Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Where'd you get the info Concord has the rights until June 2017? I think that contract is finished.

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

If the Concord deal was finished, why wouldn't the Capitol deal begin immediately? If the Hear Music/Concord deal was for 10 years, it should be up in April 2017. Of course, as noted above, MPL ultimately controls what gets released, so if they don't want Concord releasing anything until then, they can't.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Don't forget the music he made for the skype emojis

theMess, supermd and daveidmarx like this.
  4. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

What I really want these days from McCartney is for him to surprise me. And not by collaborating with Kanye (tho I liked those tracks) or by interviewing Harry Styles -- things that only seem designed to get Twitter's attention. This is an impossible wish but ... I wish Paul could stop being seduced by his lifelong need to be famous and just ... be an artist.

1. Release a new Fireman album.
    2. Stop singing any and all music from the 60s and 70s. You've done it. It's been great. It's made you a ton of money. Bored now.
    3. Stop dyeing your hair and grow a beard. He always looks nervous and unsure in front of cameras these days. He's not comfortable in his own skin. He looked great at the Eight Days a Week premiere -- except for his hair. So go gray. Grow some facial hair like Ringo to hide the sagging jowls. Do something to stop looking like a cross between Angela Lansbury, Alf, and Ken Dodd. God even a shorter haircut would look better than this sloppy mullet. Ringo's dyed hair looks good because it's very short; when Ringo grew it out for that George documentary, it looked ridiculous on him, too. (Yes, yes, i know, this is all very superficial. But we all know that image matters in pop and rock music. It always has. Paul's "look" has needed fixing for 10 years. )
    4. Don't just reissue albums. Create entirely new releases of old music. The FITD demos with Elvis should be its own album. Release a renamed Cold Cuts.
    5. The deluxe editions of the Archive Collection were excellent -- especially from Ram on. But there's no point in releasing deluxe editions of mediocre albums. So just do deluxe versions of the best ones -- according to my list of what is "best" of course. Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, The Fireman, Chaos, Memory Almost Full.
    6. Work with someone your own age for once -- a producer, a fellow artist. That would be a nice surprise.

But maybe at his age, he's just too set in his ways. Too much in his bubble. (I'm set in my own little bubble, too -- though it's far less rich and famous.) But a surprise sure would be nice from him.

Skywheel likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t mind to wait a bit longer
    My wallet agree-given all the moneyIv spent on boxed sets the last year
    :)

jlf and rstamberg like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The Concord deal is finished. Why the delay for Capitol to release anything until 2017? I don't know. Maybe it's a sell-off period for Concord's stock. That's just a guess.
    It would be highly unusual for Concord to release anything else now. Not unheard of, but not likely. PURE McCARTNEY can be seen as a "greatest hits" album ... many times such a release caps an artist's time with their label. Also, it'd be odd -- but again, not completely unheard-of -- for Capitol Records to announce Paul's re-signing if Concord had anything more to release.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok I hear you
    Best regards
    Paul McCartney

jlf, Wingsfan2012 and rstamberg like this.
  8. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

While indeed strange for me it turned out for the better as I had both the original release and the 1993 collection remaster at one point.
    I decided to get rid of one version at some point and had there been bonus tracks on the remaster I would have ended up with the inferior sounding version.

9. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

If April is when the contract is over for sure, the next product may be in May.. new album?

And they mention their new plan for the back catalog being in July, so that might be the new home for Flowers and all the other studio albums...

10. paulmccartneyistheman

I don't know how you could say that, I know you're entitled to an opinion, gosh you make me sick...

Do you know how many Coming Soon cards have been released? And how many you have if you've bought multiple versions? Count them, be grateful!

:D

Arnold Grove likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It certainly is. And here is proof of the "Retreat from Concord":

[​IMG] ;)

theMess, jlf, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  12. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Boy there is a forgotten charity album never issued on CD!

13. Wingsfan2012

Isn't that Sir Paul McCartney MBE?

theMess likes this.
  14. Wingsfan2012

Even though now it is looking like the "Pure" box was a contract fulfillment, the man finally having a post Beatles career encompassing box set is still noteworthy as we all know from the "Pure" Thread!

15. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I wonder who owns the rights. It's not MPL; the initial double LP was on Polygram when Paul was on Columbia.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  16. Brian from Canada

Nor should they have been. Put it into context: the last of Paul's previous albums came to EMI CD in 1991 — and Paul spent 1992 touring on Unplugged and recording his next album, which released its first single in 1992 and continued into 1993. By the time the remasters hit, he was touring again.

My guess is that EMI convinced MPL that remastering the catalogue like his contemporaries had — Led Zeppelin and David Bowie were notable in the early 90s for this — would be a great way to capitalize on the New World Tour. Unfortunately, the label in America had little interest in promoting the New World Tour all that much, nor Off The Ground.

It's likely EMI was still drowning in copies of All The Best! This is the only McCartney album to have LESS songs on the CD than the LP/MC editions — and was far more expensive at the time of its release than the LP, MC or Wings' Greatest.

By the same token, the only other studio album without a re-release was the 1992 issue of Choba B CCCP.

The 2007 edition of Tug Of War finally did, for what little it's worth. I think McCartney has always felt his strongest LPs don't need as much assistance in getting decent sales — which is why McCartney, Ram and Tug Of War remained fairly clear.

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It was on Atlantic.

18. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I always thought they botched the 1993 remasters completely - not just the sound quality (some awful noise reduction on London Town and a couple others) but the bonus tracks -

Had they simply taken the songs already mixed and ready to go from Cold Cuts - they would have had an interesting/worth purchasing set of remasters -- we'll assume if something is on All the Best it won't be a bonus track...

RAM - Oh Woman Oh Why, A Love For You
    WILD LIFE - Give Ireland Back..., Little Woman Love, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Best Friend, Mama's Little Girl
    RED ROSE SPEEDWAY - The Mess, I Lie Around, Country Dreamer, Tragedy, Hey Diddle
    BOTR - same
    VENUS AND MARS - Lunch Box/Odd Sox, Zoo Gang, My Carnival
    SPEED OF SOUND - Walking in the Park, Bridge on River Suite, Seaside Woman, B-side To Seaside
    LONDON TOWN - Girls School, Waterspout, Did We Met Somewhere Before?, Same Time Next Year
    BACK TO THE EGG - Daytime Nighttime Suffering, Cage, Night Out, Robber's Ball

I'd wager this set receives more purchases and interest.

theMess, Wingsfan2012 and daveidmarx like this.
  19. Brian from Canada

1980: McCartney II, singles for "Coming Up," "Waterfalls," "Temporary Secretary"
    1981: Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea [planned single aborted]
    1982: Tug Of War, singles for "Ebony And Ivory," "Take It Away," "Tug Of War," Michael Jackson's "The Girl Is Mine"
    1983: Pipes Of Peace, singles for "Say Say Say," "Pipes Of Peace"/"So Bad"
    1984: Give My Regards To Broadstreet film and soundtrack, singles for "No More Lonely Nights," "We All Stand Together",
    CD release for Pipes Of Peace
    1985: single for "Spies Like Us", CD releases for McCartney, Ram, Band On The Run, Wings Greatest, Tug Of War
    1986: Press To Play, singles for "Press," "Pretty Little Head," "Stranglehold," "Only Love Remains," remix of "Seaside Woman,"
    "Simple As That" on The Anti-Heroin Project, video release The Paul McCartney Special
    1987: All The Best!, singles for "Once Upon A Long Ago," video Once Upon A Video,
    CD releases for Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, Venus And Mars, McCartney II, Wings Over America
    1988: Russian-only release Choba B CCCP
    1989: Flowers In The Dirt, The World Tour box set, singles for "My Brave Face," "This One," "Figure Of Eight"/"Ou Est Le Soleil,"
    home video Put It There, CD releases of Speed Of Sound, London Town, Back To The Egg
    1990: Tripping The Live Fantastic, Tripping The Live Fantastic Highlights, singles for "Put It There," "Birthday," live cuts on Knebworth,
    "It's Now Or Never" on Last Temptation Of Elvis
    1991: Unplugged (The Official Bootleg), Liverpool Oratorio, singles for "All My Trials," "The World You're Coming Into,"
    "Save The Child", home video Liverpool Oratorio, EMI issues CDs of Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace, Give My Regards To Broadstreet
    1992: Liverpool Selections, domestic release for Choba B CCCP, single for "Hope Of Deliverance," feature film Get Back
    1993: Off The Ground, singles for "C'Mon People," "Off The Ground," Paul Is Live, home video Movin' On, home video Paul Is Live,
    Paul McCartney Collection remastered CDs in two waves
    1994: Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest, single for "Biker Like An Icon"
    1995: "A Leaf" single
    1996:
    1997: Flaming Pie, Oobu Joobu: Ecology limited bonus, Standing Stone, singles for "Young Boy," "The World Tonight,"
    "Beautiful Night"
    1998: Wide Prairie tribute to Linda, Rushes, singles for "Fluid"
    1999: Run Devil Run, Working Classical, singles for "Fluid" and "No Other Baby"/"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man,"
    25th anniversary reissue of Band On The Run
    2000: Wingspan: Hits/History, Liverpool Sound Collage, home video Live At The Cavern Club, "Nova" on A Garland For Linda
    2001: Driving Rain, singles for "Freedom"/"From A Lover To A Friend," Concert For New York, home video Wingspan

…and those are off the top of my head.

jlf and theMess like this.
  20. Brian from Canada

It was a filter, plain and simple. Helped clean up the acoustic tracks dramatically — but the electric fell flat.

Paul was still talking about Cold Cuts in 1993, so he was holding off. However, there were cuts left off — as the 2007 iTunes editions revealed. What we should have had, in my opinion, was something different altogether…

• McCartney
    • Ram with "Another Day," "Oh Woman Oh Why"
    • Wild Life with "Give Ireland Back To The Irish," "Give Ireland Back To The Irish (Version)," "Mary Had A Little Lamb," "Little Woman Love," "Mama's Little Girl"
    • Red Rose Speedway with "Hi Hi Hi," "C Moon," "The Mess (Live At The Hague)," "Live And Let Die," "I Lie Around"
    • Band On The Run with "Zoo Gang," "Helen Wheels," "Country Dreamer"
    • Venus And Mars with "Lunch Box And Odd Sox," "Venus And Mars/Rockshow" (single edit)," "My Carnival," "My Carnival (Party Mix)"
    • Speed Of Sound with "Junior's Farm," "Sally G," "Walking In The Park With Eloise," "Bridge Over The River Suite"
    • London Town with "Same Time Next Year," "Girls' School," "Mull Of Kintyre"
    • Back To The Egg with "Goodnight Tonight (long version)," "Daytime Nightime Suffering," "Wonderful Christmastime," "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae"
    • McCartney II with "Check My Machine," "Secret Friend," "Goodnight Tonight," "Coming Up (Live At Glasgow)"
    • Tug Of War with "Rainclouds," "I'll Give You A Ring," "Ebony And Ivory (solo version)"
    • Pipes Of Peace with "Twice In A Lifetime," "Ode To A Koala Bear," "We All Stand Together," "Simple As That"
    • Give My Regards To Broadstreet with the same two remixes of "No More Lonely Nights"
    • Press To Play with "Hanglide," "Spies Like Us," "Back On My Feet," "Once Upon A Long Ago (long version)"
    • Flowers In The Dirt with "Flying To My Home," "Loveliest Thing," "The First Stone," "I Wanna Cry"
    Note that Wings' Greatest isn't there — because I'd delete it.

All The Best!
    would be reissued in an expanded 2 CD form though, so it would include: "Another Day," "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey," "Hi Hi Hi," "C Moon," "My Love," "Live And Let Die," "Jet," "Band On The Run," "Junior's Farm," "Listen To What The Man Said" (single), "Letting Go," "Let 'em In," "Silly Love Songs," "Maybe I'm Amazed" (live single), "Mull Of Kintyre," "With A Little Luck" (promo mix), "Goodnight Tonight," "Coming Up (Live At Glasgow)," "Ebony And Ivory," "Take It Away," "Say Say Say," "Pipes Of Peace," "No More Lonely Nights," "We All Stand Together," "Spies Like Us," "Press," "Once Upon A Long Ago" and "My Brave Face"

To me, that's a better representation of the catalogue at that time.

21. Brian from Canada

I think the Flowers remaster will be in spring 2017.
    He'll reissue a single in February for Record Store Day — possibly the "We Got Married" promo mix, or "My Brave Face" with the demo on the back — and then put the box set out in April, sort of like he did with Ram.

theMess likes this.
  22. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

There's no "promo mix" of 'We Got Married'. There IS a 4:00 edit of the LP mix.

23. Brian from Canada

It was issued on a promo single, for potential release commercially as the next single – hence why I call it the "promo mix."
    "Promo edit" is a better term.
    I only picked it because it's a rarity that can be put on single with little to no mixing required.

theMess likes this.
  24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I can see it now: Concord put McCartney on gardening leave for the best part of a year...

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

If nothing surfaces in the next two weeks of new Paul product, I think it's time for my search to being. I've just got morning hours at my job so I have more time to kill...

Someone once said that Paul might have music on the internet that we know nothing about. Like Fireman music, just sitting there. Put out for his own amusement.

I'm 99.99999% sure it does not exist, but folks I'm getting desperate... :D

Johnny Reb, theMess, jlf and 2 others like this.