
    It Don't Go Nowhere At All,
    It's Nothing More Than A demo- tape In A Big Dance Hall.

You've Got Us Running ...
    You've Got us Running ...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

It actually says Paul McCartney and Wings Band On The Run and the underneath it says this download card entitles you to a free download of band on the run and it's 9 bonus tracks. I bought this over america brand new sealed thru Amazon and they replaced it with a brand new sealed copy. Both have the botr card

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I still doubt the "early 2017" release. The Capitol press release talked about catalog converting to them in July 2017 so that would not be early 2017. And as many have said just release something saying "FITD" and the archive series will resume once Paul is back on Capitol. I am still skeptical until we get some kind of official word.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah we might finally get the complete Mary had a little lamb sessions.
    Not to mention the complete Bip Bop sessions
    Can t wait:)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Hmm, depends what other music you like! I don't typically buy multiple copies of anything so that might be tricky.. I'd be happy to trade my Pipes of Peace archive edition with the inside fold incorrectly constructed upside down - thanks Concord! Lol I think it's doubtful that Chaos will ever be archived unfortunately so I probably will need to look into scooping up an old pressing at some point.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Granted when Paul left Capitol 10 years ago the entire music industry and Capitol themselves have completely changed, but I have little trust in a label that treated us to a whopping total of 1 "back catalog/catalog" reissue for the man-the 1998 "BOTR" 25th anniversary reissue. I love the Archive Series and only wish it would move a little quicker and a few more rarities, but other than that it is a very tasteful and elaborate reissue plan as is.

22. Wingsfan2012

Is this the Bizzaro world?

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  23. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I just can't see them starting off the Capitol contract with Flowers in the Dirt, I would imagine that a new album would be the way to start with a new label, like a statement almost. Of course I know nothing about that part of the industry and they equally could make sense, who knows?

I believe the timeline(if we take into account Ecectera's post back in July, and his okay track record) would be a new album in the Spring, and July will be how they'll carry on with his catalogue.

So if we don't see anything by October, I'd say we won't hear anything about his back catalogue until well into 2017. I hope we do get it this year, and there is still time. I don't think that a week or two after the Beatles movie will stop anything Paul related, nor the home media release in November. We did get NEW and Live At The BBC Vol. 2 in similar time frames, so why not Flowers in late November?

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

It would have to be as the Hamish Stuart/Robbie McIntosh band hasn't been Paul's current band for over 20 years...unless Elvis is that out of the loop? lol

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  25. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

They will have to re-do all the artwork for the Flowers In The Dirt Archive release to replace the old logo with the Capitol logo so it will be quite a while. Combine that with Paul wanting to delay it until after his next album of new material is released next spring, and it will likely be mid-to-late summer next year at the earliest. That is, unless some other Beatle-related release "gets in the way" and then it will be pushed even further into the "coming soon" horizon...

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.